Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

if the scots go, do you care?

if the scots go, do you care?

Old Feb 22nd 2014, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: if the scots go, do you care?

Originally Posted by Shard
What's wrong with being British? I can understand that you might have reservations about the English (as some Scots do) but British is a completely different animal. At the moment Scotland is an integral part of Britain and British identity. Do you feel in any sense European or only Scottish?
There is nothing wrong with being british,I just dont feel british.I dont have any reservations about the english,I lived in England for 11 yrs or anyone for that matter.Do I feel european ,no,does anyone from UK really feel european?
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 6:42 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
There is nothing wrong with being british,I just dont feel british.I dont have any reservations about the english,I lived in England for 11 yrs or anyone for that matter.Do I feel european ,no,does anyone from UK really feel european?
Some feel European (especially the younger generation). It goes to show it's all a state of mind. One conceptualises Europe as an identity, another conceptualises Little England, another, say, London.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Er,they are a scottish island,part of scotland,scottish people?
The Shetlands haven't always been Scottish.. and have been under Westminster govt. longer than.a Scottish govt. Surely that exact argument can be made for Scotland being part of UK... or is that nor convenient for the independence argument..
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:46 am
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Me..love being branded European, strangely most of the Brits come from Europe.
Plus when I last spoke to ET, I was proud to say I am Human.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 1:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
The Shetlands haven't always been Scottish.. and have been under Westminster govt. longer than.a Scottish govt. Surely that exact argument can be made for Scotland being part of UK... or is that nor convenient for the independence argument..
They were actually under Norwegian and then Norwegian/Danish rule for longer than either of the above. According to sources, 500 years + under the latter two, a mere 237 years under Scottish dominance and of course 311 years in the UK.

Again, of course, they aren't and never were Celts.

I dont think Shetland would be able to claim all the oilfields maybe 3 but if they became independent as you say,what currency would they use ,how would they afford all the costs of running the DHS,NHS,DVLA,what banking system would they use,would their pensions be safe,they are too small,they cannae dae it!
I just love this post, definitive proof that the Latter Day Celts don't do irony.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Technically Im a british citizen but my nationality is scottish,I have never felt or said Im british AND scottish like some people do.
The Shetlands arent "oil rich" isles.They may have some jobs from the oil fields but all the tax revenues goes to Westminister.If they chose to stay with the UK will the Treasury cut a deal with them or just the status quo where the money is just wasted and has been for the last 40yrs and the prospect of being stuck with the tories for ever and a day or go with an indy Scotland and have a fairer share of the revenues.
If the Nats manage it in 2014 - Shetland Independence 2044...........

The Shetlands aren't "oil rich" isles. They may have some jobs from the oil fields but all the tax revenues goes to Edinburgh. If they chose to stay with Scotland will the Scottish Treasury cut a deal with them or just the status quo where the money is just wasted and has been for the last 40yrs and the prospect of being stuck with the Nats for ever and a day or go with an indy Shetlands and have a fairer share of the revenues

Last edited by jimf; Feb 23rd 2014 at 4:43 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...A1M0RI20140223

if this keeps up then common sense may well prevail

if not then good luck to the bunch

Polls show Scots becoming more skeptical about independence

Last edited by montreal mike; Feb 23rd 2014 at 4:11 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
They were actually under Norwegian and then Norwegian/Danish rule for longer than either of the above. According to sources, 500 years + under the latter two, a mere 237 years under Scottish dominance and of course 311 years in the UK.

I just love this post, definitive proof that the Latter Day Celts don't do irony.
You forgot to mention that before the Viking and Norse, Shetland was inhabited by Picts and Pictland became Scotland therefore Shetand has been scottish alot longer than 237yrs as you suggest.Nice try though.
Oh and I was being ironic
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimf
If the Nats manage it in 2014 - Shetland Independence 2044...........

The Shetlands aren't "oil rich" isles. They may have some jobs from the oil fields but all the tax revenues goes to Edinburgh. If they chose to stay with Scotland will the Scottish Treasury cut a deal with them or just the status quo where the money is just wasted and has been for the last 40yrs and the prospect of being stuck with the Nats for ever and a day or go with an indy Shetlands and have a fairer share of the revenues
You think they would be better sticking with westminster,in which way?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

andrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the rough

Ssshh...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...nd-518697.html
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:12 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewjohn
Good find. The end game is going to become very interesting indeed.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

The London cabinet flys into Aberdeen today with "love bombs"!
Attached Thumbnails if the scots go, do you care?-1800239_10201920955603007_894649389_n.jpg-scareforce-1.jpg  
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

You think they would be better sticking with westminster,in which way?
They seem to be unconvinced of the benefits of transferring power from Westminster to Edinburgh. Perhaps they don't find the Braveheart soundbites persuasive. In any event it's up to them.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:46 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

That was an interesting read
Old Feb 24th 2014, 10:01 pm
me/moi

Alex Salmond's take on the report...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9150233.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.