57.45%
Live somewhere else
25.53%
Do it down the boozer
4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

If you won the Lottery?

Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you won the Lottery?

Originally Posted by triumphguy
With 10 mil you could probably live on $600,000 a year and never run out of money.
Unless you have very good investments, I reckon after taxes you'd be lucky to clear $25,000 per million. Then you have inflation to consider.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:30 pm

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

i think 10m pretty much allows you to be stateless. Official residence somewhere you don’t pay tax on interest earned.
At 2% interest, that’s 200k a year, i know for the first few years there would be a lot of travelling involved. After that (if the liver holds out) i don’t know.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Unless you have very good investments, I reckon after taxes you'd be lucky to clear $25,000 per million. Then you have inflation to consider.
With 10mil I could get 6% return for life no prob! And get most of it taxed as capital gains.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

With 10 mil you could probably live on $600,000 a year and never run out of money.
You are expecting a 6% return on that $10mill. That's not very realistic today, and as Oink says it needs to be taxed. To make your $10M last you draw an interest income you need to budget for "savings rate - inflation" (if you believe the inflation figures). I actually thing you'd be lucky to get the $25k per mio that Oink has suggested without eroding your capital value.

Personally, I think $10M is not enough to simply forget about money and do everything I'd like. I reckon I'd need at least $40M for that, and if I had $100M so much the better.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

With 10mil I could get 6% return for life no prob! And get most of it taxed as capital gains.
6% would be an extremely good secured rate. If this is your sole income, what percentage of the 600,000 would you have to pay in Canada?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

6% would be an extremely good secured rate. If this is your sole income, what percentage of the 600,000 would you have to pay in Canada?
Even if you could get a 6% rate on your cash; it would be pretty stupid to sit with $10M in the bank. I'd buy a few gold bars and put them under the mattress.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:44 pm

Interest is income is it not?

Anyway, who cares. $10M is not enough for me. I'd be spunking that much per property in various cities around the world, and I'd want more than $600,000k per year to travel between them and live the high life as I have very refined tastes.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 15th 2009 at 4:48 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 4:56 pm

That's why I picked 100,000. It is in Canadian dollars so about 55 million pounds. That'd be enough if you didn't go mad and start being the big shot and donating more than you can realistically afford. People do you know, they get drunk on the adoration and feeling special for doing nothing really.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:03 pm

That's why I picked 100,000. It is in Canadian dollars so about 55 million pounds. That'd be enough if you didn't go mad and start being the big shot and donating more than you can realistically afford. People do you know, they get drunk on the adoration and feeling special for doing nothing really.
I did always think that 5M GBP was the minimum I'd need to retire and not have to worry too much about money ever again - living idly rather than extravagantly. Long gone are the days when I'd retire if I found 1M in my bank account one day.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Interest is income is it not?

Anyway, who cares. $10M is not enough for me. I'd be spunking that much per property in various cities around the world, and I'd want more than $600,000k per year to travel between them and live the high life as I have very refined tastes.

<snipped>

Last edited by iaink; Nov 18th 2009 at 1:21 pm. Reason: Just cos its a quote doesnt mean it passes rule 2
Old Nov 15th 2009, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

What would you do about the begging letters asking for money?

Would you still be sending them?
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:08 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

For me i am happy where i am.........................
The general stuff like look after my friends and family, make sure there lifes are better as well............

Can't fly at the moment so that side is out of it, can't drink either, so thats a downer
OH can have the car of his dreams or maybe 2 or 3
I would still be going for the house that we love, difference would be that i would be paying someone to do it up for me
(o and a private jet for my friends/family back in the uk )