Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I hate washing machines.

I hate washing machines.

Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:10 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default I hate washing machines.

I have been with my OH for 8 years. In that time I have had 8 washing machines. Each one has blown up and died. What am I doing wrong? Should I only actually be looking at them and not actually using them?

The most recent one has today blown up. I am now going to go without one and everyone can be dirty and smell.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hate washing machines.

Its a pain in the backside when your washer goes t**s up. Silly question but do you have a launderette there?
I have the same problem with vacuum cleaners though. Have had 5 in 5 years. Dunno what happens to them as they defo do not get overworked
Tina
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:46 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albertabound
Its a pain in the backside when your washer goes t**s up. Silly question but do you have a launderette there?
I have the same problem with vacuum cleaners though. Have had 5 in 5 years. Dunno what happens to them as they defo do not get overworked
Tina
There is a launderette about a mile up the road thankfully!

I have now managed to fix the latest one...am becoming quite the mechanic since I moved here lol
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ExcitedBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Check it out: One could always just refer to an owner's manual - except that, according to an Electrolux spokesperson, women often prefer not to have to read manuals.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...michele-hanson

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I have been with my OH for 8 years. In that time I have had 8 washing machines. Each one has blown up and died. What am I doing wrong? Should I only actually be looking at them and not actually using them?

The most recent one has today blown up. I am now going to go without one and everyone can be dirty and smell.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ExcitedBrit
Check it out: One could always just refer to an owner's manual - except that, according to an Electrolux spokesperson, women often prefer not to have to read manuals.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...michele-hanson
Your so lucky your not in smacking distance of me. I think you will find that it is men that do not read instructions, nor ask for directions, nor admit when they are wrong...about ANYTHING...
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

...it was about the vatican!! Ohey, take it easy

Your so lucky your not in smacking distance of me. I think you will find that it is men that do not read instructions, nor ask for directions, nor admit when they are wrong...about ANYTHING...
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:37 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We have gone through 5 electric kettles in little over 2 years here Much cheaper than washing machines though and always replaced for free or refunded

Biggest problem with washing machines is that people often tend to overfill them with clothes and the drum goes out of control. Years ago one of our washing machines was moving around in the kitchen like a dalek
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:39 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is clearly a man.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Biggest problem with washing machines is that people often tend to overfill them with clothes and the drum goes out of control. Years ago one of our washing machines was moving around in the kitchen like a dalek
Yes, people do tend to overfill them and they will jump around, particularly if the feet are not properly levelled.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree, thats what my mum does, last time we replaced the electric motor oursleves after the tech guy asked for a fortune! About jumping around- yeah very true indeed, we even named one of our machines Frankenstein - Mum would always forget to check if the load is balanced in the drum!

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Yes, people do tend to overfill them and they will jump around, particularly if the feet are not properly levelled.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ExcitedBrit
I agree, thats what my mum does, last time we replaced the electric motor oursleves after the tech guy asked for a fortune! About jumping around- yeah very true indeed, we even named one of our machines Frankenstein - Mum would always forget to check if the load is balanced in the drum!
If it's a top-loader, one thing that can happen is that a little rubber wheel that moves the drum wears out. That causes lots of vibration. I didn't know that until I paid a guy lots of money to fix something I could have done in five minutes.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:12 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

If you are destroying a washer per year you are obviously doing something wrong. You should definitely buying extended warranty on these appliances although it's not something I believe in. I would suggest that a washer should last at least 5 years and probably up to 10 years in a busy, with children, household.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

didnt know about this rubber component. thanks. yeah its a top loader, its a made in japan sanyo BTW and parts are expensive courtesy of the Japanese...and its not doing the wobbly mumbo jumbo anymore now. But ill keep an eye of that wheel.

Originally Posted by Souvenir
If it's a top-loader, one thing that can happen is that a little rubber wheel that moves the drum wears out. That causes lots of vibration. I didn't know that until I paid a guy lots of money to fix something I could have done in five minutes.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously you need a new OH.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
We have gone through 5 electric kettles in little over 2 years here Much cheaper than washing machines though and always replaced for free or refunded

We have gone through 5 kettles in 9 months but as you say cheaper than a washing machine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.