Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If you offer someone a polo and.......

If you offer someone a polo and.......

Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Niobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to allNiobii is a name known to all
Smile If you offer someone a polo and.......

If you offer someone a polo and they take two is it rude?

I offered a work colleague a polo from my tube the other day and they took two. I offered them a polo twice more and each time they took two. I eventually stopped offering!

It's really trivial but it's made me wonder if other people would see it as cheeky or slightly rude? If it was family or a close friend I wouldn't care at all.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:56 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you offer someone a polo and.......

This seems to be more of a reaction from how you feel about this person in general, rather than the act they committed.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:02 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Polos: not rude.

Rolos: Now that would be rude.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Rude!!!! Definitely!!

I had a situation I had to decide on the other day as to whether it was rude or just Canadian!!

My boss, when talking to somebody else, always refers to me as "she" not by my name but "she". Now in England that's rude! So I asked my sons teacher the other day for clarification and she confirmed it was rude! I just thought it might have been a "Canadian thing"
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Polos: not rude.

Rolos: Now that would be rude.
Its rude in Aus where you can't buy them that easily!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:18 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its rude in Aus where you can't buy them that easily!
It's rude all over the planet and elephants have long memories!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
It's rude all over the planet and elephants have long memories!
I* actually have a deal with people at work - if I have English goodies then they might get a very small taste but thats all, things like a pack of polos are too precious, and most of them realise it
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Denhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to all

Rude, definitely. Especially for someone who is just a work colleague and not a friend/family member as you say.

As for the 'she' thing, don't get me started. I am frequently agog at the amount of times I'm referred to as the proverbial cat's mother. My husband's family (Canadians) do it ALL the time and I really thought until now that it was just a Canadian thing I would have to learn to live with. My Irish mammy would box my ears if I ever referred to anyone like that!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Not rude at all unless, of course, you had stated that s/he was only to take one, in which case, that appears a little tight.

Don't offer them if they are so precious to you.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 18th 2012 at 1:22 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

He said, she said, we said, nous saidons.....I don't get it.
[from the net].
Father: Did your mother bring in the newspaper?
Child: Yes, she did.
What's wrong with that?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As polo mints are readily available Bulk Barn and Superstores and possibly WalMart (I dont regularly look for them) then its not like they are a hot commodity as opposed to an Uncle Joes Mintball etc.
The same question could be asked if you were offering that worker a crisp (potatoe chip) would you expect them to take only one crisp or is several acceptable.
I guess it depends on your tolerance level.
But woe betide anyone who takes 2 Uncle Joes if I would even consider offering them out.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:16 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

I would find that most unacceptable. I have found some Canadians to be rather greedy when it comes to handing out sweets. For some reason they think it is acceptable to "grab a handful"

I also agree with the "she" comment - from a British perspective it comes across as rude and ignorant . What's wrong with saying "the customer", or this lady /person / client?

Has anyone also noticed how Canadians feel free to ask "how much did that cost you", without any hint of embarassment whatsoever? I am asked this question constantly. It is though they are obsessed with money

Quite honestly, they need to learn some manners and grow up
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:52 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Rude!!!! Definitely!!

I had a situation I had to decide on the other day as to whether it was rude or just Canadian!!

My boss, when talking to somebody else, always refers to me as "she" not by my name but "she". Now in England that's rude! So I asked my sons teacher the other day for clarification and she confirmed it was rude! I just thought it might have been a "Canadian thing"
I thought that was a Canadian thing, I am sure it must be, so many of them do it, especially in the work place.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:55 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Denhamgirl
Rude, definitely. Especially for someone who is just a work colleague and not a friend/family member as you say.

As for the 'she' thing, don't get me started. I am frequently agog at the amount of times I'm referred to as the proverbial cat's mother. My husband's family (Canadians) do it ALL the time and I really thought until now that it was just a Canadian thing I would have to learn to live with. My Irish mammy would box my ears if I ever referred to anyone like that!
So would mine! God love her and keep her.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 2:57 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeannie in a bottle

Has anyone also noticed how Canadians feel free to ask "how much did that cost you", without any hint of embarassment whatsoever? I am asked this question constantly. It is though they are obsessed with money

Quite honestly, they need to learn some manners and grow up

Yes the how much did it cost you, or how much did you make last year question comes up very often for me.

I don't think it's rudeness, I think that the majority of Canadians are just really good at finding bargains and would revel in the fact that they could have saved you $2.79 if you had bought it from a shop 50 miles away instead of locally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.