British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Ireland votes Yes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/ireland-votes-yes-858788/)

Shard May 25th 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Ireland votes Yes

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11656059)
I meant have you asked your gay friends what they think about marriage?

How very dare you! :lol:

Sally Redux May 25th 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11656063)
How very dare you! :lol:

:lol:

Shard May 25th 2015 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11656066)
:lol:

Lurve Derek (and Leonard) :thumbup:

Sally Redux May 25th 2015 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11656067)
Lurve Derek (and Leonard) :thumbup:

Lurve the whole show :D

Shard May 25th 2015 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11656074)
Lurve the whole show :D

Don't like the mad nan, but the rest of it's very funny. I wonder if the Belfast gay man's mum had any impact on the Irish vote (somehow, popular culture etc)? :)

Sally Redux May 25th 2015 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11656078)
Don't like the mad nan, but the rest of it's very funny. I wonder if the Belfast gay man's mum had any impact on the Irish vote (somehow, popular culture etc)? :)

OMG Nan is spot-on for my family :lol:

Shard May 25th 2015 4:20 pm

Getting back on topic. Should we respect the consciences of clergy and bakers and other No voters? Triumphalism is somewhat vulgar, but surely it's disingenuous to accept these views, unless, possibly if the person is very old. Thoughts?

From the DT:

We must hope that the generous spirit that infused so many of the Yes voters will extend to taking seriously the concerns of the 38 per cent who voted No and that they will eschew triumphalism and respect the consciences of clergy and bakers.

Spare a thought for those who voted No in Ireland - Telegraph

Tirytory May 25th 2015 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11655989)
Do you not think we should give the gay community a bit of a break on their celebrations and group promotion? Even if you find it all a bit much, it pales into insignificance with the real persecution that gay received in Britain until recently, and the real prejudice that many continue to endure. I suppose your comments are made sardonically, but while there are real bigots out there, it's probably better to say nothing at all rather than give out mixed signals.

I watched The Imitation Game last night. So sad that not that long ago a war hero could be treated that way because of his sexuality.

Sally Redux May 25th 2015 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11656096)
Getting back on topic. Should we respect the consciences of clergy and bakers and other No voters? Triumphalism is somewhat vulgar, but surely it's disingenuous to accept these views, unless, possibly if the person is very old. Thoughts?

From the DT:

We must hope that the generous spirit that infused so many of the Yes voters will extend to taking seriously the concerns of the 38 per cent who voted No and that they will eschew triumphalism and respect the consciences of clergy and bakers.

Forcing people to live a lie is cruel and utterly pointless(which is what this is really about).

bc2015 May 25th 2015 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11656096)

From the DT:

I would say that if you don't want to run the risk of having your beliefs offended, then you shouldn't be offering services to the public.

magnumpi May 25th 2015 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11656186)
I watched The Imitation Game last night. So sad that not that long ago a war hero could be treated that way because of his sexuality.

Film of the year IMO

Pride is a good film too.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3169706/

ExKiwilass May 25th 2015 7:01 pm

Liked "The Imitation Game" but found myself wondering if he was on the spectrum - either Aspergers or Autism

Tirytory May 25th 2015 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11656234)
Liked "The Imitation Game" but found myself wondering if he was on the spectrum - either Aspergers or Autism

Almost certainly if Benedict C portrayal of Turing was correct!

Shard May 25th 2015 9:24 pm

Haven't seen Imitation Game yet, but have always thought this country's treatment of Turing was despicable. And it really wasn't that long ago. :(

jimf May 26th 2015 1:52 am

So what should the birth certificate say?

Germaine Greer criticises Elton John for naming husband David Furnish as son's 'mother' on birth certificate - People - News - The Independent