British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Ireland votes Yes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/ireland-votes-yes-858788/)

geedee May 24th 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Ireland votes Yes

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11655014)
well, at least that outs one homophobe. Do you realise that if uyou have a circle of more than 10 friends, there is a strong likelihood that at least one is homosexual. so just suck it up... possibly not the best phrase there..:rofl::rofl:

What utter nonsense. Try 0.15, i.e if you have a hundred friends, 1.5 may be homo.

UK gay, lesbian and bisexual population revealed - BBC News

Shard May 24th 2015 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 11655151)
What utter nonsense. Try 0.15, i.e if you have a hundred friends, 1.5 may be homo.

UK gay, lesbian and bisexual population revealed - BBC News

I'm pretty sure I've heard about 1:20 (5%) being the ratio. That link you posted is from 2010, but I don't have anything more current. 2% or below seems awfully low.

geedee May 24th 2015 3:00 pm

Not really. I'd say it's about right. I don't think things have changed much since 2010, really.
I can only base things on my own experience... I'm knocking on in years and have met very few "gays". And in the profession I'm in, I'm more likely to meet them than most!
I'm pretty sure the LGBT community ramp up the figures for their own purposes.

ExKiwilass May 24th 2015 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by themajor (Post 11654945)
It made me want to PUKE.

awwww, a good fisting will sort you out :cool:

macadian May 24th 2015 3:04 pm

It could be worse I guess. Next step may be making it compulsory. :sarcasm:

Tirytory May 24th 2015 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 11655165)
Not really. I'd say it's about right. I don't think things have changed much since 2010, really.
I can only base things on my own experience... I'm knocking on in years and have met very few "gays". And in the profession I'm in, I'm more likely to meet them than most!

I would at a guess from your terminology say you would 't encourage anyone to out themselves to you...

As an aside, I was talking to a friend about my son's swim team chief coach who is amazing, and I hadn't realised that she and the other coach were an item and neither do I care, but the friend was stating they were desperate to foster but were being discriminated quite badly against by the local foster agency. Pretty sad.

Shard May 24th 2015 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 11655165)

Opposite from my experience. Look at the size of Pride marches or gay villages in big cities. I don't think figures are exaggerated.

geedee May 24th 2015 3:08 pm

I would at a guess from your terminology say you would 't encourage anyone to out themselves to you...

I was talking to a friend about my son's swim team chief coach who is amazing, and I hadn't realised that she and the other coach were an item and neither do I care, but the friend was stating they were desperate to foster but were being discriminated quite badly against by the local foster agency. Pretty sad.

Er... what's that got to do with my post?

geedee May 24th 2015 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11655176)
Opposite from my experience. Look at the size of Pride marches or gay villages in big cities. I don't think figures are exaggerated.

Well, you can trust the BBC... they say 1.5%. So it must be true.;)

Shard May 24th 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11655174)
I would at a guess from your terminology you would 't encourage anyone to out themselves to you...

I was talking to a friend about my son's swim team chief coach who is amazing, and I hadn't realised that she and the other coach were an item and neither do I care, but the friend was stating they were desperate to foster but were being discriminated quite badly against by the local foster agency. Pretty sad.

Exactly right. Many straight acting gays will not reveal their sexuality if they sense the slightest chance of judgement. That's why the Ireland public vote is so good for genuine equality. Closeted gays will feel freer to express themselves.

Tirytory May 24th 2015 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 11655180)

Er... what's that got to do with my post?

I've edited it...it was just a chain of thought since I was talking about discrimination of gay couples on Friday night. The first comment of course was aimed at you with your "gays" and "homos"...

geedee May 24th 2015 3:21 pm

Eh... you called them "gays" yourself.... have you been at the whisky??

mikelincs May 24th 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11655176)

We actually live in a retirement apartment block in the gay area of Bournemouth, and just walking around you wouldn't think that a lot of the people you see on the street are gay, we do get the 'Pride' march in this area, but the majority of those taking part are not the flamboyant demonstrative type.

I was, a few years ago, the PRO of British Naturism, and we had to tell the clubs in our organisation that they could not discriminate against single males and also gay coples. This did propmt a lot of discussion in the clubs who had to change the wording of their rules so as not to be discriminatory, and I know of one club where some of the committee members siad, well we are OK, and we don't have any of that sort of people here, and were totally flabbergasted to be told there were at least 3 gay couples as members, these were female couples, and the committee members just though they were two females sharing a caravan, females couyld get away with that, two males would not.

caretaker May 24th 2015 3:36 pm

Wikipedia shows the percentage of people identifying as gay in the general population varies widely between nations and between survey years. Including the other categories in the lbgt community and allowing a couple of points for those respondents staying in the closet 1 in 10 who aren't straight by definition seems possible. Besides recognition (a big deal for some but not desired by all) and the issue of adoption by same sex couples I could see as a major benefit the legality of marriage for survivor's pensions and family insurance, tax allowances, etc.

Pica May 24th 2015 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11655148)
hey conniewalker, if you're so bored by this topic why are you posting on this thread?

@ slanderer of the innocents......Because I can