Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I saw a Wolf and it was massive!

I saw a Wolf and it was massive!

Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I saw a Wolf and it was massive!

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Was he the boy who was crying?
I have no idea who was crying. Jacob is a character from the Twilight series of books, he is a werewolf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Black
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have no idea who was crying. Jacob is a character from the Twilight series of books, he is a werewolf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Black
Don't you just hate it when you have to explain your joke
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a cougar once. She was quite thin.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Ah, where wolf?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

I've only seen wolves in a sanctuary near Golden. I've heard plenty of wolves in the wild but never encountered one. The howling in unison is both spooky & awesome. Its uncanny how they all stop howling at exactly the same second. Due to their diet, the smell from a wolf when one 'lets one go' is worse than gross. This interesting fact was explained to us by the lady at the sanctuary when we were on the receiving end of one. Makes the aroma of a skunk seem quite pleasant.

Have a nice breakfast............
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:50 pm
wassup clique

greentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of lightgreentea3 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, thanks to the believers, the haters, the muppets and the comedians. I'd also like to thank my lovely hubby who warned me about posting on here as he told me I'd get ridiculed and also told me not to bother posting as people have nothing better to do than to discredit what other people say on here.

I think I've learned my lesson now - just keep my mouth shut and just share my experiences with my friends and people who pm me on here.

It's funny because I've received quite a few messages from people saying exactly the same thing that they don't bother posting now because it seems that some people have nothing better to do than berate them and rubbish them.

So, sorry to everyone if I offended you with my sighting - if it makes you feel better I will from now on say that wolves can only be dog sized.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by greentea3
So, sorry to everyone if I offended you with my sighting - if it makes you feel better I will from now on say that wolves can only be dog sized.

Wolves can only be wolf sized. You can get big ones and smaller ones. You cant get wolves that are 5ft tall when on all fours. I hate to break it to you, but whatever it was you saw, you're mistaken if you think it was a 5ft tall wolf.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, thanks to the believers, the haters, the muppets and the comedians. I'd also like to thank my lovely hubby who warned me about posting on here as he told me I'd get ridiculed and also told me not to bother posting as people have nothing better to do than to discredit what other people say on here.

I think I've learned my lesson now - just keep my mouth shut and just share my experiences with my friends and people who pm me on here.

It's funny because I've received quite a few messages from people saying exactly the same thing that they don't bother posting now because it seems that some people have nothing better to do than berate them and rubbish them.

Do we detect a flounce?

Look, there's no point getting all upset. I'm sure the wolf you saw was very big, for a wolf. I'm sure in the heat of the moment and the excitement at spotting it, it may have seemed 5ft tall. But the US National Parks Service, a recognised source for facts on North American fauna, suggests it is unlikely:

The largest wolf on record seems to be the 175-pound Alaskan wolf reported by Young and Goldman (1944). Total lengths of wolves range from 59 to 69 inches, and shoulder heights from 26 to 38 inches
5ft long, yes. 5ft tall at the shoulder? No.

I don't think anybody's tried to discredit you. Fledermaus, Alan2005, Rete and others all agreed it must have been a tremendous creature and an awesome sight. It's just that you are possibly mistaken about how big the thing was. I think it unlikely, frankly, that you saw a wolf that is one-and-a-half times as tall as any that has been seen anywhere in the world ever before.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

I do like a good flounce and have made a few myself but....

A wolf is dog and so is likely to be dog sized

Animal's height is measured to the shoulders so you are talking about a huge animal.

I doubt there was any hate involved in the comments. Your reply to my initial comment was sarcastic and snippy, good for you but don't complain about others when you can dish it yourself.

So you saw a huge wolf, I suggest you tell the MNR as they would be interested to hear about it.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Ah, where wolf?
There wolf . . .

Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dthomas
glad somebody got it!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

In truth, big timberwolves do look really impressive. In the Northern ON area they can be a bit of a pain, same as bears can. In Pickle Lake a couple of years back, doing the lakes in the north, they shut the dump down because the wolves were being a real problem. A big timberwolf would stand tall, although I doubt 5'. I can imagine that it may well have appeared larger than life. 175lbs is one hell of a lot of dog, let's face it. Just be glad you didn't hit it. Could have been nasty if you had. All you need to do is look at the footprints in the snow (in winter, of course) to realise that a retriever they ain't!!

We get quite a few wolves in MB, down in Piney, and one was shot last year a few miles up the road from my house. Just wait a while.. You may get to see a whole lot more different animals. I have seen a mountain lion in MB (weird as there are no mountains) moose, bobcats... All within the Province.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:59 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Try to ignore the poor attempts at humour.

I think it's great that you have seen a wolf. It's something i've yet to see. I also think you should measure out 5ft just to see how high that is
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:10 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the culprit has been caught.
Attached Thumbnails I saw a Wolf and it was massive!-n671035110_4455047_9843.jpg  
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:14 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I think the culprit has been caught.
Isn't that Teen Wolf's dad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.