Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Its my Constitutional right/belief religion.

Its my Constitutional right/belief religion.

Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its my Constitutional right/belief religion.

Here is the latest doozy from a member of the public who believes that to him Iced Hockey is a religion and that he should be allowed to wear his Edmonton Oilers hat in his driving licence photo.
Red Deer man refuses to remove Oilers cap for driver's licence photo - Calgary - CBC News

Does this guy just want his 15 minutes of fame or does he have a case. he can always self represent himself at a reasonable fee

6. How much will this cost?
The Court will charge you $75 to file your application for leave to appeal and $75 to file any motion that is not filed with your application for leave to appeal.

You should be aware that, if the Court dismisses your application for leave to appeal in a civil case, it may order you to pay, in addition to the filing fees paid to the Registrar, costs claimed by the respondent. Costs are generally not ordered in criminal cases.

Costs for applications for leave to appeal range from $800 to over $2000. You may therefore wish to consult a lawyer before bringing your leave application. Only a lawyer will be able to provide you with an assessment of the merits of your case and your chances for success.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:30 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its my Constitutional right/belief religion.

Who makes the rules? Who says what is or is not a religion? He could find a really old Oilers book and say he believes in what the book is saying to him, like what people do with the Bible, Koran (or any other book that breeds hate and wars)
Old Mar 11th 2016, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't wear hats apart from when its around minus 20C and above.
Perhaps I should go out and buy a Manchester United hat because as can be seen in this link MUFC is a religion

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mufc+...KyikaFYxZ6M%3A
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:02 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

And there was me thinking FL had gone all Pastafarian on us...

Pastafarian Woman Wears Colander in Driver's License Photo

If it's OK in the liberal USA...
Old Mar 11th 2016, 3:56 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting post.
Presumably the photograph is required for identification purposes.
Now if the subject had a beard and shaved it off would he need to have a new photograph taken? If this would be the case, and since the wearing of a cap seems so important, would he need a new capless photograph taken if the Oilers ever died out or lost favour.
If stopped on the highway without his cap, would the photograph demonstrate that he was not who he said he was by virtue of the missing cap?
Old Mar 11th 2016, 6:28 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

He just been on the radio and told his side

The religious angle is blown out of proportion it's more about his right to wear what he wants. He feels that he is being discriminated against where as a hijab or turban would be OK.

Sounds like he hates the fact that it's one rule for some and another rule for others. His face was fully visible by the way.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

He's right that he should be able to wear whatever he likes as long as the picture can be properly used to id him, but it doesn't sit well with me to agree with him even that much. Why is it always the religion/turban/burqa argument that spurs people into this sort of protest. Hairdo's, beards etc are valid arguments, but that is never what seems to have got it going.

A bit like people who think refugees should only be helped when we have helped 'our own' homeless/veterans/whatever despite never having given two figs for them before the refugees needed help.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 9:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
A bit like people who think refugees should only be helped when we have helped 'our own' homeless/veterans/whatever despite never having given two figs for them before the refugees needed help.

Old Mar 11th 2016, 9:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The first sentence made me think it was a frivolous thing, then I saw it was from Red Deer....... well maybe...
I used to have a hat that said Red Deer Arm Wrestling Club, I could wear it anywhere but Red Deer.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
He's right that he should be able to wear whatever he likes as long as the picture can be properly used to id him, but it doesn't sit well with me to agree with him even that much. Why is it always the religion/turban/burqa argument that spurs people into this sort of protest. Hairdo's, beards etc are valid arguments, but that is never what seems to have got it going.

He did start off saying beards could be shaven off and females could change hair colour and style days after their pics taken, then he mentioned religious head wear. He won't be fighting this on religious grounds tho, just on discrimination
Old Mar 11th 2016, 10:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Next time I got to the barbers I’m going to refuse to take off my hat in support of my religion of hating of fat, redneck, reactionary racists. Lets see if that gets on CBC.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
Next time I got to the barbers I’m going to refuse to take off my hat in support of my religion of hating of fat, redneck, reactionary racists. Lets see if that gets on CBC.
It might if you are in your boat in the barbers shop
Old Mar 12th 2016, 1:13 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
He did start off saying beards could be shaven off and females could change hair colour and style days after their pics taken, then he mentioned religious head wear. He won't be fighting this on religious grounds tho, just on discrimination
FFS anyone can change their hair colour or style regardless of gender.

He sounds an ignorant twat.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by bats
FFS anyone can change their hair colour or style regardless of gender.

You are right, and that was exactly his point.

Eventually I guess he will wish he just took off his hat for a few seconds. Maybe after he gets the final lawyers bill ?
Old Mar 12th 2016, 9:50 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I think that sums him up to a 'T'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.