Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I wonder why.............

I wonder why.............

Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute
Default I wonder why.............

Since I first start using this forum every now and again but on a consistent basis there is a moaning type thread about about the posters taking threads off topic, being sarcastic, cliques etc etc.

I was browsing through the first few pages of the Australian 'The Barbie' which I guess is equivalent to 'The Maple Leaf', and this doesn't seem to be the case in that forum, unless I have missed it, yet in the first two pages of The Maple Leaf there are two such threads.

I wonder if there is some fundamental difference in the personalities of the people that go to Australia v the ones that come to Canada
Old Jul 10th 2010, 7:51 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I wonder why.............

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
Since I first start using this forum every now and again but on a consistent basis there is a moaning type thread about about the posters taking threads off topic, being sarcastic, cliques etc etc.

I was browsing through the first few pages of the Australian 'The Barbie' which I guess is equivalent to 'The Maple Leaf', and this doesn't seem to be the case in that forum, unless I have missed it, yet in the first two pages of The Maple Leaf there are two such threads.

I wonder if there is some fundamental difference in the personalities of the people that go to Australia v the ones that come to Canada
Not sure.

It's a bit too hot for me at the moment. I'm sweating like a fat kid in a cake shop. Still, at least the media had some nice weather for their recent outdoor pursuits in Northumberland
Old Jul 10th 2010, 7:56 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

I had a look through the barbie too. They don't seem to take themselves too seriously. They had a thread called "Show us your Tatts". And another "The Three Word Australian Story", which I quite liked. I've posted a couple of times and braced myself for some abuse, but they were fine.

I agree that maybe it's a reflection on the type of people who chose to live in Canada as opposed to those who choose Australia.

Last edited by John_B; Jul 10th 2010 at 7:58 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. We don't get a thread like that in ages and then 3 come along at once.

I'll never really understand why there is so much angst about this, although I can understand that it is easy to see cliques when you are a new poster. Eventually after a few hundred posts or so you get to know people and you find you are in several "cliques" yourself.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:30 am
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not really. We don't get a thread like that in ages and then 3 come along at once.

I'll never really understand why there is so much angst about this, although I can understand that it is easy to see cliques when you are a new poster. Eventually after a few hundred posts or so you get to know people and you find you are in several "cliques" yourself.
I'm quite new myself, and you do start to see the usual people posting. I don't think I've seen any real evidence of any cliques on the Maple Leaf though.

As to the angst:
It could be that we are becoming more Canadian. I think this reflects the general Canadian culture. Maybe we're just all get a bit too boring.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:50 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_B
I'm quite new myself, and you do start to see the usual people posting. I don't think I've seen any real evidence of any cliques on the Maple Leaf though.

As to the angst:

It could be that we are becoming more Canadian. I think this reflects the general Canadian culture. Maybe we're just all get a bit too boring.
I think there are cliques in the canada forums, but it's a benign sort of cliquery. Much of it is time zone related and people knowing each other IRL and so is to be expected.

I guess some of it is also that engaging with people does take some effort, and once you've got a few posts under your belt it shows you are worth the investment rather than somebody who makes 3 posts and then leaves for good.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:43 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I guess some of it is also that engaging with people does take some effort, and once you've got a few posts under your belt it shows you are worth the investment rather than somebody who makes 3 posts and then leaves for good.
ever asked youself why people only make 3 post and then leaves for good?? and why should somebody who post for the 1st time be worth less 'investment' than somebody who makes 1000?..says it all really!!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
ever asked youself why people only make 3 post and then leaves for good?? and why should somebody who post for the 1st time be worth less 'investment' than somebody who makes 1000?..says it all really!!
FFS
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess it's like any social situation, you can't just walk in to a group of people that already know each other (sort of) and expect to have them hanging on your every word. You have to put a bit of effort it. I would say 3 posts and leaving would not be putting an effort in. I know the board is an information source, but I would say the social side of it has probably overtaken that now or at least equal to it.

So every now and again threads go off topic, people get sniped with a witty comment or put down (or maybe not so witty), but that's just life.

I know for me personally, if it wasn't for the humour and 'smart ass' comments, I probably wouldn't keep looking at the board.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:39 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like how the buses work
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:07 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_B

agree. except for the boring bit.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say I have. What does it say?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 5:44 pm

I know the board is an information source, but I would say the social side of it has probably overtaken that now or at least equal to it.
You can't have one without the other anyway. Not many people would sign in just to be a proxy for CHC's help line.