Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

It's that (income tax) time of year again

It's that (income tax) time of year again

Old Feb 14th 2017, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's that (income tax) time of year again

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
So question for anybody:

My bank printed out my RRSP contribution receipts:

1. one for the first 60 days of 2017 - I put a lump sum in last week
2. one for the remainder of 2016 (after March 1 2016) - had a regular $50 deduction per pay period (bi weekly) up until Oct 2016
3. one for the first 60 days of 2016. - When I first opened an RRSP

The last one (number 3) I have already claimed that amount on my 2015 return so this means I cannot claim this one on my 2016 return?

Ive just gone from a refund of $450 to owing them $8 after taking this out
You can't claim it twice.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:10 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You can't claim it twice.
Yeah that was what I was asking but I can still claim the other two?

I've changed it for my RRSP and used my last payslip from my other job (because they havnt sent my T4 yet) and based on my estimations I get an ok refund
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that was what I was asking but I can still claim the other two?
Yes
Old Feb 16th 2017, 12:30 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
This will be my first T4/tax filing experience. I don't know if I owe anything or will get anything back as I was a minor the whole time. Do I even need to file anything? To be honest I don't know how any of this works so if anyone can shed light that would be great.

I gather turbotax is the recommendation for simple, straight bi-weekly paycheques?
If all you've got is a T4 and a T5, it's super easy to do it using the fillable PDFs off the CRA website. All you do is copy from one box to the other basically and you have to do some very simple math.

Never understand this fascination with TurboTax etc., it was originally invented for the US market where State returns are separate from Federal returns, that's not the case in Canada (except Québec) and there are far less tax credits and so forth you can claim in Canada.

I've never to date used software to do an individual return, although I've looked at a few of them and you still have to work out the numbers to put on the forms (e.g. the ACB for a mutual fund, medical expenses, etc.) so why bother?

If you're self-employed and you feed the numbers in from an accounting program to your T2125 then there might be a point, but that's about the only exception I can think of.

Also, this myth about getting your refund faster - I always get mine pretty quickly.
Old Feb 20th 2017, 2:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
If all you've got is a T4 and a T5, it's super easy to do it using the fillable PDFs off the CRA website. All you do is copy from one box to the other basically and you have to do some very simple math.

Never understand this fascination with TurboTax etc.
Do the PDFs enable Netfiling?
Just Netfiled on SimpleTax for my stepson. Less than five minutes, all done. PDF saved. Free.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 10:45 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I netfiled my tax return with Simple Tax yesterday. So quick and easy.

I checked my CRA account, which said they had received it and I'm due the refund on March 13th (I think)

How long does it take to do the NOA then?

What surprised me was I didn't have to upload any RRSP receipts or T4s. How do they know I'm telling the truth lol?

Hopefully if everything goes smoothly and I get my refund then I will use the software again next year - beats paying someone to do it!
Old Mar 4th 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

I checked my CRA account, which said they had received it and I'm due the refund on March 13th (I think)

What surprised me was I didn't have to upload any RRSP receipts or T4s. How do they know I'm telling the truth lol?

Hopefully if everything goes smoothly and I get my refund then I will use the software again next year - beats paying someone to do it!
We've had an audit (once in five years) where we had to send receipts for deductions we'd claimed, so maybe they check a selection?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

T4s are reported to CRA by your employer. I would think banks do the same with certain accounts.

For things not reported they could audit you and if they do you best have everything.

Old Mar 4th 2017, 2:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If what you report does not match what CRA have received from Canadian employers, investments, EI, or other sources of income that report, there are significant penalties, plus interest and the tax due.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:13 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Aviator
If what you report does not match what CRA have received from Canadian employers, investments, EI, or other sources of income that report, there are significant penalties, plus interest and the tax due.
Well its a good job I don't lie bout these things then isnt it!
Old Mar 4th 2017, 7:15 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
T4s are reported to CRA by your employer. I would think banks do the same with certain accounts.

For things not reported they could audit you and if they do you best have everything.

The only thing I can think of is my monthly transit passes but I have the receipts anyway just in case. Otherwise its T4s and RRSPs, which you said CRA already have copies of.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Thanks JS.
I'm not sure they allow you to file the first one electronically as I think to do that it requires historic data from previous returns. Double check that as you don't want to get caught out late in the day.

Originally Posted by haggis88
Waiting on my T4...i assume it'll go directly to my CRA Online mailbox since I don't have a residence in Canada any longer and left my old employer in June?
It'll go to the last address your old employer has or if you have an epost account with Canada Post it will go there electronically if that was the method your old employer used to send your pay stubs.

I suppose the time I got it by email they made an error then.
ePost?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Can i still claim for tax year 2014..i still have my T4 & T220..I only worked up to May 2014 before returning to the UK. Now i am back do i wait for the mad rush in April or can i put in my claim now..i assume the govt would owe me some wedge for that year?
I'd approach this one carefully and get professional advice. You are effectively two years passed the submission date.

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
We've had an audit (once in five years) where we had to send receipts for deductions we'd claimed, so maybe they check a selection?
Yes they do.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

No regular email as a pdf. I cant recall the last time one was sent regular mail.

Not sure what e post is.

Originally Posted by JamesM
I'm not sure they allow you to file the first one electronically as I think to do that it requires historic data from previous returns. Double check that as you don't want to get caught out late in the day.

It'll go to the last address your old employer has or if you have an epost account with Canada Post it will go there electronically if that was the method your old employer used to send your pay stubs.

ePost?

I'd approach this one carefully and get professional advice. You are effectively two years passed the submission date.

Yes they do.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My stepdaughter hasn't received her T5 yet, although interest on a TFSA is supposed to be tax free.

Using turbotax which shows the tax refund due "so far" if she enters last year's T5 as if this year's T5, the refund figure falls.

Which kind of looks like the interest is being taxed.

I know there are situations where tax may be due on TFS and perhaps the bank issues a T5 because they may not know if those situations apply, perhaps because of paying in too much using accounts with other banks for example. But if there's only one account reported, why would the refund figure be reduced?

Perhaps if you have one TFSA and you know there are no tax issues on the interest, is it the case that you don't report it?

There is one other possibility - she qualifies for the working income tax credit and the running refund total includes this.

Might it be that the interest incurs no additional tax but as income it reduces the WITC slightly?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

No regular email as a pdf. I cant recall the last time one was sent regular mail.

Not sure what e post is.
No problem then.

It makes much more sense in this day and age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.