Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Ideas for new inventions

Ideas for new inventions

Old Nov 27th 2014, 1:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ideas for new inventions

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Just charged mine up, I call it a Mexican Lie Detector.
Attached Thumbnails Ideas for new inventions-20141127_083352.jpg  
Old Nov 27th 2014, 1:44 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Go read your chemistry books

There are several exothermic reactions that can be used that don't involve 'flames' that can be used to heat your water

One type in particular has been usd by Nestle to create a self heating coffee can, and its also used quite a lot in japan for self heating Saki...
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Who needs chemistry books when you have
Amazon Amazon

Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody typical.

A dozen self heating cans of soup.

Amazon USA $35.88

Amazon Canada $62.03

Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

There are several exothermic reactions that can be used that don't involve 'flames' that can be used to heat your water

One type in particular has been usd by Nestle to create a self heating coffee can, and its also used quite a lot in japan for self heating Saki...
Did your chemistry teacher at school ever pull the anhydrous copper sulphate stunt on you?

Mine did.

Bastard.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:51 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Did your chemistry teacher at school ever pull the anhydrous copper sulphate stunt on you?

Mine did.

Bastard.
My school teacher was borderline paranoid... I remember lots of blast screens if smoke might appear

Intrigued as to the stunt? hot blue water ????
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:52 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Bloody typical.

Amazon USA $35.88

Amazon Canada $62.03

They have to work twice as hard to get it warm ...... plus they have to work in C and not F ....
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Bloody typical.

Amazon USA $35.88

Amazon Canada $62.03

Demand and supply. Ice fishing.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 3:12 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

My school teacher was borderline paranoid... I remember lots of blast screens if smoke might appear

Intrigued as to the stunt? hot blue water ????
The copper sulphate you may be familiar - the blue crystals, are hydrous copper sulphate. If you heat them in a test tube (endothermic reaction, ie heat going in), the water is driven off. The result is a white powder.

A suitably mad chemistry teacher will then place a mound of the white powder in the palm of the hand of a suitably gullible pupil <waves> and then drip some water on it. That creates an exothermic (heat out) reaction and a fairly rapid and nasty one.

Imagine stubbing a ciggy out on the palm of you hand.

As I recall, the git also got me with nitric acid. That particular experiment was to see how long you could stand having nitric acid on your fingers before sticking your hand under a tap. Not long, is the answer.

I had some explaining to do when I got home, with what looked like serious nicotine stains on my fingers!

All this happened in the 70s, of course.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 3:30 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by Souvy
The copper sulphate you may be familiar - the blue crystals, are hydrous copper sulphate. If you heat them in a test tube (endothermic reaction, ie heat going in), the water is driven off. The result is a white powder.

A suitably mad chemistry teacher will then place a mound of the white powder in the palm of the hand of a suitably gullible pupil <waves> and then drip some water on it. That creates an exothermic (heat out) reaction and a fairly rapid and nasty one.

Imagine stubbing a ciggy out on the palm of you hand.

As I recall, the git also got me with nitric acid. That particular experiment was to see how long you could stand having nitric acid on your fingers before sticking your hand under a tap. Not long, is the answer.

I had some explaining to do when I got home, with what looked like serious nicotine stains on my fingers!

All this happened in the 70s, of course.
Shit That's nasty, and I was thinking maybe holding a beaker and the water getting hotter as he added the powder and it went blue... not directly on the skin... Ouch!!

I think you had a sadist not a teacher

granted pouring ether into toilet bowls and waiting for somebody to smoke /light up in the toilets was funny....

Thinks... there was another chemical that once on your fingers made you look like a 40 a day man... and something else made it go away almost as fast...

Last edited by MikeUK; Nov 27th 2014 at 3:33 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 3:44 pm
Slob

Shit That's nasty, and I was thinking maybe holding a beaker and the water getting hotter as he added the powder and it went blue... not directly on the skin... Ouch!!

I think you had a sadist not a teacher

granted pouring ether into toilet bowls and waiting for somebody to smoke /light up in the toilets was funny....

Thinks... there was another chemical that once on your fingers made you look like a 40 a day man... and something else made it go away almost as fast...
Bicarb? Excellent for most stains. Mixed with olive oil, it is superb for getting grease and oil off your hands.

I think the teacher "retired". Possibly after the incident when he set up a still in a morning class and then fed a bunch of 16-year olds with neat ethanol. We didn't need to go out and smoke pot that lunchtime.