Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I Hate House Selling!

I Hate House Selling!

Old May 12th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice
Default Re: I Hate House Selling!

Originally Posted by blueeyes2002
You're lucky...1.5 is the going rate for sole agency here. 2% is the norm for multi and they won't budge on it at all! There is only 1 agency that will and we've been listed with them for months.....
All the agents around here are 1.25%.
Having said that we have just fired the first one after only 1 viewing in over 3 months. We have now dropped over 20k, put it up with someone else last w/e and we have a viewing tomorrow.
Must dash to "muck out" as we are "living" in the house, starting to pack and NOW someone wants to come round!
May be gone for a long while
jo
Old May 12th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bear-diesel
All the agents around here are 1.25%.
Having said that we have just fired the first one after only 1 viewing in over 3 months. We have now dropped over 20k, put it up with someone else last w/e and we have a viewing tomorrow.
Must dash to "muck out" as we are "living" in the house, starting to pack and NOW someone wants to come round!
May be gone for a long while
jo
Fingers crossed for you bear!!!
Old May 12th 2007, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Originally Posted by The TWs
Fingers crossed for you bear!!!
Many thanks TW's
I've just knocked off for a cuppa, then its back to the grind. I can't believe how untidy a house becomes from one w/e to another.
maybe we could kennel the dogs and the kids till it's sold
jo
Old May 12th 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I hate it too. We went on market on weds. This coincided with the website at our agents going down until friday pm meaning that it didn't get its right move or prime location launch until late pm friday. Really annoying.

In the local paper yesterday and so all morning interested parties couldn't see the details.

Today had one guy (who was actually a spooky stalker ex-our-house owner who was I reckon just visitng for a nose) just not show- I mean what bad manners?

Then one lady and three boys whose getting divorced and is no way she'll buy it. Then another lady straight from a property £75K more than ours (so obviously ours didn't look so great in comparison) . Then a lovely couple. Reckon no takers but I guess at least we got some footfall. Fed up already , especially as I was up to gone midnight last night preparing for the no show!

eek

All agents round us are 1.25% and actually Although I did try negotiating, they wouldn't budge and I don't think its in your interests to have a low commisision in comparison to their other similar priced houses as there is then no incentive to push your house over others

Gryphea
Old May 12th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
I hate it too. We went on market on weds. This coincided with the website at our agents going down until friday pm meaning that it didn't get its right move or prime location launch until late pm friday. Really annoying.

In the local paper yesterday and so all morning interested parties couldn't see the details.

Today had one guy (who was actually a spooky stalker ex-our-house owner who was I reckon just visitng for a nose) just not show- I mean what bad manners?

Then one lady and three boys whose getting divorced and is no way she'll buy it. Then another lady straight from a property £75K more than ours (so obviously ours didn't look so great in comparison) . Then a lovely couple. Reckon no takers but I guess at least we got some footfall. Fed up already , especially as I was up to gone midnight last night preparing for the no show!

eek

All agents round us are 1.25% and actually Although I did try negotiating, they wouldn't budge and I don't think its in your interests to have a low commisision in comparison to their other similar priced houses as there is then no incentive to push your house over others

Gryphea
At least you got some viewers - havent had any of those for two weeks
Old May 12th 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
At least you got some viewers - havent had any of those for two weeks
I know - I am grateful. Its just all such a slog isn't it?
Old May 12th 2007, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

The Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really niceThe Broady's is just really nice

I HATE SELLING!!

We have been on since March and the wretched estate agents have been crap. I am constantly on the phone to them checkng we are in the window etc - they are all the same so it doesn't help at all. And don't get me started on no shows - you spend ages cleaning so it looks like a blummin show home,change your plans on a sunny weekend and they don't turn up (twice that's happened!)
grrrrrr -rant over
Thanks!!!!
Old May 12th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

I have no idea what agents do for their money - def feel they work more for the buyers than us! Had a viewing today with a sweet family and think they liked it but no feedback from the agent. AND I showed most of the house myself!
Old May 13th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

we're nowhere near putting our house on the market and i'm already getting frustrated! everything you guys have been talking about - cr*p agents, no-shows, no viewings etc etc all my fears.

to save having to pay extortionate early redemption fees i don't want to sell until the end of april, but i really don't know when to put the house on the market!
end of the year nov/dec seems pointless as everyone's too tied up with christmas to want to be looking at houses but if i leave it til jan/feb (when the house & garden look the worst) will i get any viewings? the bl**dy useless way of selling houses in england (and wales?) means so much more uncertaintly and and so much more stress!

and that's before we look at having to pay out around £5-7k in estate agency fees for them doing what exactly?? most people i've spoken to or read about on here do their own viewings; the agents can put together a fancy brochure with colour pictures - but so can anyone with a computer, digital camera and printer; agents have websites - but there are "for sale by owner" websites you can use (i'm seriously cosidering this route)
estate agents must be the most hated people around, maybe even more so than CHC at times i bet!! :curse: :curse: :curse:

i get so angry when i hear about the problems people have selling their house, especially when i hear from friends in glasgow how quick and easy the whole process is!

rant over now! off to clear stuff out the loft in prep for next year!!

karma to all!
Old May 13th 2007, 4:55 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thundercat600
we're nowhere near putting our house on the market and i'm already getting frustrated! everything you guys have been talking about - cr*p agents, no-shows, no viewings etc etc all my fears.

to save having to pay extortionate early redemption fees i don't want to sell until the end of april, but i really don't know when to put the house on the market!
I would seriously suggest get on and start selling unless you have serious doubts about whether you'll get your visas. If all goes well and you sell early, you can invest the capital and most likely use the interest for paying rent til you can move.

It's absolutely the worst thing being granted visas then not being able to go cos you haven't sold the house. You drop and drop the price and the buyers know you are desperate and it's easy for them to try and take advantage!! :curse:
Old May 13th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The TWs
I have no idea what agents do for their money - def feel they work more for the buyers than us! Had a viewing today with a sweet family and think they liked it but no feedback from the agent. AND I showed most of the house myself!
Hi
The new agent sent viewers today, and they turned up We had to show our selves, but who cares,it was someone thro the door
They came ,they saw, but don't know if we have conquered yet
BUT whist we were cleaning windows, emptying bins etc etc, we were aware of cars slowing down/stopping to have a look, so fingers crossed We kept having to dart away from the windows so that it wasn't us looking at them, looking at us feeling a little like a goldfish, but definatly not complaining. Just hope they turn into more viewers
We have had more interest/gawpers in one day than we had in over 3 months with last agent
jo
Old May 13th 2007, 10:24 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to all of you - it's truly hideous unless you are one of those extremely lucky people who sell within minutes of going on the market or whatever.... for everyone else it is a nightmare of epic proportions (or at least that's how it seems when you are up to your eyes in the sh*t of it all!!) so massive sympathies and many virtual hugs to everyone doing this...

Old May 14th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

I love feedback from agents - its so unhelpful. Couple who viewed at the weekend: he loved it but she thought it was "too done up" and wanted somewhere "she could put her own stamp on" - isn't that what paint is for? grrrrrrr! oh well!
Old May 14th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

One of my feedbacks was they didnt like the look of the road - too many kids !!!

It's a family house on a family cul de sac FFS

You will find you buyer hun

Gaynor
x