Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

I am.......?Canadian?

I am.......?Canadian?

Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

JimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really nice
Default I am.......?Canadian?

I'm going to reveal my dirty little secret.....I think I am becoming....(gasp)..Canadian .

Recently I've been spending an embarrassing amount of time on You Tube, watching a bit of British TV (Vicar of Dibley, Never Mind the Buzzcocks (where's Mark Lamar?) and Mock the Week, etc.

I don't know why exactly I was surprised, but I have completely lost touch with "popular culture" in the UK.

For example:
- asbos and chavs - (had to Wiki both these - as not a clue!)
- Noel Edmonds has made a showbiz comeback - never saw that one coming
- I can happily only imagine the horror that was/is Celebrity Love Island
- There are a whole new bucket load of D-list "celebrities" I've never heard of plus I have no clue about what's going on in British politics so a lot of jokes went right over my head

Conversations with folks back home have obviously not been focused on the important topics.

So, as I now know more about Nelly Furtado than the Arctic Monkeys and care that the Vancouver Olympics is over-budget way more than the London Olympics are concreting over Stratford's allotments - does this mean I'm more Canadian than British?

I've decided it must do, so am off to buy a Canuck's jersey and some shares in Timmy's - eh. (Well this being Vancouver, maybe shares in Starbucks are more appropriate.)

Nic
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:49 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of
Default Re: I am.......?Canadian?

I thought Noel edmonds was dead......

Bought the new Arctic Monkeys album in Wal-Mart yesterday - very good
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:51 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandNic
I'm going to reveal my dirty little secret.....I think I am becoming....(gasp)..Canadian .

Recently I've been spending an embarrassing amount of time on You Tube, watching a bit of British TV (Vicar of Dibley, Never Mind the Buzzcocks (where's Mark Lamar?) and Mock the Week, etc.

I don't know why exactly I was surprised, but I have completely lost touch with "popular culture" in the UK.

For example:
- asbos and chavs - (had to Wiki both these - as not a clue!)
- Noel Edmonds has made a showbiz comeback - never saw that one coming
- I can happily only imagine the horror that was/is Celebrity Love Island
- There are a whole new bucket load of D-list "celebrities" I've never heard of plus I have no clue about what's going on in British politics so a lot of jokes went right over my head

Conversations with folks back home have obviously not been focused on the important topics.

So, as I now know more about Nelly Furtado than the Arctic Monkeys and care that the Vancouver Olympics is over-budget way more than the London Olympics are concreting over Stratford's allotments - does this mean I'm more Canadian than British?

I've decided it must do, so am off to buy a Canuck's jersey and some shares in Timmy's - eh. (Well this being Vancouver, maybe shares in Starbucks are more appropriate.)

Nic
I know exactly where you are coming from, one difference though, I've not actually taken much notice of canadian politics or pop culture either so I am living very happily, abeit isolated, on planet Louise!!!! Have definitely decided to start reading the newspapers and get a grip on the adult world!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise033
I know exactly where you are coming from, one difference though, I've not actually taken much notice of canadian politics or pop culture either so I am living very happily, abeit isolated, on planet Louise!!!! Have definitely decided to start reading the newspapers and get a grip on the adult world!:thumbup:
..........I need to get a grip on the adult world

As for becoming more Canadian. I drove me gas guzzling Jeep less than half a mile down the road just to visit a friend. Something I swore I would never do.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I dunno if that makes you Canadian - the bit about driving the jeep down the road I mean. Where my sister lives in Kent, you can see the school from the end of the driveway, but her neighbours drove the kids to the school! I admit the driveway is a long one and you can't see the houses from the street, but still - it's only a driveway. So I guess some Brits have the same problem!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

JimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really nice

I was just talking with my mum on the phone about this and when I told her I hadn't known what Chav meant she said "Oh - so you didn't get the joke present I sent you for Christmas then?"

Apparently she had sent me a fake Burberry purse as a joke present because this is what all stylish Chavettes are carrying nowdays. I hadn't got a clue and just thought she'd sent me a new purse - See I am Canadian after all - I didn't get an "English" joke!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:46 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandNic
I'm going to reveal my dirty little secret.....I think I am becoming....(gasp)..Canadian
Also known as going native.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Also known as going native.
Whenever I read that I immediately think of being topless in a grass skirt - bit too chilly for that sort of behaviour yet methinks - maybe in a couple of months.......
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCrocker

Nah, he turned up at the pub near where I work a few months back Peeps were most surprised to see him round here. I thought he would be more discerning than coming to a tatty old seaside town, but there you go!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:10 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Nah, he turned up at the pub near where I work a few months back Peeps were most surprised to see him round here. I thought he would be more discerning than coming to a tatty old seaside town, but there you go!
Has he still got the facial hair thing going on?
Old May 1st 2007, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 1st 2007, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

The Shatner version is funnier

Old May 2nd 2007, 6:32 am
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road

In an effort to become a better Canadian (with limits) I was learning O Canada with my youngest aged 6. I may have spoilt it a bit at the end by laughing when she sang "O Canada, we stand on guard for free"!

bad.andy
Old May 2nd 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

shoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really niceshoequeen is just really nice

Mmmmmm ..... Timmys ......
Old May 6th 2007, 3:54 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCrocker

Bought the new Arctic Monkeys album in Wal-Mart yesterday - very good
Actic Monkeys and good album in the same sentence??? Nooooooooo!!!! I bet you look good on the dancefloor?? Only if you're not singing mate!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.