Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Jasper end of June- bug question

Jasper end of June- bug question

Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jasper end of June- bug question

OK - at the end of June - are we better off staying by a river or by a lake bug wise or does it really make no difference as we will be eaten alive anyway? Does the moving water of the river mean less bugs or is this wishful thinking?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:14 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jasper end of June- bug question

I don't think it makes much difference.

The bug situation varies from year to year, depending on the amount of rain that Jasper has had. However, June does tend to be quite bad for mosquitoes.

But it's not really so terrible. The mozzies are worst in the evening. But that's a time of day at which the weather starts to feel cooler, and you in any case tend to need a long-sleeved shirt, long trousers and socks. So that in itself helps.

But I would be sure to take mosquito repellant with me (and, if you forget it, you can buy some in Jasper). My husband and I have different philosophies about mosquito repellant. He uses a brand that contains DEET. I refuse to put DEET on my body, and I buy mosquito repellant from a health food store.
x
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
OK - at the end of June - are we better off staying by a river or by a lake bug wise or does it really make no difference as we will be eaten alive anyway? Does the moving water of the river mean less bugs or is this wishful thinking?
Probably wishful thinking I'm afraid - we're very close to Jasper and I can only echo Judy's comment about making sure you have good bug repellant - they'll be everywhere! Maybe slightly worse around a lake than beside a river, but it probably won't be that noticeable a difference. Where are you thinking of staying? If you're still researching, The Grove suites at Patricia Lake look gorgeous.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I don't think it makes much difference.

The bug situation varies from year to year, depending on the amount of rain that Jasper has had. However, June does tend to be quite bad for mosquitoes.

But it's not really so terrible. The mozzies are worst in the evening. But that's a time of day at which the weather starts to feel cooler, and you in any case tend to need a long-sleeved shirt, long trousers and socks. So that in itself helps.

But I would be sure to take mosquito repellant with me (and, if you forget it, you can buy some in Jasper). My husband and I have different philosophies about mosquito repellant. He uses a brand that contains DEET. I refuse to put DEET on my body, and I buy mosquito repellant from a health food store.
x

I am interested in what you say about using a non-DEET mosquito repellent Judy. I never used the DEET types either on us or the kids when we have been to places in the Mediterranean etc, but when we came over last summer, I had been so terrified by everything I had read about the West Nile virus, that I got the DEET ones here.

Do you find that the ones you get are as effective as the ones your husband uses? I really don't like the idea of spraying the kids with chemicals every evening when they want to go out to play, but I don't want them to take the risk of getting something very nasty - particularly as we have one of those storm water ponds out the back of us, which I am sure will attract mozzies.

Thanks for your help!

Lisa
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Probably wishful thinking I'm afraid - we're very close to Jasper and I can only echo Judy's comment about making sure you have good bug repellant - they'll be everywhere! Maybe slightly worse around a lake than beside a river, but it probably won't be that noticeable a difference. Where are you thinking of staying? If you're still researching, The Grove suites at Patricia Lake look gorgeous.
Grove suites ( pricey ) do look gorgeous and we are undecided between Patricia lake plain old bungalows or beckers chalets

Gryph
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Grove suites ( pricey ) do look gorgeous and we are undecided between Patricia lake plain old bungalows or beckers chalets

Gryph
That would be a hard choice. I've stayed in neither, but I'd probably be swayed by the fact that there's what's supposed to be a pretty good restaurant at Beckers (there isn't one at Patricia Lake Bungalows) and the possibility that the mozzies *might* be less so close to the Athabasca River, as it is pretty fast flowing at that point.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I have stayed in Patricia lake bungalows and the only thing I will say against them was that we were in lower suite and the bouncing of the ball at all times on the floor of the upper suite and the stomping up and down the stairs of the noisey children made for a sleepless night and an uncomfortable stay!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys

We booked beckers, restaurent does look good and maybe less bugs!!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys

We booked beckers, restaurent does look good and maybe less bugs!!
Cool

PM me if you fancy making a trip over to Lazy Dog Acres while you're in the area, for your kids to see our little hobby farm (llama, alpaca, sheep, minature donkeys, pony, etc!)
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

We were at Beckers year before last - very nice - good position on the parkway made it easy to drive between tourist sights - lovely to sit by the river at night too - watch out for the elk - also saw a black wolf along side the road close by ...

Bugs were minimal - but it was August - think the worst had past - no black fly either - in fact - we haven't found black fly yet anyway around here.