Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I need clothes! Is there any shop like Evans in Calgary?

I need clothes! Is there any shop like Evans in Calgary?

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

lilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the rough
Default I need clothes! Is there any shop like Evans in Calgary?

I've just arrived in Canmore and owing to last minute chaos I've ended up with hardly any clothes!

I have great coats and boots but only a few t-shirts and a couple of fleeces. I've never found any plus size shops in Canmore or Banff so I need to venture further. Can anyone suggest shops for nice plus sizes, not granny clothes! I know of online places but I really prefer to try things on.

Thanks!!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all
Default Re: I need clothes! Is there any shop like Evans in Calgary?

Originally Posted by lilbiteb
I've just arrived in Canmore and owing to last minute chaos I've ended up with hardly any clothes!

I have great coats and boots but only a few t-shirts and a couple of fleeces. I've never found any plus size shops in Canmore or Banff so I need to venture further. Can anyone suggest shops for nice plus sizes, not granny clothes! I know of online places but I really prefer to try things on.

Thanks!!
Penningtons do plus sizes but you may want to check out their website to see where they have stores.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:21 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Again, best to check websites for where stores are, but Addition-Elle is a plus-size store, Reitmans do a plus range as do Cotton Ginny (which is worth watching as they do great sales - recently got three tops for $20, and two pairs of capris for $16 and they're clothes are good quality, but basic styles). If you are going to somewhere like Calgary/Edmonton/Vancouver you would probably find all of them there. Hudson Bay Company larger stores will have a plus size area, but you might have to hunt for it!

Sears have limited (and old fashioned) plus size stuff, but if you can find a Sears with a Lands End bit, their plus size stuff is just the same as regular. Winners can have the occasional bit, but tends to be v. old fashioned, and for very tall people as well - i could wear some of their jeans as boob tubes (and they'd still be too long!). If you can bring yourself to do it - Walmart has got some alright pieces and I actually find the jeans that best fit me there - and only 24 bucks.

As you can probably guess from my knowledge, I am larger size, and I find I can shop at Old Navy as well - the more fitted tops/trousers won't fit, but jumpers, t-shirts, pyjamas and trackie bottoms are all fine.

Last edited by pinkmcfarquhar; Sep 23rd 2008 at 4:51 pm. Reason: sales at cotton ginny!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:27 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not British, and I have no idea who Evans is.

But I quite like the regular Laura stores, and there is a Laura Plus in Market Mall in the northwest quadrant.

If you were approaching Calgary from Canmore, this location would be fairly convenient for you. It's on Shaganappi Trail, near 32nd Avenue NW. It's a large indoor shopping mall. When you see it you won't be able to miss it.

There are lots of other stores in Market Mall, so even if you don't see something you like in Laura, you might find what you're looking for in another store.

Market Mall has branches of Addition-Elle, Reitmans, Old Navy, and The Bay ....... to mention some of the stores from pinkmcfarquhar's list.
x
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

lilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all so much. I was feeling totally like a fish out of water re. stores so I'm off to Market Mall at the weekend! The women in Canmore all seem so skinny and fit and the shops cater to that.

I guess I have a bit of work to do!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:57 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Addition elle are fantastic , they also do mail order and a nice rewards scheme .

http://www.1-plus.com/additionelle.htm

I have found the one I use in toronto to be fantastic. They do short sizes in jeans . They regularly have specials as well . I find clothes alot cheaper there than in the UK
Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I was moaning to an American friend that I missed some of the stores I shopped at in the US and she told me about Winners - http://www.winners.ca/en/index.asp

I found loads of fashionable plus size stuff in there the last couple of weeks and hubby has banned me from going in for a while I got tops, pants, boots, handbag and perfume, all in the one store, great prices

I don't know if the fashionable stuff is a regular thing but I much preferred it to Addition Elle's offerings.

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Sep 24th 2008 at 1:32 am.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Mark's Work Warehouse is another option.

I like Reitmans clothes, but find that their t-shirts shrink greatly when tumble dried.

Linda
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

Thank you all so much. I was feeling totally like a fish out of water re. stores so I'm off to Market Mall at the weekend! The women in Canmore all seem so skinny and fit and the shops cater to that.

I was at Market Mall last weekend and the Laura stores are closed for refurbishment at the moment. You will still find Reitmans, Northern Reflections, H&M and the Bay.

Have fun shopping!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:43 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

If you're feeling real brave theres a Laura in the Chinook
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:12 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
If you're feeling real brave theres a Laura in the Chinook
Oh come on, if you're going to make that sort of suggestion, why not be gentle with a newcomer and suggest that she drives out to Spray Lakes and mud wrestles a bear?
x
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:17 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Oh come on, if you're going to make that sort of suggestion, why not be gentle with a newcomer and suggest that she drives out to Spray Lakes and mud wrestles a bear?
x
hey, its better than the suggestion i got from the balcony (17th ave or Stephens Ave )
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
x
because butch is very unfunny