British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   I miss my daily (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/i-miss-my-daily-734612/)

AmyDavid Oct 4th 2011 11:40 am

Re: I miss my daily

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 9657831)
spams nice too:thumbup:

No it is NOT. Are you quite crazy Flogger? Next you will be telling me corned beef in a tin is great. :eek:

Flogger Oct 4th 2011 11:54 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 9657858)
No it is NOT. Are you quite crazy Flogger? Next you will be telling me corned beef in a tin is great. :eek:

Give me a spoon and a tin of corned beef and I am quite content.

angelfire37 Oct 4th 2011 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 9657880)

I think i am gonna throw up :rofl:

AmyDavid Oct 4th 2011 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 9657880)

Just sit tight. I have called the Special Ambulance to come get you. They are bringing a lovely, warm, cosy white jacket for you to pop on, so don't be scared..:rofl:

Atlantic Xpat Oct 4th 2011 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 9657831)
spams nice too:thumbup:

I'm with you on this. There is something quite enjoyable about a spam sandwich (on white bread natch). It lasts until the final mouthful is consumed and then the remorse (& heartburn) sets in.....;)

The Canadian (or probably just Newfoundland) equivalent seems to be "Vienna Sausages". Frequently eated straight from the tin by friends and relatives here.

pinkmcfarquhar Oct 4th 2011 2:46 pm

our dogs love vienna sausages! i'm sure they are extremely healthy for them to have. not.

arniedog Oct 4th 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9657688)
Your prerogative mate, but if you think that's sensible or even sane then I don't give you much chance of successfully making the change to living in a foreign country.

you think i might end up coming back to England because i like a certain teabag thats sold in England :confused:wow i can just picture the scene on my arrival back in the UK....why did you come back ? What happened in Canada to make you return ? .....well i failed to adjust to Canadian life because i didnt find a Canadian teabag i liked :blink: good job ive found a Canadian lager i like otherwise i might as well just cancel the flights now

dbd33 Oct 4th 2011 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by arniedog (Post 9658126)
ive found a Canadian lager i like

Coors Lite?

Geordie Lass Oct 4th 2011 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by arniedog (Post 9658126)
you think i might end up coming back to England because i like a certain teabag thats sold in England :confused:wow i can just picture the scene on my arrival back in the UK....why did you come back ? What happened in Canada to make you return ? .....well i failed to adjust to Canadian life because i didnt find a Canadian teabag i liked :blink: good job ive found a Canadian lager i like otherwise i might as well just cancel the flights now

:rofl: I'm a tetleys girl myself. Although if god forbid I couldn't get hold of tetleys second best would be Yorkshire Tea (even if it is grown in India!)

And for the record I will be getting friends and family to bring me teabags. Saying that I get a mate to ship me Dunkin Donuts from America. Fussy? Me? Nah I just like what I like! :D

arniedog Oct 4th 2011 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 9658665)
:rofl: I'm a tetleys girl myself. Although if god forbid I couldn't get hold of tetleys second best would be Yorkshire Tea (even if it is grown in India!)

And for the record I will be getting friends and family to bring me teabags. Saying that I get a mate to ship me Dunkin Donuts from America. Fussy? Me? Nah I just like what I like! :D

shhh dont let novocastrian hear you say that youll be written off as another failed immigrant :p

Geordie Lass Oct 4th 2011 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by arniedog (Post 9658723)
shhh dont let novocastrian hear you say that youll be written off as another failed immigrant :p

I don't mind being a failure in that respect... - I'll ponder it over a dunkin donuts or tetleys... ;):D

arniedog Oct 4th 2011 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9658637)
Coors Lite?

coors lite now you are being silly , i was thinking more along the lines of fosters:rofl:although i was in a bar in downtown Toronto once and asked the barman if he could recommend a Canadian lager he tried to convince me that carlsberg was in fact Canadian :eek::beer:

arniedog Oct 4th 2011 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 9658724)
I don't mind being a failure in that respect... - I'll ponder it over a dunkin donuts or tetleys... ;):D

being a Geordie lass dont you miss a nice bit of stotie (prob spelt completely wrong)cake with your tetleys:thumbsup:well i think thats what my grandad used to call it

Geordie Lass Oct 4th 2011 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by arniedog (Post 9658740)
being a Geordie lass dont you miss a nice bit of stotie (prob spelt completely wrong)cake with your tetleys:thumbsup:well i think thats what my grandad used to call it

Stotties aren't cakes! ;) Stotties are great big soft bread buns for sandwiches! :rofl:

But yes you can't beat a good stottie - with fish and chips and a cuppa! :)

arniedog Oct 4th 2011 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 9658743)
Stotties aren't cakes! ;) Stotties are great big soft bread buns for sandwiches! :rofl:

But yes you can't beat a good stottie - with fish and chips and a cuppa! :)

Ahh i see , well after all these years i finally find out what they are lol :thumbsup:

Geordie Lass Oct 4th 2011 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by arniedog (Post 9658746)
Ahh i see , well after all these years i finally find out what they are lol :thumbsup:

Great big bread buns - usually so big they dip a bit in the middle. You'd be hard pushed to eat a whole one yourself for lunch! :)

:thumbup:

arniedog Oct 4th 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 9658748)
Great big bread buns - usually so big they dip a bit in the middle. You'd be hard pushed to eat a whole one yourself for lunch! :)

:thumbup:

i wouldnt bet on it , not if it was filled with crispy bacon with a drizzle of maple syrup over it :thumbsup::beer:

Geordie Lass Oct 5th 2011 12:12 am

Originally Posted by arniedog (Post 9658762)
i wouldnt bet on it , not if it was filled with crispy bacon with a drizzle of maple syrup over it :thumbsup::beer:

I love bacon, love maple syrup but wouldn't think to put the two together... sounds a bit wrong to me... will try it tho! ;)

Washed down with a can of Canadian Calsberg? :rofl:

ultrarunner Oct 5th 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 9658788)
I love bacon, love maple syrup but wouldn't think to put the two together... sounds a bit wrong to me... will try it tho! ;)

Washed down with a can of Canadian Calsberg? :rofl:

As suppose to a Danish Calsberg? :D

ultrarunner Oct 5th 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 9657858)

Are you saying it's not? One word for you

EXETER :D

Novocastrian Oct 5th 2011 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9658814)

If I were fluent I could likely translate into Danish, but since the rule is English only on the board, I think "As opposed to a Danish Carlsberg" is the best I can do.

At least it's clear you didn't plagiarize that remark.

arniedog Oct 5th 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9658814)

the funniest thing about it was that i pointed out to him that actually carlsberg was from Denmark he replied never heard of them !:thumbsup:

ultrarunner Oct 5th 2011 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 9660243)
If I were fluent I could likely translate into Danish, but since the rule is English only on the board, I think "As opposed to a Danish Carlsberg" is the best I can do.

At least it's clear you didn't plagiarize that remark.

Copyright: Blog.bcm.com

http://blog.bcm.com.au/wp-content/up...ull_empty1.jpg

Aviator Oct 6th 2011 2:29 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9660870)

Semantics, but it is ©Pelikan Artline Pty Ltd.

http://www.artline.com.au/Pages/Media.aspx

Who also own the trademark.

ultrarunner Oct 6th 2011 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 9661196)
Semantics, but it is ©Pelikan Artline Pty Ltd.

http://www.artline.com.au/Pages/Media.aspx

Who also own the trademark.

There you have it! My pleasure to keep you busy, you just won me a fiver :rofl:

Aviator Oct 6th 2011 3:26 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9661248)
There you have it! My pleasure to keep you busy, you just won me a fiver :rofl:

Sure :rofl:

samjr400 Oct 7th 2011 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9657745)
*sigh* ....Arniedog, looks like you've just been given a taste of egojuice there in a previous post

http://ericleeh.com/wp-content/uploa...g+BN+palah.jpg

On a more positive note, they just opened a Timmies in Dubai last month. I think I heard you need a million bucks for a franchise? We had a Timmies in Afghanistan when I was on my tour

When my OH was in Afghan they had removed the 'Timmies' because they were getting 'Tummies' :)

ultrarunner Oct 7th 2011 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by samjr400 (Post 9663539)
When my OH was in Afghan they had removed the 'Timmies' because they were getting 'Tummies' :)

You are right about that....it turned out folks were stuffing their faces, and forgetting to workout, mostly the logistics types that had desk jobs :thumbdown:

HGerchikov Oct 8th 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9663930)
You are right about that....it turned out folks were stuffing their faces, and forgetting to workout, mostly the logistics types that had desk jobs :thumbdown:

Walmart (at least the one near me) has just started stocking 'British Groceries', you can get Polo mints, Yorkshire Tea, Club Biscuits, Roses Lime Marmalade, Branston Pickle, my personal favourite - Twiglets, and lots more stuff that I had completely forgotten about. Prices seem pretty reasonable too. I have always been one to adapt to the products on offer here - but I must admit to having slipped the odd club biscuit into my trolley.

Joolschweetie Oct 11th 2011 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 9664984)
Walmart (at least the one near me) has just started stocking 'British Groceries'

As has ours - I have to admit getting a little giddy on seeing rather generous-sized bars of Dairy Milk beckoning me from across the aisle :D and the Canadian OH nearly wet himself seeing an extra large jar of Branston pickle. Lol.

I've happily accepted groceries over here, but sometimes, just sometimes, there are times when a bar of dairy milk and a cup of yorkshire tea is required... nom nom!