Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I don't think I'm meant to be here

I don't think I'm meant to be here

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I don't think I'm meant to be here

The curse of NS has struck again!
driving along, minding my own business, only to get rear ended by a little old granny. Wouldn't mind, but it wasn't even snowing at the time.
At least it gave me a great opportunity to research for the forum, A&E in Halifax and the Police dept.
It's weird really as OH and I have both been driving for 30 odd years and never had accidents, yet both have had in the last 6 months here in NS.
Unlike OH who totally wrote off his vehicle, I ended up worse than the SUV.
As residents of Halifax will know, the Bi-Hi is busy all day long, and I am always careful when driving along it. Never imagined I'd get hit up the bum by a little old granny though
Arriving at A&E it was fairly reassuring to find the first person you come into contact with, the receptionist, is the same all over the world - rude and unhelpful. Immediately puts you at ease.
Within 20 mins I was seen by a paramedic/triage nurse - sort of George Clooney scruffy - who put my arm in temporary splint and was thoughtful enough to ease off my wedding ring, so they wouldn't have to cut it off later as my fingers were already like blown up sausages. He expressed some surprise that he couldn't initially find my blood pressure and when he did, that it was 160/110 - I told him not to worry, it was probably to do with the fact I'd just been hit up the backside when I wasn't expecting it. They just don't understand sarcasm here do they!!!
Sent back to waiting room, where we sat for another 3 hours. Got really excited when my name was called and I was taken into a cubicle. Got even better when a nurse came to see me and she had an English accent - until she found out I wasn't the person she was looking for, and walked out without saying another word. After 2 other attempts of trying to convince me I was someone I wasn't, she finally got my name right and put a wrist bracelet on and told me to go back into the waiting room. I asked her how much longer I'd have to wait. Trying to get some playful banter going, I even suggested I'd go home and come back the next day, but was told I'd probably have to wait another 2-3 hours, and if I did go home, would have to start from scratch next day. I just know she isn't a member of BE as she had absolutely no sense of humour at all, and just wanted to get on with her job of walking into cublicles asking for the wrong person.
10 mins later I was called through and saw a young intern. This little angel was brilliant, and I just hope her parent's know how good she is, and are proud of her. I didn't let on I'm a registered nurse in UK, find it can sometimes intimidate people I just answered her questions as best I could. Her history taking was really impressive, and I wanted to hug her when she apologised for me having to sit in the waiting area for so long without analgesia being given etc. She explained so clearly what she was doing, it was easy to forget she was still training. I heard her give a run down of my injuries to her supervisor, who then also came to examine me. She was also excellent, both in her bedside manner and efficiency. Within minutes I was sent for x-rays, again great dept. and staff, before being taken back to see the doctor. She confirmed the break in my arm as well as damage to my neck, applied the plaster cast and made sure follow ups were arranged.
Was told I should report accident to the Police, although subsequently found out that if damage to vehicle is under $1000, this is not necessary. Biggest problem for me had been that the granny didn't want to give me her insurance details. Thankfully I had managed to write down her plate number. Her reasoning was that her vehicle was more damaged than mine, and she caused the accident. Again, since found out, this is not true, and by law here she had to give me the details.
I was finally fit enough to go to Police station in Bedford on Wednesday, and report the accident. What a great place - even got offered coffee from Tim's, and an apology that they didn't have rum to put in it, as it sounded as if I needed some
Was taken through the in's and out's of what to do if you have a car accident - too long to include here, but people can pm me if they want details for future reference - and given the warmest welcome. They even said they'd send a squad car round to pick up granny if I wanted them to Was tempted, especially if they'd let me sit in front and go with them, but OH thought I was getting a bit carried away, and declined the offer. He's beginning to think knock to the head was more serious than originally thought
One important point we did learn though is that you don't have to go in person to report accident, that you can phone. Also that local police station is only open during office hours - 9am to 4.30 pm.
Yesterday we had call from our insurance company - OH found himself talking to same lady who had dealt with his accident - think we are now on her Christmas card list She was incredibly polite, suggested we sue granny and not to worry about a thing.
So, what have I learnt this week
Worst part is everyone telling me how lucky I am
I do know what they mean, and it could have been worse, but next person to do so will probably end up in A&E with plaster cast mark embedded in their skull. Have also decided that Equinox SUV is probably not the best vehicle for us to drive in NS and are looking for replacement. A Humvee springs to mind but with recent fuel hikes (petrol is now $1.17 in Halifax) it might just be better to stay inside or not visit OH here again,
We are off to Bayers Lake now for lunch - OH thought it might do me good to get dressed - his subtle way of suggesting I shower and wash my hair, although I think I'm starting to get the hang of this victim thing and could drag it out a bit longer if I try.
The fact it snowed last night and they haven't cleared the roads, that hundreds of of maniac's will be descending on Bayer's Lake doesn't seem to phase him at all. Me, I'm dreaming of getting back to France in one piece, walking unharmed through fields of golden daffodils, and avoiding mad Canadian drivers on pilgrimages to the Normandy beaches
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:32 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I don't think I'm meant to be here

I'd say thanks for an entertaining read but I don't want to sound as if I'm belittling the incident.

Glad that your okay.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger!
What an awful experience to go through.
You have my sympathies and get well soon wishes.

Rob
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Very amusing Val, in a 'sorry, I shouldn't laugh' kind of way. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and I think your new Hummer should be luminous pink
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:54 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

A Pink Hummer with silver sparkles

Hope you recover soon - you certainly sound cheerful!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:49 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in A&E.........though they seem to all call it Emerge.......wierdos......for 3 hours myself a week ago (same one) and also had the same kind of nurse experience. I had an xray of the foot I thought might be broken and then they stuck me in a wheelchair in a curtained cubicle. My waiting OH, after an hour, thought they must have found a serious break and be preping me for theatre! But no. No Dr's to review the film. So I sent him for Tims (Timbits)......there are apparently 4 in the hospital, because I thought if I am going to theatre for some hiddeously complex break, then I want to eat now and not have to wait for 12 hours to get on the emergency surgery list, starving! Anyway, I had just finished my thermonuclear hot chocolate and the last yummy timbit, had pushed the rubbish over to the other side of the bed, so it looked like OH had eaten them not me. I was bored and started to tootle round the bed in the wheelchair, finding that I wasnt half bad with the steering...............and then with a flurry of curtains, there was the long awaited Dr. Didnt I look like a total waste of time!

Anyway, sue the pants off that naughty granny, we have met some very canny old ladies here - they arent as sweet as they look, no they are not! I hope you had a good lunch and continue to milk this whole situation for all its worth! I am trying to play the victim over a week later, with only a bad sprain!

Send OH out for some hot chocolate and some timbits today, you know you want to!

Get better gently and beware of old ladies!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 3:58 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the entertaining post, isn't it funny how we find humour in someone elses mishap

I hope you get better soon, just think it could have been worse............................. (ducks for cover)
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
... and avoiding mad Canadian drivers on pilgrimages to the Normandy beaches
You can run but you can't hide.

Hope you're back soon val. Best.

Novo.