Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I think it's about time for a TO BE meet up....

Wikiposts

I think it's about time for a TO BE meet up....

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I think it's about time for a TO BE meet up....

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, I see. Yes, well, err...

Wednesday October 14th 2009 at 6:30 pm sharp.

Scotland Yard, the Esplanade, Toronto, ON.

Spouses (posting or non-posting) welcome, especially purple ones.

Children under the age of ca. 20 less so. Markedly less so.

An absolute minimum of one short fat ugly deaf women.

As a reward for exercising a leadership role, I get to drink for free.
Just signed on and seem to have missed out on all the excitement of planning a "get together"

After all these years I finally feel brave enough to meet you all in person..... but us "northerners stuck in the north of Toronto" would have preferred a Friday night! Working til 7pm mid week is a slight problem! So remember me if a PARTY happens.......
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:41 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I see. Yes, well, err...

Wednesday October 14th 2009 at 6:30 pm sharp.

Scotland Yard, the Esplanade, Toronto, ON.

Spouses (posting or non-posting) welcome, especially purple ones.

Children under the age of ca. 20 less so. Markedly less so.

An absolute minimum of one short fat ugly deaf women.

As a reward for exercising a leadership role, I get to drink for free.

<is that what you meant?>
I can do this, but I cannot do the Thursday..........
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:44 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
so it's cheaper to fly to the UK from Montreal?
It seems to be in this case. I had been planning on going to the UK anyway, for half-term. My boss then signed me up to speak at a conference in Washington just before that trip. There seemed to be little point in coming back to Canada. The difference in price between flying direct from Washington to London and flying via Montreal was huge. The itinerary I have cost about $1,650. If I'd gone for the direct option, we'd be in the $3k area.

For the sake of a short hop to Montreal and a couple of hours in the bar, it's worth the effort. The Montreal flight also gets in at a reasonable hour. I'll miss the London rush-hour. I place much value on that.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

That date (the 14th) is the day after Thanksgiving. Have folk factored that into their plans?
Thanksgiving is the Monday...12th isnt it?

My participation on either Wed 14th or Thurs 15th is marginal at best... It would be nice to make it, but Im not promising...
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:51 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to be in this case. I had been planning on going to the UK anyway, for half-term. My boss then signed me up to speak at a conference in Washington just before that trip. There seemed to be little point in coming back to Canada. The difference in price between flying direct from Washington to London and flying via Montreal was huge. The itinerary I have cost about $1,650. If I'd gone for the direct option, we'd be in the $3k area.

For the sake of a short hop to Montreal and a couple of hours in the bar, it's worth the effort. The Montreal flight also gets in at a reasonable hour. I'll miss the London rush-hour. I place much value on that.
Huge difference indeed. Air Canada or France? I actually like the daytime flight out to UK, gets me there later in the evening so I can try and get into the swing of the getting to bed on UK bedtime and TRY to sleep. Could never sleep on a plane, not even with the aid of alcohol.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:59 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thanksgiving is the Monday...12th isnt it?

My participation on either Wed 14th or Thurs 15th is marginal at best... It would be nice to make it, but Im not promising...
You are correct. I apologise. I was referring to my Outlook calendar (and I'd clicked on the wrong day when I put the entry in).
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:10 am
Slob

Huge difference indeed. Air Canada or France? I actually like the daytime flight out to UK, gets me there later in the evening so I can try and get into the swing of the getting to bed on UK bedtime and TRY to sleep. Could never sleep on a plane, not even with the aid of alcohol.
It is an enormous difference. Because of the complexity of this trip, I used a travel agent, instead of the interwebby. I couldn't argue with the price difference, even if it's not my own money.

I also do not like flights from eastern Canada to the UK, particularly the one from Ottawa. It leaves too early - well before bedtime - and gets to London at the worst possible time. I have on more than one occasion routed myself through Toronto, just to arrive in London mid-morning, after most of the Asian long-hauls have arrived. It saves a lot of time and the trip down to Brighton on my special route is much easier.

I will confess that I do use booze to put me to sleep for a few hours on the plane. You feel like crap in the morning but that can be readily fixed.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:13 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

It is an enormous difference. Because of the complexity of this trip, I used a travel agent, instead of the interwebby. I couldn't argue with the price difference, even if it's not my own money.

I also do not like flights from eastern Canada to the UK, particularly the one from Ottawa. It leaves too early - well before bedtime - and gets to London at the worst possible time. I have on more than one occasion routed myself through Toronto, just to arrive in London mid-morning, after most of the Asian long-hauls have arrived. It saves a lot of time and the trip down to Brighton on my special route is much easier.

I will confess that I do use booze to put me to sleep for a few hours on the plane. You feel like crap in the morning but that can be readily fixed.
You have a special route to Brighton? I feel crap when I do the over nighters booze or not, just completely cream crackered. Much prefer the morning flight out of Toronto!

Do you go to UK often?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:30 am
Slob

You have a special route to Brighton? I feel crap when I do the over nighters booze or not, just completely cream crackered. Much prefer the morning flight out of Toronto!

Do you go to UK often?
I go, usually, twice a year (spring and autumn half-term - I still have a son there).

The overnighters are awful, whatever you do. I never make any plans for arrival day, other than getting to Brighton via my secret route (easier, faster and cheaper than any other, when it works).

I always enjoy the return flight. It leaves early afternoon and arrives late afternoon. I never sleep on it. I just read a book or two.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 2:33 am

I go, usually, twice a year (spring and autumn half-term - I still have a son there).

The overnighters are awful, whatever you do. I never make any plans for arrival day, other than getting to Brighton via my secret route (easier, faster and cheaper than any other, when it works).

I always enjoy the return flight. It leaves early afternoon and arrives late afternoon. I never sleep on it. I just read a book or two.

I'm hoping to take the clan next summer, usually go on my own (off season), cheaper and don't have to pull the kids out of school.

I too like the return flight, much more civilized!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I can do either of the last two weekends am working the thanksgiving one.

What time do we think the bunfight will go on until? Finishing work at 4pm and catching the 5.30 train is JUST possible but more likely that I will be later.
Since I live well away from downtown (like many others who I hope will be there) I usually wend my way home no later than about 9 pm. I'm guessing the 5:30 train from Peterborough will get you to Union in about an hour?

Thursday would be better
Herdin' cats, innit?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:11 am

Since I live well away from downtown (like many others who I hope will be there) I usually wend my way home no later than about 9 pm. I'm guessing the 5:30 train from Peterborough will get you to Union in about an hour?

Herdin' cats, innit?
yes
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:14 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Makes more sense to me to drive to Oshawa and take the GO train. That would be my plan anyway....
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Makes more sense to me to drive to Oshawa and take the GO train. That would be my plan anyway....
come on Iaink, commit to coming!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

come on Iaink, commit to coming!
Im trying, but the main thing is overnight logisitics and particularly whether its just me coming to check out skis/ boots (the primary purpose of the trip after all), or whether kids will be in tow, and that's all still up in the air...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.