Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

HSBC International bank account

Wikiposts

HSBC International bank account

Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC International bank account

Originally Posted by Dashie
Yep. A lot have arrows painted around them too though. If drivers in Malta are too crap to drive around them or pay attention to the road markings, that's hardly the roundabout's fault. A bit like how competitive some drivers are at all way stops here, not the stop sign's fault, and how if you're basically stopping someone driving where they want to, they just won't look in your direction lest they have to acknowledge your existence and wait for you, they just pull out, hardly anyone else's fault there either.
Exactly... It isn't the roundabouts fault at all, its the crap drivers in Malta. But my point is the roundabouts shouldn't be painted, for safety reasons... And the four way stops? I'd suggest replacing them with roundabouts tbh. Proper ones that aren't painted. There are a few i've seen and they work well.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Roundabouts in North America are a bit artificial because of the road size. In Europe/Britain when small roads lead into a roundabout people know what to do whether it's painted or not. You just need the sign informing you that it's a roundabout.
Not in Malta they don't know, they don't give a shit if there is a sign, if its a painted one they just go through ... But I see your point.

Actually, they know what to do, but they just choose to go through because they are aggressive drivers, most likely in a rush, and probably speeding too.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
They still make me laugh

I mean how do you expect people to actually use it properly when there isn't any barrier forcing you to go round? In Malta they are like a death trap...
Ummm... people pay attention to the road and drive around them. People (for the most part) follow the rules of the road. In the same way that people obey stop signs, no barrier there. Yield signs, traffic lights... Many situations that require actions without barriers...

I would suggest that you read a Highway Code book before you go to England if you ever intend to drive there, and same for whatever the Maltese equivalent is. Probably worth taking a few lessons before you set out on your own too, if things like that are so alien and you're not sure how to handle them. Or take the bus
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ummm... people pay attention to the road and drive around them. People (for the most part) follow the rules of the road. In the same way that people obey stop signs, no barrier there. Yield signs, traffic lights... Many situations that require actions without barriers...

I would suggest that you read a Highway Code book before you go to England if you ever intend to drive there, and same for whatever the Maltese equivalent is. Probably worth taking a few lessons before you set out on your own too, if things like that are so alien and you're not sure how to handle them. Or take the bus

Maybe in england they pay attention , but not in Gozo. At least not when i'm there... Christ have you made your point yet? No need to have a go because painted roundabouts are funny to me.

For a stop sign, traffic lights etc you can see the sign/lights infront of you. Painted roundabout on the floor you can't see unless you are looking down, which you aren't supposed to do whilst driving.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe in england they pay attention , but not in Gozo. At least not when i'm there... Christ have you made your point yet? No need to have a go because painted roundabouts are funny to me.

For a stop sign, traffic lights etc you can see the sign/lights infront of you. Painted roundabout on the floor you can't see unless you are looking down, which you aren't supposed to do whilst driving.
Ouch! No need for rudeness. I was trying to address points as you made them and offer advice, I don't think I've specifically said anything about your sense of humour regarding roundabouts. I would also advise people new to Canada to take a few lessons and read the book if they were unsure about anything... Besides, if I was 'having a go', you would know about it.

And yes, you are supposed to be aware of what's on the road surface as well as around you when driving. See, addressing another point you made there
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch! No need for rudeness. I was trying to address points as you made them and offer advice, I don't think I've specifically said anything about your sense of humour regarding roundabouts. I would also advise people new to Canada to take a few lessons and read the book if they were unsure about anything... Besides, if I was 'having a go', you would know about it.

And yes, you are supposed to be aware of what's on the road surface as well as around you when driving. See, addressing another point you made there
Also, the traffic sign for "roundabout", painted or otherwise is the same in Malta as in the UK; a red-bordered equilateral triangle with a white ground contaiing clockwise rotating arrows forming a black circle.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No... But your original post was "Whats the problem with roundabouts?" implying I had a personal issue with them. I don't. I just find the painted ones funny is all... Yes you are supposed to be aware of the road surface but just having a painted thing on the floor with no sign indicating a roundabout (as it is in Malta; I don't know how it is in the UK) is a bit rich... And no most Maltese drivers do not know how to use them.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Also, the traffic sign for "roundabout", painted or otherwise is the same in Malta as in the UK; a red-bordered equilateral triangle with a white ground contaiing clockwise rotating arrows forming a black circle.
Yup I knew that one
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We have them like this http://www.chandigarhtrafficpolice.o...ound_about.gif as well as like this http://www.yell.com/static/image/ffa...h:412/m:FitPad

The latter has a yield sign above the blue roundabout sign
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

No... But your original post was "Whats the problem with roundabouts?" implying I had a personal issue with them. I don't. I just find the painted ones funny is all... Yes you are supposed to be aware of the road surface but just having a painted thing on the floor with no sign indicating a roundabout (as it is in Malta; I don't know how it is in the UK) is a bit rich... And no most Maltese drivers do not know how to use them.
Nope, if I had been implying that, I would have asked 'what's your problem with roundabouts I was more confused as to what was amusing about them.

Lots of things are painted on the roads, or even randomly appearing on the road with and without accompanying signs. Part of driving is the requirement to notice them in order to be safe. What if there was a child lying in the road (or dog, cat, whatever you care about most), having previously been hit. It's not likely to be signposted, might be fairly well camouflaged or it could be dark, but if you ran over them again you'd probably feel pretty stupid for not noticing them before. Least likely with a child I grant you, but it can happen. Potholes are another example of things to be noticed before you drive through them. So no, I don't think it's a bit rich to ask someone to notice a painted roundabout. But then I learned to drive in the UK, and I find so many things over signposted here, in case you missed the first 6 signs, here's another one... that sort of thing... so that alters perspective too. The majority of people on here will be approaching this from a British perspective, with or without time spent in Canada, and occasionally someone will have spent some time in Malta. That will probably always be the nature of this section of the forum, being what it is.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I hope I get the p/t job I want (its shoppers drug mart lol) because I know the guy that owns it and have done volunteer work with him, and hes a friend of the family so extemely likely to give time off in July/August for trips home. Thats a start in the "live a life here" whilst also preparing/planning for "build a life over there" ...

I extremely envy your son - he's doing basically what i'd like to do. Mind if I ask how old he is?

Nice... No it isn't the worst driving ever but we've had our laughs about it when there... Roundabouts painted on the ground come to mind
I'll take this to PM I don't think there are enough travelling (or wannabee travelling) teenagers on BE to warrant continuing discussion in public

S
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope, if I had been implying that, I would have asked 'what's your problem with roundabouts I was more confused as to what was amusing about them.

Lots of things are painted on the roads, or even randomly appearing on the road with and without accompanying signs. Part of driving is the requirement to notice them in order to be safe. What if there was a child lying in the road (or dog, cat, whatever you care about most), having previously been hit. It's not likely to be signposted, might be fairly well camouflaged or it could be dark, but if you ran over them again you'd probably feel pretty stupid for not noticing them before. Least likely with a child I grant you, but it can happen. Potholes are another example of things to be noticed before you drive through them. So no, I don't think it's a bit rich to ask someone to notice a painted roundabout. But then I learned to drive in the UK, and I find so many things over signposted here, in case you missed the first 6 signs, here's another one... that sort of thing... so that alters perspective too. The majority of people on here will be approaching this from a British perspective, with or without time spent in Canada, and occasionally someone will have spent some time in Malta. That will probably always be the nature of this section of the forum, being what it is.

Well yes obviously I realise it is a British forum, with a British sense of humour and all that

I'm not debating what is and what is not safe driving practise. I agree with what you said above, mostly. I do like the fact that things are signposted because I feel it makes the road safer. I'm not saying the driver shouldn't be aware of everything around him/her, but in case they are not, the signs make the roads safer, and having a non-painted roundabout would make the roads safer too.

I'm just stating the daunting behaviour exhibited in Malta with the painted roundabouts. If it were me behind the wheel i'd drive round the roundabout properly, painted or not. But most in Malta/Gozo do not do that.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'll take this to PM I don't think there are enough travelling (or wannabee travelling) teenagers on BE to warrant continuing discussion in public

S
I don't think there are any teenagers on BE besides myself
Old Jun 8th 2014, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there are any teenagers on BE besides myself
Exactly. You just proved my point .

S
Old Jun 8th 2014, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok. Deep Breath. It's been suggested I respond publicly.

So: #2 son just checked in from somewhere West of Thunder bay.

Looks like he'll break his own QC to BC record

Gozo: I support my children's travels 100%. That does not mean I agree 100% with their decisions !

To answer your questions:

- hitchhiking: it's the 5th time he's crossing Canada "sur le pouce"; his brother has done it a couple of times too. Both have hitched N. England to S. France as well. So have I, once upon a time

- The Boy, & his friends, camp out wherever they find work out West. Usually, accommodation is provided with job. This year, he's crew boss, & as such gets a guaranteed bed !!

- He's 21 next week.

- He's eligible for uni entry; but not interested to do that for the moment.

- when I was 21, I was travelling too. It's a Carpe Diem sort of thing . Many parents will frown upon my encouragement of such actions !

I survived, & turned into a productive member of conventional society.

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.