iPhone

Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:59 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default iPhone

In case anyone is on the lookout for a phone to take to Canada with them - the 8GB iphone is on offer at £169 until June 1st. You don't have to sign up for a contract and you can unlock it easily (they obviously expect you to though, but there's no enforcement).

It's quad band, so should work fine in Canada too....

Also, don't think it's even out in Canada yet and when it is, it's likely to cost an arm and a leg!

The daft part is, it's £20 cheaper than the 8GB ipod touch with more functionality!

Last edited by G77; Apr 20th 2008 at 5:13 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPhone

Now that is worth considering.

I do need a new phone - you wouldn't believe how old mine is! - but had planned on waiting until we get to Canada (end June) - I wil definitley look into that.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:32 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't hang around too long as they may cotton onto the fact that people aren't activating them and are just unlocking them instead (or maybe they don't care?).

The unlock process was relatively straightforward....
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I gave up waiting over here and got an iPod Touch instead. I swithered about going with AT&T but I don't always get a good signal over here, and wasn't sure if they'd think I was roaming abroad
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:37 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDV
Now that is worth considering.

I do need a new phone - you wouldn't believe how old mine is! - but had planned on waiting until we get to Canada (end June) - I wil definitley look into that.
oh god no - upgrade before you go - the canadian ones are sooooooooooo behind ours!!

when we visitied To in Sept last yr my mate was really excited that his new moby coud take photos - he nearly wet himself at my bog standard sony errisoon with video calling, mp3 etc... tv . . .
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:39 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I gave up waiting over here and got an iPod Touch instead. I swithered about going with AT&T but I don't always get a good signal over here, and wasn't sure if they'd think I was roaming abroad
I was going to get a touch when I got over there at some point - but £169 AND having the phone features swung it for me.... has bluetooth, camera and obviously the phone which the touch doesn't...
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I was going to get a touch when I got over there at some point - but £169 AND having the phone features swung it for me.... has bluetooth, camera and obviously the phone which the touch doesn't...
If I was in the UK I'd have it in an instant - how I miss O2 and their ten quid payg bundles But I rarely use the phone here, far too expensive, so I'm fine with the Touch. I got the 16Gb one right before Apple brought out the 32, always the way, isn't it?!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:59 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

OMG - BBC iPlayer is awesome via the ipod...... best not get too used to it cos I'll be losing that when I'm over there!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by G77
OMG - BBC iPlayer is awesome via the ipod...... best not get too used to it cos I'll be losing that when I'm over there!
I think it worked on all iPhones/Touches for a while, but not anymore - they fixed that
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:15 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I think it worked on all iPhones/Touches for a while, but not anymore - they fixed that

I think we should all club together and rent a server with a big fat pipe in the docklands to act as a proxy server

No doubt they'd soon realise and block it's IP address though :curse:
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:33 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the offer with? Mind you I don't consider the 8gb iPhone to be worth bothering with if you want to use it for everything due to the lack of space, the 16gb is the first really practical one.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:34 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Where is the offer with? Mind you I don't consider the 8gb iPhone to be worth bothering with if you want to use it for everything due to the lack of space, the 16gb is the first really practical one.
O2 Store or Carephone Warehouse. You just pay for it in store (or online) and then take it home to "activate"..... which they obviously can't make you do once you're in the comfort of your own home....
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I just offer this as a word of caution. My son bought a phone on eBay from California I think. He chose the particular phone because he has Bluetooth in his car. I have never seen it work, but apparently when the phone rings the radio cuts out and you just talk on the handsfree phone. He also had trouble getting someone to activate on the Sasktel network. The first company would not do it. Now the phone works fine but the Bluetooth doesn't for some reason so he has to answer the phone and its not a handsfree any more.

He was talking about searching on the Net to try to figure out how to get it working, but the last I heard he was going to give that phone to his wife and get a new phone from here - one that would work with his car.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:22 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
O2 Store or Carephone Warehouse. You just pay for it in store (or online) and then take it home to "activate"..... which they obviously can't make you do once you're in the comfort of your own home....
Yep, just tried CPW and it took me straight through to purchase without signing up for a contract. I stopped at that point.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:42 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I just offer this as a word of caution. My son bought a phone on eBay from California I think. He chose the particular phone because he has Bluetooth in his car. I have never seen it work, but apparently when the phone rings the radio cuts out and you just talk on the handsfree phone. He also had trouble getting someone to activate on the Sasktel network. The first company would not do it. Now the phone works fine but the Bluetooth doesn't for some reason so he has to answer the phone and its not a handsfree any more.

He was talking about searching on the Net to try to figure out how to get it working, but the last I heard he was going to give that phone to his wife and get a new phone from here - one that would work with his car.
Not really an issue with the iPhone as it is a GSM phone and it sounds like the one you're talking about was a CDMA phone. For a GSM phone as long as it's unlocked (easy enough to do) you just slip a SIM card in for the operator you use and off you go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.