Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Import duty on car parts

Import duty on car parts

Old Sep 16th 2020, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

sidjoloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Import duty on car parts

My friend has a 2009 Land Rover Freelander which was imported from the UK, duty free, as it is over 15 years old.
She is a Canadian letter carrier, and prefers the left hand drive to make it easier to deliver the mail to post boxes without having to get out of the car!
I order her car parts for her as they are much cheaper in the UK, and we can get hold of OEM versions instead of having to get proper Land Rover parts from the dealership in Halifax.
When they are imported with Canada Post, everything is OK and the parts arrive a few weeks after, however, when they parts are shipped by courier, they always add on custom duty, even though the parts have a vintage parts certificate included as their customs declaration.
I can't find any details online to say how old the car has to be to be classed as duty free, so why does the importer keep classifying them as vintage unless they expect them to be duty free?
Old Sep 16th 2020, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Import duty on car parts

The UK is still subject to the Most Favoured Nation Rates of duty although the recently signed EU trade deal will eventually remove all duties. Certain parts might be duty free whereas most are subject to duty.

Example radiator and parts. HS code8708.91.29 00 Rate of Duty MFN or CEUT is 6%

While the vehicle may have been duty free parts are not.

The vehicle would have probably been duty free as part as household effects for a settler/former resident of Canada whereas if I imported one today and it met the requirements then I would be paying 6.1% duty.