Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

Wikiposts

I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

I saw a repeat of The Feral Boys of Glasgow. I was astounded - the UN says that Glasgow is the most violent city in the developed world!!

http://www.cbc.ca/sunday/2006/10/100106_1.html

You can watch the video there.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:06 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

Too violent for me. Alcohol plays a huge part in the violence on British streets.

I am sad to say that many town/city centres in the UK are no-go areas particularly on weekend nights. When I lived in Aberdeen there were many people beaten up at a weekend by total strangers. Every Monday the local newspaper carried the stories. Assaults either took place at a club, taxi rank or worst of all, people were targetted whilst innocently making their way home - and all for the 'fun' of it . A work colleague's son was walking home with his girlfriend and was attacked and beaten up for no reason. Women can also be as bad as the men too I'm afraid.

I am loathe to say this but at least the kids in the video were fighting rival gangs. In Scotland they are called NEDS.

Shame the city is being tarred as the most violent city in the developing world because of these NEDS. Glaswegian people can also be the kindest, helpful, big hearted and funniest people in the world.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 11:41 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

what a load of crock:curse:all city's in Britain are the same every city you go to has its neds yobs you name it.its like each city tries to make out they are better than this one or that and untill people stop trying to blame eachother NOTHING will be sorted out in eather city.scots could rabbit on about this place or that but we are all the same everyone could dig up crap from tv shows or news papers and put it on any website.ah this kind of crap sickens me so why put it on here and what kind of reaction are people looking for a barney:curse:get a life.all kinds of people mix on here and get on why rock the boat and start crap like this.yip Im off again:curse:said my peice so now Im out of here
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:38 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate white
what a load of crock:curse:all city's in Britain are the same every city you go to has its neds yobs you name it.its like each city tries to make out they are better than this one or that and untill people stop trying to blame eachother NOTHING will be sorted out in eather city.scots could rabbit on about this place or that but we are all the same everyone could dig up crap from tv shows or news papers and put it on any website.ah this kind of crap sickens me so why put it on here and what kind of reaction are people looking for a barney:curse:get a life.all kinds of people mix on here and get on why rock the boat and start crap like this.yip Im off again:curse:said my peice so now Im out of here
Katie why are you getting upset about this

This is Glasgow, this has been Glasgow since the invention of the knife and sword and this will be Glasgow from 2007 until we are long gone and buried, this is the way it will remain

I accept that they did pick one of the poorest neighbourhoods in Glasgow

I also accept that this does happen in most cities in the UK, but the stats are not wrong and Glasgow has been proved to be the most violent city in the western world.

I came from Pollok and this is the way I lived and breathed Pollok, gangs fighting each other day after day.

The video footage is accurate and factual and I dealt with the violent offenders on a daily basis as the violence just carried on from the streets into the jail, only in the jail they had nowhere to run, so they got chibbed or stabbed !!!!!

Eddie
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:28 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another reason why we laugh when locals say Jane and Finch is scarey.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen it, is this the film that was supposed to stitch up Glasgow's chances (up against Halifax iirc) of getting the Commonwealth games at some point?

Edit: yes it was, see http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...934424,00.html

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 7th 2007 at 2:02 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Calgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really nice

Hi,

Well, we are 'southsiders' too, and have to agree with Eddie. Unfortunately this (in some areas of Glasgow) is the way of life.

However, the majority of Glaswegians are kind, helpful and have a fantastic sense of homour and outlook on life

I am biased of course, being married to one!

Nicky
Old Aug 7th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I don't know what Kate White was getting so upset about. So - other cities are violent. Sure they are. However, what astounded me was that the UN said Glasgow was the most violent city in the developed world.

I don't the CBC made that up!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Stitch up or What. You can footage like this from any city indeed.

Glasgow get s a bad rap, but its an amzing city, with geat depth of charchter. People are quick to forget the City of Culture awards and city of architechture. People who have been there will say hopw amazing the people are
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

we just got a wedding invitation yesterday from friends in glasgow!
unfortunately, it's the same day we'll be at the Emirate show and just a few days before we're heading to ontario for our recce!!

the only time i've been to glasgow we had a great time, didn't have a problem with the locals, in fact sitting in the pub they just sat down next to us and started chatting like old friends!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:50 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Yes, I don't know what Kate White was getting so upset about. So - other cities are violent. Sure they are. However, what astounded me was that the UN said Glasgow was the most violent city in the developed world.

I don't the CBC made that up!
I must admit that the film itself left a bad taste in my mouth and my hackles raised though I don't doubt that it painted a fairly accurate picture (though unbalanced) of gang violence in Glasgow.

Possibly it was the attitude of the presenter that annoyed me or maybe I just felt a touch over protective of my home city?

I'm sure you'd be a wee bit upset if they said Regina was a <negative comment here>?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Possibly it was the attitude of the presenter that annoyed me or maybe I just felt a touch over protective of my home city?
The attitude of the presenter. I think Glasgow's a violent dump but the combination of false naivety and sanctimony exhibited by CBC presenters makes me wanna nut 'em.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

If you think Glasgows a violent dump your have obvioulsy not been there or spent much time or are just bitter.

I am sure if a scottish reporter made a report about Biker Gangs in Canada it would be an extremley outrageous story.

Sensationalism is what the media breeds in the western world and we are all responsible for buying into it
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budda
If you think Glasgows a violent dump your have obvioulsy not been there or spent much time or are just bitter.
I'm not bitter at all. I grew up thinking Glasgow was a violent dump to be avoided if at all possible. I've been there a couple of times in the past five years for work and haven't seen anything to change my mind. That said, I've been to worse places, Buffalo, East Saint Louis, New Orleans since the flood. I've never been to Liverpool so I don't have a basis for comparison within the UK.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

a1anm is on a distinguished road

I think the guy in the video hit the nail on the head when he said that if you go to Glasgow looking for trouble you'll find it, otherwise the majority of people are extremely friendly.

I lived in Glasgow for 4 years and never experienced one bit of trouble.

On the other hand I spent one year in Vancouver and was attacked and almost mugged. I've lived in Belfast for 2 years and i've had stones and verbal abuse thrown at me.

Like people have said there is violence in all large cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.