Ice Storms

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:04 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ice Storms

Anyone in the UK, channel 5, programme on about Ice Storms in Canada...
Bit doom and gloom, but ??????????? Food for thought....
Charlie
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:17 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ice Storms

Well, its a consideration. Parts of E Ontario and Quebec were without power for weeks in the winter of 97/98. I have a generator "just in case", but that one was the only one in recent history to cause long term problems. Fantatstic, unreal pictures of the pylons crumpled under the weight.

But you might as well worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, meteor strikes and the rest. Shit happens all over the globe, you just don't really think about it in the UK where the environment largely lacks any sort of extremes.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 23rd 2007 at 7:29 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Originally Posted by purple80
Anyone in the UK, channel 5, programme on about Ice Storms in Canada...
Bit doom and gloom, but ??????????? Food for thought....
Charlie
Oh my

maybe I'll keep a little puppy fat for warmth!!
jo
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Well, its a consideration. Parts of E Ontario and Quebec were without power for weeks in the winter of 97/98. I have a generator "just in case", but that one was the only one in recent history to cause long term problems. Fantatstic, unreal pictures of the pylons crumpled under the weight.

But you might as well worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, meteor strikes and the rest. Shit happens all over the globe, you just don't really think about it in the UK where the environment largely lacks any sort of extremes.
I totally agree, someone predicts wordly disaster of some sort every other day, I just thought it might be of interest to people...

My mind set is that if your number is up, it's up!
Doom and gloom programmes will not prevent anything from happening and there is still more chance of being hit by a bus.

They have mentioned the storm of 1998, apparently more people killed by carbon monoxide than the storm itself!

We do have extremes in this country, just not weather related ones, (bad service, chavs, house prices, credit cards, etc...)

Christ just seen the pictures, who would imagine, that amount of damage could be done!!

Charlie

Last edited by purple80; Apr 23rd 2007 at 7:32 pm. Reason: Having a blonde day, again...
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all

its quite a good show....interesting and factful
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by PaulCall
its quite a good show....interesting and factful
Yep,
Just another fact to add to the growing folder of research...
Charlie
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

carrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by purple80
Yep,
Just another fact to add to the growing folder of research...
Charlie
It is im watching it too.