Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

Wikiposts

I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
I'm not bitter at all. I grew up thinking Glasgow was a violent dump to be avoided if at all possible

I grew up in a Ayr around 35 miles from Glasgow but never thought that it was a violent dump so I am curious to why you grew up thinking that?

It's just the stereotype that existed in the sixties and seventies, Glasgow violent, Liverpool lots of theft, everywhere north of Watford somehow a bit naff. Cliches of course but I think they reflected the general perception of the UK then and I've no reason to think things have changed.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's just the stereotype that existed in the sixties and seventies, Glasgow violent, Liverpool lots of theft, everywhere north of Watford somehow a bit naff. Cliches of course but I think they reflected the general perception of the UK then and I've no reason to think things have changed.
Don't you think that's the problem? It's the perception of a place that sticks in one's mind, not the reality.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Don't you think that's the problem? It's the perception of a place that sticks in one's mind, not the reality.
That may be a problem but the thread header indicates surprise that Glasgow is a violent place, the point I, and others, make is that within living memory Glasgow has always been considered a violent place - the surprise isn't justified.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 9th 2007 at 12:06 am.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

I know what you’re saying and I am so sorry to hear about your relative. It is totally unacceptable.

The problem is that there are areas in which is happens. I live in London now, but grew up in Glasgow and I wouldn’t walk down Muder Mile any more or less than I would walk down Possil main street on a Saturday night. The point being is that in a generalist sense Glasgow is not that Bad. When you live there you learn to be street wise. It’s the UK as a whole that has this thug mentality, of which I appreciate Glasgow is a part of. If you ask me bring on Canada. You can go anywhere at anytime and I feel much safer than I do in the UK. I feel Glasgow has changed in the last 20 years particularly on the sectarian front. Hopefully the new generation will learn

I suppose it does depend on where you live and its all down to personal experience
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

That may be a problem but the thread header indicates surprise that Glasgow is a violent place, the point I, and others, make is that, within living memory Glasgow has always been considered a violent place - the surprise isn't justified.
Quite, the surprise isn't justified, virion made a point about Hackney, I came from the outskirts of Plymouth to live there at the age of 11 and believe me after where I'd been living it was a descent into hell. However one deals with it and I adapted, as youngsters (and indeed people generally) do.

Last edited by steve666; Aug 9th 2007 at 12:09 am. Reason: dunno, too many words
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

Also Beirut. And Anacostia. And Rexdale. In fact we could make a list of places generally considered to be violent (regardless of the accuary of the perception) and send it to the CBC so they wouldn't have to send their bimbos to be gobsmacked on discovering that violent places actually do have violence; not everywhere in the world is like Mississauga.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:20 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not being sarcastic but I am surprised that you are surprised!

I am a born and bred Scot, I love my country and my kinsmen but I will admit to being very unfortunately cautious whilst out and about in my home cities.

I have seen so many 'incidents'..kick-ins, fights in taxi ranks, domestic assaults etc on the city streets that I must admit that pretty much most places seem rather serence in comparison.

I will give you the example of being in a music bar in Melbourne last week, no issues, no bother, left at 2am...home did not feel as safe.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Also Beirut. And Anacostia. And Rexdale. In fact we could make a list of places generally considered to be violent (regardless of the accuary of the perception) and send it to the CBC so they wouldn't have to send their bimbos to be gobsmacked on discovering that violent places actually do have violence; not everywhere in the world is like Mississauga.
The violence in Mississauga is in the minds of those who live there.

People are always defensive of where they live, they don't like outsiders spouting off about their home towns being crap, even if they know it themselves.

Last edited by steve666; Aug 9th 2007 at 12:34 am. Reason: dunno
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:39 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

People are always defensive of where they live, they don't like outsiders spouting off about their home towns being crap, even if they know it themselves.
Nope - I think you'll find it's on the brusied and bloody faces, arms and legs of those who live there and ignored by those who pass through on their way to and from work.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

Understand that I don't hold Mississauga to be an exemplary community. It just gets on my tits that the Canadian media is so parochial, America scares them, Europe baffles them, Asia is left to be explained on the Omni channel. I'm not sure the networks here know that there's a place called Africa.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:48 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

not everywhere in the world is like Mississauga.
Thank [Expletive] for that.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Madmac
Nope - I think you'll find it's on the brusied and bloody faces, arms and legs of those who live there and ignored by those who pass through on their way to and from work.
Same thing, different accent.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I edited that that out of my reply lol.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 12:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Indeed.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Calgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really nice

Originally Posted by virion
I grew up in Glasgow then moved to London, Hackney's "Murder Mile" to be precise. I have to say that I felt far more threatened in Glasgow than I ever did in East London. In London, you find trouble but in Glasgow it finds you. In London it seemed that there were far few people getting a shoeing from people they didn't know for no reason. Yes there are guns in London, but if you are not in a gang or selling drugs you will have little problems from them.

With the number of 'mistaken identity' shootings and stabbings in London, I'm surprised you can make that comment.

I also believe that sectarianism, though it does still exist, is far less common than it has been historically....the ban on football colours being worn in a large number of pubs in Glasgow has helped reduce the number of sectarian motivated incidents.

most of the 'shoeings' are purely down to binge drinking...and that can happen in any city across the world. Alcohol is getting cheaper and more accessible.....it can cost you more to buy a bottle of water...but thats a whole different thread!!!

In glasgow they do tend to check 'are you Jimmy, Bobby's son?' before 'panning your heed' in....

Nicky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.