Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ignoring going against medical advice - especially for a patient with so many health issues she eventually died - Would you also ignore the same advice and inject three times a day rather than four to fit around the same issue for needles rather than test strips?

That aside, I am surprised to see you not condemning the public sector for inflexibility.
I have always been advised to test 3 times a day and, as that has worked for me, that is what I have done.

Accepting that your wife may have had issues, why did/do you need to test 4 times a day?
Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:30 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

It just makes no sense to have all that fuss over the system, with all that penny pinching only to then dole out 66% more $$ than was needed.
It surprises me that you might think that any system that is profit led would do anything but seek to maximise that profit. At the end of the day, whether through taxation, insurance or direct customer purchase it will be the population at large who provides these profits. Efficiency is only a consideration where it seeks to reduce profits and this is generally seen as trimming manpower to the bone or eliminating non profit services.

This type of system is seen in it's purest form in the US health care provider with it's support and bribery of the political class. It doesn't take a leap of imagination to visualise elements of this leaching across the border since similar forces are in play.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 9:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have always been advised to test 3 times a day and, as that has worked for me, that is what I have done.

Accepting that your wife may have had issues, why did/do you need to test 4 times a day?
I was advised to test 4 times a day just like you were advised to test three times a day.

I think you're also missing the nature of 'the system' described including how it forces a "do what they say or else" attitude.

The supplies were based on what the doc said. It could be asking for trouble to then use fewer than they've been led to believe was necessary.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
It surprises me that you might think that any system that is profit led would do anything but seek to maximise that profit.
I think you misunderstand.

The system described appears designed to put people off applying by making them provide near impossible levels of documentation and then every member of the household (which could include other relatives or even just friends) having to attend the interview as well as providing all their financial details).

They over estimate income and under estimate expenses even if you prove they are more. They take things into account that they don't for other purposes - quarterly GST refunds, your brother's wages, your Granny's GIS, so even if you do jump through the hoops and over hurdles, the rules still make it very hard to qualify.

If you have any experience of the system you would see that it's made as difficult as possible to see it through to conclusion let alone actually meeting the conditions and succeeding.

They don't say "payer of last resort" for nothing. They don't want to pay if it can be avoided.

The population just accepts this is the way it is and the Province pays too much when they do pay because the 12 x monthly payment is the only way it is. They can't or won't see another way.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jun 30th 2017 at 10:09 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's 60 grand, we want some hard checking... but of course there are limits. They can't get away with beating up on little old ladies.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:46 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I think you misunderstand.
I was commenting on the apparent inflexibility of a system that oversells the required quantity of medication and was hinting at this overselling as profit motivated. Had the 'system' had your best interests in it's sights then it would have identified your needs and met them appropriately.

I fully stand your frustration with needless form filling that harkens back to the nineteenth century.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:09 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by dave_j
I was commenting on the apparent inflexibility of a system that oversells the required quantity of medication and was hinting at this overselling as profit motivated. Had the 'system' had your best interests in it's sights then it would have identified your needs and met them appropriately.
That's it though. The user's best interests would involve having their need met rather than the "payer of last resort" objective. Then they could look for the most cost effective way.

If the aim was to over sell they could simply pass more applicants and do too many for more people.
I fully stand your frustration with needless form filling that harkens back to the nineteenth century.
The form filling's the easy part.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I was advised to test 4 times a day just like you were advised to test three times a day.

I think you're also missing the nature of 'the system' described including how it forces a "do what they say or else" attitude.

The supplies were based on what the doc said. It could be asking for trouble to then use fewer than they've been led to believe was necessary.
Genuine question: (just in case you think I am being particularly obnoxious) when do you test to make it 4 times a day? I test prior to each meal. That way, I know how much insulin to inject (as I know what I will be eating) and I can give a little more or a little less if I am high, or low, from the last injection. So breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:57 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Genuine question: (just in case you think I am being particularly obnoxious) when do you test to make it 4 times a day? I test prior to each meal. That way, I know how much insulin to inject (as I know what I will be eating) and I can give a little more or a little less if I am high, or low, from the last injection. So breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Much the same but the fourth one later in the evening, except that I take two different insulins - the slower Novolin first thing and last thing and the quicker Novorapid first thing and dinner.The two Novolin shots give a 24/7 stability that enables smaller doses of Novorapid and none at lunchtime. Metformin three meal times too.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think mine might be broke so I'm thinking I might need fixing!
Old Jul 1st 2017, 12:00 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Well I think mine might be broke so I'm thinking I might need fixing!
There's no answer to that.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Much the same but the fourth one later in the evening, except that I take two different insulins - the slower Novolin first thing and last thing and the quicker Novorapid first thing and dinner.The two Novolin shots give a 24/7 stability that enables smaller doses of Novorapid and none at lunchtime. Metformin three meal times too.
OK

I take Novorapid with each meal and I take Lantus in place of your Novolin.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

There's no answer to that.
Turns out it wasn't. 🤣