Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

HSBC International bank account

Wikiposts

HSBC International bank account

Old Jun 7th 2014, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC International bank account

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, a silly idea to begin with. Why not take a good bike instead.
Quite. Good luck with that
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Definitely not. I've not come across one without one to be honest.

Gozit, you seem to like making things complicated for yourself. And expensive. Lots of better small cars available in Europe. Cheaper too. Both to buy, but also to insure and run. You'd want to make sure of the availability of parts for any vehicle you ship too. If they have to import something for a repair it could be costly and take a long time.
Complication is adventure, adventure is fun Need to have stories to tell the children right?

No, the idea was ; I am getting a car for uni anyways. Which will happen in Canada. (not my choice. I don't have an option to go elsewhere) I end uni, the car is only 3-4 years old. If shipping the car costs in and around $2000 maybe less, it won't be an issue to drive it even on the "wrong" side for a few months as I find a job and most importantly build credit. Because if I move without a car, and try and buy one when there, unless paying cash, I won't have credit, which means no car loan, which means no car. And in Malta you can't do "no car." There isn't any sophisticated public transport, and even if there was, i'd still want a car from the instant I move. Be it LHD or RHD.

My uncle's had a 1991 mustang down there for, well, since 1992, and its somehow still running, (not that i'd keep a car that long though) he brought it from here.

But, like I said, it would be temporary until I get enough credit to get a car down there. Or until something fails and I can't fix it because the parts aren't available. Probably the latter if I can wrap my head around LHD.
Yes, a silly idea to begin with. Why not take a good bike instead.
And bike on Maltese roads? Might as well draft up a will because if you bike on Maltese roads there is a very high chance of being obliterated.

I have a friend on facebook from there and every damn day hes posting something about "watch out for the bikes on the road" "dont run us over" ..... When he isn't doing that he's inviting me to play Candy Crush Saga, which makes me very angry
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

My parents visit Malta most years at least once. They love the buses there. Curious, why do you need a car for uni, and why a brand new one? And if you do, why not sell it and use that money? Sorry, but none of this really seems realistic for a student, or for moving to Malta. You'd likely have to wait several weeks for it to show up too - what would you do in that time?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Complication is adventure, adventure is fun Need to have stories to tell the children right?

No, the idea was ; I am getting a car for uni anyways. Which will happen in Canada. (not my choice. I don't have an option to go elsewhere) I end uni, the car is only 3-4 years old. If shipping the car costs in and around $2000 maybe less, it won't be an issue to drive it even on the "wrong" side for a few months as I find a job and most importantly build credit. Because if I move without a car, and try and buy one when there, unless paying cash, I won't have credit, which means no car loan, which means no car. And in Malta you can't do "no car." There isn't any sophisticated public transport, and even if there was, i'd still want a car from the instant I move. Be it LHD or RHD.

My uncle's had a 1991 mustang down there for, well, since 1992, and its somehow still running, (not that i'd keep a car that long though) he brought it from here.

But, like I said, it would be temporary until I get enough credit to get a car down there. Or until something fails and I can't fix it because the parts aren't available. Probably the latter if I can wrap my head around LHD.

And bike on Maltese roads? Might as well draft up a will because if you bike on Maltese roads there is a very high chance of being obliterated.

I have a friend on facebook from there and every damn day hes posting something about "watch out for the bikes on the road" "dont run us over" ..... When he isn't doing that he's inviting me to play Candy Crush Saga, which makes me very angry
<shakes head>

Perhaps one day you'll learn to prioritize.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

My parents visit Malta most years at least once. They love the buses there. Curious, why do you need a car for uni, and why a brand new one? And if you do, why not sell it and use that money? Sorry, but none of this really seems realistic for a student, or for moving to Malta. You'd likely have to wait several weeks for it to show up too - what would you do in that time?
Have they been on them since the government took over from arriva? (1 Jan 2014) (now there have been buses 2-3 hours late unacceptable)

And I need a car for uni because i'll stay living at home and drive back and forth. Cheaper than residence and you get more than a room the size of my closet...... Plus peace and quiet. And room for your own things. Non-communal space. Need I go on? I'm not the social butterfly type, so quiet and my own things+space is good

Now, I have thought of selling the car and using the money from that, but it all depends on how much I can sell it for. And if I buy an entry level car here, sell it 4 years later, I won't have enough to buy an entry level car when I get there. I looked round, the cheapest of the cheap, barebones, costs €10,000 .

And with regards to waiting for the vehicle to ship - there will obviously be a buffer between me finishing uni and emigrating. I'm not going to leave the day after I graduate, crikey.

I will need to get my shit together, sell anything I don't need, convert $ to €, and basically reduce my belongings down to two luggages. During which time I can send the car down and have it ready for when I get there. (If I choose to bring the canadian car down. If not the buffer period will be used to sell the car for a decent price)

I'm not sure how any of this is "unrealistic" - lots of uni students have a car, and lots of people bring LHD cars to RHD countries. It may not be the most elegant setup with everything on the wrong side, but i'm not an elegant person so thats OK

My gripe is why Malta being so small doesn't choose to drive on the right so people can bring cheap cars from Canada, US, Italy, etc.

As it stands all the cars are imported from the UK or Japan and you have to wait 4-5 weeks for them to get there after you buy them as well. You can't just "drive one off the lot" like you can here in Canada.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
<shakes head>

Perhaps one day you'll learn to prioritize.
I am...

1) Get p/t job. -Working on it
2) Have over 75% average in school to get into uni program i want-have it
3) Save money. -See 1
4) Go to uni
5) Go home.

My gripe is the fact that when I move over, I won't have credit so I can't get a loan to buy a car. I will need one as when I first move over i'll stay with my family on Gozo, needing to commute via ferry to Malta. No car isn't an option. So if I convieniently already have one from here, I can ship it and use it temporarily whilst waiting for credit to build up so I can buy a car I want down there thats on the correct side.

You lot didn't just up and go when you decided to move abroad, you had to plan in advance and do / things before you left. I'm planning in advance and getting ducks in a row, one by one. I would be unsure of someone who said planning isn't a good idea.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am...

1) Get p/t job. -Working on it
2) Have over 75% average in school to get into uni program i want-have it
3) Save money. -See 1
4) Go to uni
5) Go home.

My gripe is the fact that when I move over, I won't have credit so I can't get a loan to buy a car. I will need one as when I first move over i'll stay with my family on Gozo, needing to commute via ferry to Malta. No car isn't an option. So if I convieniently already have one from here, I can ship it and use it temporarily whilst waiting for credit to build up so I can buy a car I want down there thats on the correct side.

You lot didn't just up and go when you decided to move abroad, you had to plan in advance and do / things before you left. I'm planning in advance and getting ducks in a row, one by one. I would be unsure of someone who said planning isn't a good idea.
What about getting laid?
Old Jun 7th 2014, 5:07 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:43 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

To pick up on Novo's point, why not give this going back to Gozo thing a pause and focus more on the now. At your age, it's very easy to travel and emigrate, all you really need is a bit of money in the bank (and many young people don't even need that). So many things may happen to you by the time you graduate from university and obsessing about how you will emigrate has the effect of not keeping you in the "now". The fact is you are already in a great country with the opportunity to gain great experiences at a very impressionable time of life. You should soak it all up and keep all your options open. Also don't take the griping on here about Canada being second rate seriously, most of it is just British humour and the general tendency towards moaning. My two cents.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, acksherly, I did, more than once, when I was a lot younger, but still older than you are

Planning is good. I do think however, that you may be putting the cart before the horse, & over complicating things, especially re cars...

I'm still enjoying your enthusiasm !

S
Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What about getting laid?

To pick up on Novo's point, why not give this going back to Gozo thing a pause and focus more on the now. At your age, it's very easy to travel and emigrate, all you really need is a bit of money in the bank (and many young people don't even need that). So many things may happen to you by the time you graduate from university and obsessing about how you will emigrate has the effect of not keeping you in the "now". The fact is you are already in a great country with the opportunity to gain great experiences at a very impressionable time of life. You should soak it all up and keep all your options open. Also don't take the griping on here about Canada being second rate seriously, most of it is just British humour and the general tendency towards moaning. My two cents.
I agree about the griping, if the people who gripe are being actually serious they would go back to the UK...

Though this might not apply to everyone, planning out scenarios and getting ducks in a row in my head keeps me positive... My mum was talking with a friend who works in the field I want to go in to and he told me that if I go and get a certain type of degree (of which i'm interested in) , I would most likely be able to get a job with his company (which is headquartered in Munich I believe) working in Europe and being able to live in Malta at the same time. That thought has kept me positive as before I didn't know what I would do... I want to live in Malta but can't realistically live on 20,000 euros a year for a very long time. And thats not even minimum wage. Most people down there earn in and around 15,000 euros per year. Not good.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Erm, acksherly, I did, more than once, when I was a lot younger, but still older than you are

Planning is good. I do think however, that you may be putting the cart before the horse, & over complicating things, especially re cars...

S
Thanks
The car just came up in conversation and obviously it isn't set in stone lol. I just thought i'd post it in here for conversation... (OK yes and a bit for my planning rampage too )
Old Jun 8th 2014, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

S
We pretty much 'upped and moved' when we came here. First suggestion of moving in late April, stepping off plane beginning of August. We had two young kids, owned our house in the UK, and had two cars there too (all of which we sold before we came), and had no family here to help out. You really don't need to plan a move for a 22 year old single guy for 7 years, I would have thought 7 days would pretty much cover it. But, like Shirtback, I also enjoy your enthusiasm, and its good to have dreams.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We pretty much 'upped and moved' when we came here. First suggestion of moving in late April, stepping off plane beginning of August. We had two young kids, owned our house in the UK, and had two cars there too (all of which we sold before we came), and had no family here to help out. You really don't need to plan a move for a 22 year old single guy for 7 years, I would have thought 7 days would pretty much cover it. But, like Shirtback, I also enjoy your enthusiasm, and its good to have dreams.

But alot of you probably had more seed money to put in than I. If you needed to replace those two cars as soon as you got here, you had seed money to put into that if you couldn't get a loan.

Anyways like I said the planning helps me stay positive. I've tried the whole "don't think about it, just think about 'now' " but that doesn't work for me. I tried it because I was tired of people telling me to do just that, and I got into a huge bout of depression that lasted all of last august. So yeah it doesn't work.

A good chunk of the people who post in the MBTTUK section are badly homesick and are planning to go home immediately. I don't have that option so I plan and I dream and that keeps me at least partly satisfied.

I actually don't talk about moving all the time to people face-to-face, but thats because I talk about it on BE ; you guys get to deal with me

Last edited by Gozit; Jun 8th 2014 at 3:08 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 8th 2014, 5:04 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

But alot of you probably had more seed money to put in than I. If you needed to replace those two cars as soon as you got here, you had seed money to put into that if you couldn't get a loan.

Anyways like I said the planning helps me stay positive. I've tried the whole "don't think about it, just think about 'now' " but that doesn't work for me. I tried it because I was tired of people telling me to do just that, and I got into a huge bout of depression that lasted all of last august. So yeah it doesn't work.

A good chunk of the people who post in the MBTTUK section are badly homesick and are planning to go home immediately. I don't have that option so I plan and I dream and that keeps me at least partly satisfied.

I actually don't talk about moving all the time to people face-to-face, but thats because I talk about it on BE ; you guys get to deal with me

It works. Dreams are great, they motivate us, but if they are making you depressed, that is not good. It would be better to reframe your longing to be in Malta as simply that, a longing, a desire, one of many you may have. It isn't homesickness as it has not been your home yet.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

. I want to live in Malta but can't realistically live on 20,000 euros a year for a very long time.
Yikes. and Begorrah, young Jedi! .

I live, quite nicely, on less; & have done many times over the years in both Canada & Europe. Raised a family too. Methinks a bit more research might be necessary on your behalf concerning realities.

But alot of you probably had more seed money to put in than I
I'm quite likely atypical. But no. I had very little seed money most times I changed countries. When I needed a car, I bought old bangers for minimal amounts of my limited cash. My username here is a hint to my status .

I'm debating "introducing" you to my sons... Their outlook differs somewhat from yours, & they've been travelling/self-sufficient for a while ...

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.