Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's that (income tax) time of year again

It's that (income tax) time of year again

Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's that (income tax) time of year again

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My stepdaughter hasn't received her T5 yet, although interest on a TFSA is supposed to be tax free.

Using turbotax which shows the tax refund due "so far" if she enters last year's T5 as if this year's T5, the refund figure falls.

Which kind of looks like the interest is being taxed.

I know there are situations where tax may be due on TFS and perhaps the bank issues a T5 because they may not know if those situations apply, perhaps because of paying in too much using accounts with other banks for example. But if there's only one account reported, why would the refund figure be reduced?

Perhaps if you have one TFSA and you know there are no tax issues on the interest, is it the case that you don't report it?

There is one other possibility - she qualifies for the working income tax credit and the running refund total includes this.

Might it be that the interest incurs no additional tax but as income it reduces the WITC slightly?
I've never put down anything regarding my TFSA????

One year they sent me a note claiming I owed them money as I had overpaid into it.

They then backed away when they realised I had landed here in 2010 and not 2011.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My stepdaughter hasn't received her T5 yet, although interest on a TFSA is supposed to be tax free.

Using turbotax which shows the tax refund due "so far" if she enters last year's T5 as if this year's T5, the refund figure falls.

Which kind of looks like the interest is being taxed....
Income earned in a TFSA is not taxable. The TFSA provider will not issue a T5.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Income earned in a TFSA is not taxable. The TFSA provider will not issue a T5.
Thanks...the fly in the ointment was her getting a T5 last year for 2015.

I got her to double check and it was promotional interest in a different account before moving it to a TFSA after the promotion ended.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:42 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

for those of you that are able to use the following service

Community Volunteer Income Tax Program

Need a hand to complete your tax return?

Tax Preparation Clinics