Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

Wikiposts

I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:18 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I was floored that this is Glasgow!!

Glasgow has always had the reputation of a violent city, and although it is cleaner and safer than years ago, it is still a rough place to go if you don't know your way around.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budda
Stitch up or What. You can footage like this from any city indeed.

Glasgow get s a bad rap, but its an amzing city, with geat depth of charchter. People are quick to forget the City of Culture awards and city of architechture. People who have been there will say hopw amazing the people are
and you can get chips with pakora and curry sauce! - glaswegian poutine?
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:39 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The attitude of the presenter. I think Glasgow's a violent dump but the combination of false naivety and sanctimony exhibited by CBC presenters makes me wanna nut 'em.
Hit the nail on the head there db.

It's the wide-eyed look of false horror and condescending drivel that makes me want to 'chib' the bitch!

Damn - there goes the Glaswegian predisposition for violence again.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

soon to be a sheila will become famous soon enough

Listen folks i live just outside glasgow and the violence there is no worse than you would find in any city throughout the world. Media is there to hype and sensationlise and to promote good viewing figures. Lets face it nice stories dont sell newspapers or get you to watch tv programmes and as the old saying goes "trouble is where YOU FIND IT"
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Spot on Alan. I lived in Glasgow for 23 years and never came across trouble. I was in Vancouver for 4 months and had a Knife pulled on me. It doesn’t taint my view of that particular city. It happens. I still love both places
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't think it is any worse than any city in the UK. I've lived in Liverpool and although it is a great place, with great people it also has this violent side.

Gangs of youths armed with guns and knives out to cause trouble. I used to work at the childrens hospital and someone tried to car jack me one night after leaving work.

It's just inner city UK, I can't believe anyone was surprised
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
I wouldn't think it is any worse than any city in the UK. I've lived in Liverpool and although it is a great place, with great people it also has this violent side.

Gangs of youths armed with guns and knives out to cause trouble. I used to work at the childrens hospital and someone tried to car jack me one night after leaving work.

It's just inner city UK, I can't believe anyone was surprised
It is because of the sectarian violence and high level of knife crime, particularly related to football.

It just doesn't make the English news.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Sectarian Violence is not that pertenant except on match days.

Its territorial as they say on the film, but again, every city has that. London is far worse. When kids in Glasgow get stabbed it violent sure, but the kids in London are using Guns, which means Violence means murder.

The culture in the UK is bad in general and I am not defending that. Its just for glasgow to be singled out is way off. Its not that bad
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:33 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

For the ninth year in a row, Saskatchewan recorded the highest crime rate of all the provinces, with 13,711 crimes per 100,000 people.

Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:03 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah there are cities with lots of crime and Glasgow is one of them, of course if you go and look for it you'll find trouble anywhere but some places trouble will come knocking on your door.

I know that evryones experiences are different but my sister lives in Glasgow and she loves it even though she was beaten up by her neighbour, she just passed her in the stair well and the girl decided to beat her up on the spot.

Luckily enough after her several raging/screaming/fighting arguments towards her bofriend she was moved on by the council to another area to cause trouble there.

I still wouldn't want to move there, but thats my own personal opinion.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:54 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=dbd33;5163492]I'm not bitter at all. I grew up thinking Glasgow was a violent dump to be avoided if at all possible

I grew up in a Ayr around 35 miles from Glasgow but never thought that it was a violent dump so I am curious to why you grew up thinking that?

Our office is there and I am there every day, a lot of my clients are there. Real salt of the earth people, honest as the days is long, and although there is parts to stay away from, there are many class areas.

I think what you have said is a bit harsh to be honest.

Regards
Danny
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:05 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mclauchlan35;5165649]
Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm not bitter at all. I grew up thinking Glasgow was a violent dump to be avoided if at all possible

I grew up in a Ayr around 35 miles from Glasgow but never thought that it was a violent dump so I am curious to why you grew up thinking that?

Our office is there and I am there every day, a lot of my clients are there. Real salt of the earth people, honest as the days is long, and although there is parts to stay away from, there are many class areas.

I think what you have said is a bit harsh to be honest.

Regards
Danny
My dad trained in Glasgow as a doctor just after WW2 .... it had that reputation then, and as far as I am aware it has always had it! I can't comment personally on why it does. I have never been there nor examined the crime stats.

btw .... with the recent spurt of violent crime in Calgary these last couple of weeks, Calgary will be getting that reputation! My bro (in the police force currently in Turks and Caicos) told me months ago that Calgary was getting a reputation for its violent crimes!!!! and that is from the international police view!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:05 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill_andy_grew
For the ninth year in a row, Saskatchewan recorded the highest crime rate of all the provinces, with 13,711 crimes per 100,000 people.

Only because of the high capture rate of dumb ass SK criminals. If you try and leg it in SK after commiting a crime, the police can watch you running away for two days without leaving ever leaving their cruiser. SK landscape brings new meaning to the phrase "you can run but you can't hide".
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:36 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

my point is that regina as problems as well as any other of the world.
I love glasgow and have met some really nice people there
just like canada

If people listend to the media about a place then they wouldnt go anywhere, kate has a good point and as she is from there i can see why she was upset (plus other reasons)
I am afraid that if someone came on here slagging my area off then i would defend it just like kate has done
NOW lets see what is special about regina
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:21 pm
Over here

virion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant future

I grew up in Glasgow then moved to London, Hackney's "Murder Mile" to be precise. I have to say that I felt far more threatened in Glasgow than I ever did in East London. In London, you find trouble but in Glasgow it finds you. In London it seemed that there were far few people getting a shoeing from people they didn't know for no reason. Yes there are guns in London, but if you are not in a gang or selling drugs you will have little problems from them.
As for secterian violence, a relative of mine was murdered whilst he and I were still at school. It is a real thing which still exists.
Since I have returned I have found little has changed, a friend got bottled in a pub when he came up to visit me, local mates have been attacked on the street by drunken punters on the Southside swinging their belts.
That said, Glasgow people are exeptionally friendly, the arts and music scene are great but it isn't enough to balance out the violonce, extreme drunkeness, sectariansism and the fact that it is a genrally a bit of a dump. I can't wait to leave this place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.