Iron Lady

Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iron Lady

Originally Posted by iaink
Oh please God, preserve us from yet another emotive debate about Canadas place in Afghanistan and the difference between supporting the troops and supporting the policy... its not even remembrance day season
Not at all
Just pointing out that people who voluntarily join Armies might have to fight and if it is against their beliefs then dont ****ing join one, and then complain but I dont want to fight or go there.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Will you do the same if Harper wins next time?
I can't speak for dbd33, but my answer is yes. In fact I won't even be here for the next election but I'm thinking of casting a postal ballot just to piss off the frothier members of this forum.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I can't speak for dbd33, but my answer is yes. In fact I won't even be here for the next election but I'm thinking of casting a postal ballot just to piss off the frothier members of this forum.
Ah but the Westerners wont care as the elections are usually decided before their votes even count
Enjoy the Sarkozy politics in your new abode
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about the Falklands war was it could have been completely avoided had the government not decided to withdraw the last South Atlantic survey/ supply ship. That decision was against the better judgment of the foreign office, military advisors, The US government and the people at the embassy in Buenos Aires. There are diplomatic cables in the public domain that spell this out very clearly.

Once that happened it was virtually inevitable that the Argentinians would take steps to reclaim the Malvinas, so in that respect I am a firm believer that the war was indeed "manufactured" in order to boost Thatchers prestige at home and to divert attention from the state of the economy and labour unrest.

Ive mixed feelings about her. She did what was necessary to reset the balance between labour and business, and she modernised the way britain worked, but after a while she seemed to stop listening to others and started to do things purely for idealogical reasons it appeared, regardless of the consequences on the most vulnerable in society. I wasnt sad to see her go.
Politicians make decisions against the judgement of advisers all the time - it doesn't necessarily make the case there was some sort of conspiracy to engineer a war. I think it was just a case of giving little thought to somewhere put of the way that didn't seem very important giving Argentina the opportunity to invade.

All the stuff about the Belgrano is a load of nonsense. It was a legitimate target - the direction it was travelling and position wrt the exclusion zone are irrelevant. Argentina doesn't dispute that the sinking was entirely "legal" but the Thatcher haters will always hold it against her - it seems sometimes that they would rather that the Belgrano had sucessfully intercepted the task force and sunk the troop ship.

I agree with your last paragraph.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Le Pens daughter is doing rather well in the polls.........
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:55 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
Politicians make decisions against the judgement of advisers all the time - it doesn't necessarily make the case there was some sort of conspiracy to engineer a war. I think it was just a case of giving little thought to somewhere put of the way that didn't seem very important giving Argentina the opportunity to invade.
Thats not what the cables in the documentary I watched said, it was pretty clear that they knew exactly what they were instigating with their actions.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats not what the cables in the documentary I watched said, it was pretty clear that they knew exactly what they were instigating with their actions.
So the cables explicitly state the goal of prompting a Argentine invasion? I'd be interested to read up if you have the links?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:06 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
So the cables explicitly state the goal of prompting a Argentine invasion? I'd be interested to read up if you have the links?
Cant help, sorry. Its some half remembered "Everyman" doc or something that laid out the case for the prosecution.

Its not an entirely new idea. A similar thing happening regarding Pearl Harbour, the US had decoded the Japanese naval codes, and chose to let the attack happen for political reasons. Surely more than coincidence that the US pacific carrier fleet were away at the time? Anyway I digress, and its certainly arguable that at that time, the battleship was seen as King.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 16th 2012 at 4:09 am.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:06 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ive mixed feelings about her. She did what was necessary to reset the balance between labour and business, and she modernised the way britain worked, but after a while she seemed to stop listening to others and started to do things purely for idealogical reasons it appeared, regardless of the consequences on the most vulnerable in society. I wasnt sad to see her go.
I think I agree in part, the unions had become bullies and needed to be brought into a better place, that didn’t mean wrecking the industries to do it, the union were the problem not the industries, we lost a coal mining industry and a car industry to misplaced ideals..

I’d also suggest that not only were the targets too broad, but the wrong methods used too, all too frequently the news was showing our police in full riot gear facing the public, only during the Thatcher years did green ambulances or fire engines seem normal.
Add into this I believe it was the Thatcher, and Regan administrations that relaxed the banking rules that allowed the Toxic mortgage fiasco to come into being..

I believe she will go down in history as the Iron lady that had a Job to do, one that went ahead and did it as the lady wasn’t for turning, and as a result will be remembered for doing it and doing it the wrong way..
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:11 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Cant help, sorry. Its some half remembered "Everyman" doc or something that laid out the case for the prosecution.

Its not an entirely new idea. A similar thing happening regarding Pearl Harbour, the US had decoded the Japanese naval codes, and chose to let the attack happen for political reasons. Surely more than coincidence that the US pacific carrier fleet were away at the time? Anyway I digress, and its certainly arguable that at that time, the battleship was seen as King.
Do you also believe that the black helicopters are watching you and that 9/11 was instigated by George W?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you drawing a parallel between Thatcher's invasion of the Falklands and Harper's dabbling in the Middle East? I think that's a bit strong. Were it not for his religiosity and his BMI, I'd think Harper clearly less loathsome than Thatcher. He's a nasty piece of work but, AFAIK, he hasn't killed anyone he knew to be running away.
With regards to you last sentence as above, making reference to the sinking of the ;Blegrano' I assume?. If so, may I respectfully (or not) draw your attention to the following link?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rs-reveal.html

Most revealing as to the Junta's actual intentions.....and gives credence to the decision to treat the Belgrano as a legitimate target. Seems the Iron Lady' got it right yet again....

Doubt Tam Dalyell and Co will be putting their hands up and admitting they got it wrong....again!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Do you also believe that the black helicopters are watching you and that 9/11 was instigated by George W?
No, Im not stupid, just cynical.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
With regards to you last sentence as above, making reference to the sinking of the ;Blegrano' I assume?. If so, may I respectfully (or not) draw your attention to the following link?

Most revealing as to the Junta's actual intentions.....and gives credence to the decision to treat the Belgrano as a legitimate target. Seems the Iron Lady' got it right yet again....

Doubt Tam Dalyell and Co will be putting their hands up and admitting they got it wrong....again!
See above. It a piece about a report written after the war, it says nothing about the the state of knowledge at the time of the decision.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:17 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by macadian

I think if you read the whole thread you would see thats been covered
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

How will you casting a vote in such a way will piss off the frothier members of this forum; on the assumption, of course, that the "frothier" members are those that get upset by such things. It would appear that members outside of Ontario care not a whit what Harper does on a daily basis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.