Iron Lady

Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iron Lady

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Have you asked the residents of the Falklands how they felt about being invaded.
I don't see the need, I don't suppose they cared for it but my point is that they didn't, and don't, matter to the UK government. They just got lucky.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt it nice to be able to sit back and armchair quarterback after the fact or events have taken place.
What was she supposed to do put it to a general vote? let Parliament decide?
do nothing?

What would you have done or is that not a fair question to ask of you?
If you can ask these questions of the leaders then why should the question not be asked of you?
I mean we are all questioning Harper here and the opposition is quite happy to sit back and be critical and suggest that they might do this or that but if it came down to the crunch would they?
As Canada doesnt have claims to any other countries I guess its a scenario we will never see Canadian politicians faced with.

So how is your campaign to be the next Canadian leader going?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Isnt it nice to be able to sit back and armchair quarterback after the fact or events have taken place.
What was she supposed to do put it to a general vote? let Parliament decide?
do nothing?

What would you have done or is that not a fair question to ask of you?
If you can ask these questions of the leaders then why should the question not be asked of you?
I mean we are all questioning Harper here and the opposition is quite happy to sit back and be critical and suggest that they might do this or that but if it came down to the crunch would they?
As Canada doesnt have claims to any other countries I guess its a scenario we will never see Canadian politicians faced with.

So how is your campaign to be the next Canadian leader going?
Are you drawing a parallel between Thatcher's invasion of the Falklands and Harper's dabbling in the Middle East? I think that's a bit strong. Were it not for his religiosity and his BMI, I'd think Harper clearly less loathsome than Thatcher. He's a nasty piece of work but, AFAIK, he hasn't killed anyone he knew to be running away.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Are you drawing a parallel between Thatcher's invasion of the Falklands and Harper's dabbling in the Middle East? I think that's a bit strong. Were it not for his religiosity and his BMI, I'd think Harper clearly less loathsome than Thatcher. He's a nasty piece of work but, AFAIK, he hasn't killed anyone he knew to be running away.
Drawing a parallel no not at all 2 completely different scenarios.
I was asking if you were in Maggies shoes what would you have done?
Who was running away and what are you referring to?
Did Canada go to the Middle East as part of their NATO responsibilities or are you suggesting Harper was dabbling in his own bit of war mongering.
And Im no great fan of Harper either.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Rhodesia, for example. Britain's policies in respect of Rhodesia have not been influenced by the likely outcome for the people of that country. If we believe that the defence of the Falklands was motivated by an altruistic interest in the well being of the people, or indeed, sheep, resident there then it's unique in colonial history (perhaps all colonial history, not just ours).
Yes, I can see how the two situations were very similar.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

Yes, I can see how the two situations were very similar.
Gurkhas then, the British government is, properly, unconcerned with their fate. Non-Muslim Pakistanis. Palestinians, we don't send an army to beat back those awful Israelis because they oppress our former subjects. We, as a nation, create havoc and walk away. The Falklands is exceptional and I don't believe it's because the inhabitants are particularly lovable. White, but not lovable.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

Drawing a parallel no not at all 2 completely different scenarios.
Negotiated a settlement, looking to Hong Kong as an example.

Who was running away and what are you referring to?
Magaret Thatcher and the Belgrano. Literally, "sailing" rather than "running".

Did Canada go to the Middle East as part of their NATO responsibilities or are you suggesting Harper was dabbling in his own bit of war mongering.
And Im no great fan of Harper either.
I wasn't suggesting anything about Harper, except that I think him a fat bigot, I was struggling to grasp why you brought him up. As always, the relevance of Canada is lost on me.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:53 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

She should have resigned. If she had listened to the advice from the FO that withdrawing the only naval vessel showing the flag in the Falklands would be seen as sign of disinterest by the Argentinian government and as an invitation to Galtieri to invade.

When that is exactly what happened she should have followed Carrington's example and left.

On another topic: Cabinet papers from 1981 have been released under the 30 year rule, you might be interested in this article...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/de...ool-riots-1981
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:56 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Magaret Thatcher and the Belgrano. Literally, "sailing" rather than "running".
In a war zone, (Irrrespective of whether the war was just) a significant enemy naval asset was in a position to be a threat to the UK task force. Which direction it was heading when sunk is largely irrelevent.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Gurkhas then, the British government is, properly, unconcerned with their fate.
When was Nepal invaded in the last 100 years?

Non-Muslim Pakistanis.
When was Pakistan invaded in the last 100 years?

Palestinians, we don't send an army to beat back those awful Israelis because they oppress our former subjects. We, as a nation, create havoc and walk away. The Falklands is exceptional and I don't believe it's because the inhabitants are particularly lovable. White, but not lovable.
I am sure that you will accept that the issues in that part of the Middle East predate Thatcher, in fact, they likely pre date civilization in the UK.

Tell me, what land in that region belongs to whom and on what authority? If you have an answer to that one, you are wasted being a part owner of a computer service corporation
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
She should have resigned. If she had listened to the advice from the FO that withdrawing the only naval vessel showing the flag in the Falklands would be seen as sign of disinterest by the Argentinian government and as an invitation to Galtieri to invade.

When that is exactly what happened she should have followed Carrington's example and left.

On another topic: Cabinet papers from 1981 have been released under the 30 year rule, you might be interested in this article...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/de...ool-riots-1981
Yes I saw that and personaly was put on standby again for those riots.
Maybe you read over this as well regarding the Belgrano though I accept it is
dbd33 making those claims about it running away.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rs-reveal.html
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

Tell me, what land in that region belongs to whom and on what authority?
I'm not about to declare true ownership of land anywhere. However, were I to presume a divine right to decide, I can't imagine starting with a speck in the South Atlantic.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not about to declare true ownership of land anywhere. However, were I to presume a divine right to decide, I can't imagine starting with a speck in the South Atlantic.
Maybe you wouldn't want to live there, but the residents there, evidently, do. I am sure that I do not need to point out to you that, at the time of the Falklands War, the UK was responsible for its defence and foreign affairs.

I believe it is accepted on this forum that you don't care much for military intervention but, let's say, if London was invaded by a foreign force, do you believe that the UK government should do anything, or just leave Londoners to sort it out themselves?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:12 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I saw that and personaly was put on standby again for those riots.
Maybe you read over this as well regarding the Belgrano though I accept it is
dbd33 making those claims about it running away.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...rs-reveal.html
You're right that it wasn't me. I have no personal knowledge of which way the Belgrano was pointing. On the day in question I was driving through Yellowstone National Park. The snow banks prevented a clear view of the Falklands from there.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You're right that it wasn't me. I have no personal knowledge of which way the Belgrano was pointing. On the day in question I was driving through Yellowstone National Park. The snow banks prevented a clear view of the Falklands from there.
The Berlin wall was blocking my view

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.