Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Its funny what you miss from England!!!

Its funny what you miss from England!!!

Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:50 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice
Default Its funny what you miss from England!!!

Well of all the things I miss its sheep, yes sheep the fluffy white things that jump over fences and help you fall asleep!
I lived in Chester in the UK and there were plenty of sheep around in the fields but struggle to find any here, although there was some in a field near Priddis!
I also miss:
  • Colemans prawn cocktail sauce (but now make my own)
  • Proper Heinz baked beans
  • and real fresh cream cakes
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:51 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its funny what you miss from England!!!

Yes they dont get the whole cream thing.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:56 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I miss the cream off the top of the milk in the bottle.

Because in Canada, milk is served in plastic bags and cream permeates through plastic. Or something.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:01 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

I went to the British Chippy near Bridlewood in Calgary and had fish, chip and mushy peas yesterday, it was so good I could of eaten it twice
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You can get the baked beans from The British Pantry which isn't far from Cochrane. It's near the U of C.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

You can't get baked beans in Calgary/Cochrane...? I ate them all the time when I was there...
If your in Calgary and near the NE. There are some east Indian stores there. One of them stocks some UK items (i.e baked beans, UK Cadbury chocolate and Lucozade) and they were cheaper than the British Pantry..

The British Chippy in Bridlewood is bliss..

Last edited by Tony_Tiger; Jun 11th 2012 at 9:07 pm. Reason: East Indian stores add
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, you've got me thinking about cream cakes now.

This place is run by someone French apparently: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/14127...e-Lune-Calgary

Haven't been there but I'm going to...
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Speaking of missing things. I missed cherry coke, cheese and onion crisps so much that I ordered a whole case and box of crisps from the British Pantry..
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

You can get Cherry Coke in the US. I never really understand why they don't make it in Canada, every time I mention to someone I've been to Great Falls to get some they always say they've done it too at some point, or know someone who has. I actually met someone who goes to the US to get it on a professional basis to supply bars because there are some cocktails it is used in apparently.

Miss Vickies do something cheese and onion like that comes in a yellow packet but I don't see them very often.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:54 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You can get Cherry Coke in the US. I never really understand why they don't make it in Canada, every time I mention to someone I've been to Great Falls to get some they always say they've done it too at some point, or know someone who has. I actually met someone who goes to the US to get it on a professional basis to supply bars because there are some cocktails it is used in apparently.

Miss Vickies do something cheese and onion like that comes in a yellow packet but I don't see them very often.
We had it in Canada years ago. It didn't go over here because it was too sweet for Canadian palates.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

I actually spoke to a cocacola rep (I used to run a liqour store and bar). They said they did have cherry coke at one point but it did not take off.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Bacon..... proper bacon for a bacon sandwich...
Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Safeways own brand for baked beans - we tried lots and this is what we've ended up with.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
Bacon..... proper bacon for a bacon sandwich...
You can get proper bacon in Canadian Superstore.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:29 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
You can get proper bacon in Canadian Superstore.
They label it up as Wiltshire Bacon.....although I think its from somewhere in Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.