Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If you want more holidays.......

If you want more holidays.......

Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:06 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Wink If you want more holidays.......

Interesting article at:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20...6323e80_1.html

If you're coming to Canada for more vacation time then you maybe want to think about it some more?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you want more holidays.......

People come to canada for more holiday?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:39 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You've heard it all said before:

"We're emigrating because we want more family time together and time to explore the vastness of the country."

I accept you MAY get more family time because you get home at a decent hour rather than a God-awful commute but you ain't going to get more family holidays together.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:06 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
You've heard it all said before:

"We're emigrating because we want more family time together and time to explore the vastness of the country."

I accept you MAY get more family time because you get home at a decent hour rather than a God-awful commute but you ain't going to get more family holidays together.
Its true. I think you need more holiday when you live in Britain though because you feel like you need to keep getting away from the place.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

but you ain't going to get more family holidays together.
On the other hand its a lot easier to spend a weekend in Canada if you live in Canada
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:23 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

This "only 2 weeks vacation a year" is a crock, I think. Mind you, I just retired and had only worked up to 4 weeks a year, but was only in my last job for 10 years. But 3 weeks plus stats seems to be more the norm.

I went shopping today during the daytime - a novelty for me, but as I said, it was my first real day of retirement - and bumped into a Safeway cashier I've known for years, at the store. She told me she's putting off retirement because she has it so good with her employer. 7 weeks paid holiday a year, full benefits, "family days" and on and on. I've evidently been in the wrong kind of job all these years.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

DOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by startwin
This "only 2 weeks vacation a year" is a crock, I think. Mind you, I just retired and had only worked up to 4 weeks a year, but was only in my last job for 10 years. But 3 weeks plus stats seems to be more the norm.

I went shopping today during the daytime - a novelty for me, but as I said, it was my first real day of retirement - and bumped into a Safeway cashier I've known for years, at the store. She told me she's putting off retirement because she has it so good with her employer. 7 weeks paid holiday a year, full benefits, "family days" and on and on. I've evidently been in the wrong kind of job all these years.
I have to agree to some extent.... I get more time off here than I did in the UK... 4 weeks vacation, 15 stats and 6 PDOs (for appointments etc...) compared to 5 weeks in the uk plus 9 stats..... I know one company here in town that gives every second Friday off plus all of the above, works out to about a 1/4 of the year off........

Cheers

Dobbie
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:01 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get 25 days per year + Bank Holidays in the UK, here I get 15 + the stats and to be honest I'm not bothered at all.
The most important thing for me here is my ability to work 1hr extra per day and leave early on a Thursday and take every 2nd Friday off. Pure bliss.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article at:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20...6323e80_1.html

If you're coming to Canada for more vacation time then you maybe want to think about it some more?
This increase in minimum annual leave entitlement includes all bank holidays. It will only effect workers with minimal annaul leave entitlement
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by gryphea
This increase in minimum annual leave entitlement includes all bank holidays. It will only effect workers with minimal annaul leave entitlement
It's still an increase however.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
This "only 2 weeks vacation a year" is a crock, I think.
Its real for me and everyone who worked for either of the two manufacturing companies Ive worked for in the last 10 years....
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Its real for me and everyone who worked for either of the two manufacturing companies Ive worked for in the last 10 years....
its real for my husband too, he hasnt had a day off for over a year. though i think "crock" means that its not good rather than not real
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

It's still an increase however.
It is for those in jobs with very poor entitelment. Those with around 4 weeks currently won't see a difference as this 28 days INCLUDES BHols

Gryph
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:58 pm

It is for those in jobs with very poor entitelment. Those with around 4 weeks currently won't see a difference as this 28 days INCLUDES BHols

Gryph
Not arguing with you. Just stating the facts.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:18 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Gryph
yeah true, I don't get bank holidays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.