Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I'm sure I'll forget something?!?!?!?!

I'm sure I'll forget something?!?!?!?!

Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default I'm sure I'll forget something?!?!?!?!

Evening all!!!

I have 9 more sleeps until I leave for firstly my holiday to Houston and then on to Vancouver.

I have had my list out for weeks now, but I bet there is something I forget?! D'oh!!!!

I feel like I'm the first person to do this, but I know there are SO many of you guys who have done it before.... I am doing this totally on my own, and so it's quite daunting as everyone I speak to think I'm totally mad!

What major things may I have forgotten to do???? AARRRGGG!!!

I'm currently sh*tting myself, but also keen, but also happy, but also sad..? Does this make sense?????????????????????

Bxx
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:49 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I'm sure I'll forget something?!?!?!?!

Yes, makes loads of sense, as you said you are doing this on your own so you do not have the support that a lot of us do!
Grab a glass of wine and read the wiki departure list.....
You will be fine.....
Charlie
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Charlie - I've had quite a bit of wine now!!!!!!!!

I'm endeavouring to do this in stages and quite organised... Yet its the small things I'm sure I'll forget....

I just cannot believe that after a year of planning, that I'm actually going to be moving? Doesn't seem real......

AAAAHHHHH

Bx
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
Evening all!!!

I have 9 more sleeps until I leave for firstly my holiday to Houston and then on to Vancouver.

I have had my list out for weeks now, but I bet there is something I forget?! D'oh!!!!
You're going on holiday.

To Houston.

In July.

You obviously forgot that there's nowhere in the United States less comfortable in July than Houston.

But have a great time anyway!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:09 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Charlie - I've had quite a bit of wine now!!!!!!!!

I'm endeavouring to do this in stages and quite organised... Yet its the small things I'm sure I'll forget....

I just cannot believe that after a year of planning, that I'm actually going to be moving? Doesn't seem real......

AAAAHHHHH

Bx
Have a bit more.....
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bill_S
You're going on holiday.

To Houston.

In July.

You obviously forgot that there's nowhere in the United States less comfortable in July than Houston.

But have a great time anyway!
I know it's not the best time to go, but brother lives there, and it's his birthdday and I'm staying with his girlfriend who's got a lovely house with a pool.!!!!

and yes - I've opened some more wine....................................!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:47 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

bandit, i'm not sure if that helps you - i think your feelings are completely normal.

i came over on my own as well.
pretty exactly three years ago. roughly a month between "vancouver island? that's in canada? ok, and that is that huge country in northern america?? working and living there??? " (or in other words knowing nothing about anything) and the moment i accepted the job offer under a young workers exchange program.
and then two months to get the wp, quit my job, jump out of my rental contract (which meant to find somebody who would take the apartment on the same conditions since i didn't really have the liquid funds to pay the penalty), sort through all my stuff, get a place for the things i wouldn't throw out just then (i shipped most of it one and a half years later), clean the rooms which had been home for the five years before - and move out into a completely new world (i hadn't left europe before)...

i'm glad that i had the support and help from friends and family - it would have been impossible to do the whole lot in that short amount of time just on my own. and mind you - i forgot some minor things as well. that's why i still call my sister my secretary.

bandit, you have every quality to do it - on your own. and i just want to wish you all the best on your journey "home". and who knows: see you in vancouver!
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:58 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bandit, you'll be fine
I found the'things to do before you go list helpful', if you're bringing a charger for your mobile phone bring a plug adapter, I found these difficult to get ( out of stock most places) and bring your home insurance reference and details, when we arranged rental contents insurance they wanted the reference number from the UK and the full name and address of your insurers before they could arrange it.
There is so much support and experience on this site, there's always someone here to help you.
You'll go through loads of emotions, I know I still am but thats all normal-
enjoy your holiday and before you know it you'll be here
best of luck
Terese
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terese677
Hi Bandit, you'll be fine
I found the'things to do before you go list helpful', if you're bringing a charger for your mobile phone bring a plug adapter, I found these difficult to get ( out of stock most places) and bring your home insurance reference and details, when we arranged rental contents insurance they wanted the reference number from the UK and the full name and address of your insurers before they could arrange it.
There is so much support and experience on this site, there's always someone here to help you.
You'll go through loads of emotions, I know I still am but thats all normal-
enjoy your holiday and before you know it you'll be here
best of luck
Terese
Whats your plans for this week Bandit ?

You will be fine, make sure you leave all your paper work ( at your mums ) in order just in case you need anything, most things we can manage without anyway, Im sure you will be fine,

Did you have any trouble booking one way to Houston or did you book follow on flight to van ?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

happyguy171 is a jewel in the roughhappyguy171 is a jewel in the roughhappyguy171 is a jewel in the roughhappyguy171 is a jewel in the rough

Bandit,

Good luck with the move. I fly this time next week for good and I can hardly think what else has to be done. It all feels sureal and I cant believe next satuday I will land in Toronto. Good luck with everything.

Colin
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Whats your plans for this week Bandit ?

You will be fine, make sure you leave all your paper work ( at your mums ) in order just in case you need anything, most things we can manage without anyway, Im sure you will be fine,

Did you have any trouble booking one way to Houston or did you book follow on flight to van ?
Hey
Well today my bed is being taken and mum is coming down to help sort the house out and get the garden ready. Tomorrow I'm grooming for my friends and their horses which will be amazing as always. Monday all things not required going to skip, then to London to say more good bye's. Tuesday thehouse is getting a prof clean and Wednesday moving in with friends and having a party there, Thursday mum comes to get me and I move up there, Friday do all last minute shopping and arrange forwarding mail, international drivers lisence etc. Saturday - FLY!!!!!!!!!

I booked to Houston and then onto Van - Continental. It was one way tho

Cheers for all your positive comments...

Bx
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hey
Well today my bed is being taken and mum is coming down to help sort the house out and get the garden ready. Tomorrow I'm grooming for my friends and their horses which will be amazing as always. Monday all things not required going to skip, then to London to say more good bye's. Tuesday thehouse is getting a prof clean and Wednesday moving in with friends and having a party there, Thursday mum comes to get me and I move up there, Friday do all last minute shopping and arrange forwarding mail, international drivers lisence etc. Saturday - FLY!!!!!!!!!

I booked to Houston and then onto Van - Continental. It was one way tho

Cheers for all your positive comments...

Bx
Good to keep busy B xx

Have you got adapters so you can keep your things charged, do you have a lap top ?

Have fun x

sue
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Bandit.....your excitement is infectious! You'll be on your way now....Let us know how you are getting on won't you?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:42 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happyguy171
Bandit,

Good luck with the move. I fly this time next week for good and I can hardly think what else has to be done. It all feels sureal and I cant believe next satuday I will land in Toronto. Good luck with everything.

Colin
Good luck to you too Colin,
Terese
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:45 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Evening all!!!

I feel like I'm the first person to do this, but I know there are SO many of you guys who have done it before.... I am doing this totally on my own, and so it's quite daunting as everyone I speak to think I'm totally mad!

What major things may I have forgotten to do???? AARRRGGG!!!

I'm currently sh*tting myself, but also keen, but also happy, but also sad..? Does this make sense?????????????????????

Bxx
Oh I'm sure it makes absolutely perfect sense to everyone going through the same thing as you (or those that have been before I dare say)

I almost wish I was going alone too - I'm trying to pack a house of 3 kids (4 if you include my hubbie!)

We're also taking a holiday in the USA -Florida - before going on to Calgary. The packing boxes are sitting in my hallway, in their flat-pack state & I know I have to get them filled, numbered, inventoried etc in the next 2 weeks so they can be shipped.

My only worry is waiting for that TWP to pop through the door, had my medical (I'm a nurse) so just waiting for that before making the final bookings of flights etc. Although we have got a flex ticket from BA to Tampa booked (it was a good deal too) which we can change the date of (or even cancel) no charge, it's the on-going flight to Calgary we've not booked yet or the actual shipping date for our junk.

The wiki is great -I've already scoured it umpteen times for advice but I'm bricking it too - just like you.

Now where's that bottle of wine???? or is it too early for the bar to open?

Good luck to you & everyone else engaged in the big pack!

Last edited by RN1; Jul 20th 2008 at 2:51 pm.