How smart are you?

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How smart are you?

Originally Posted by iaink
That why mine has an exclamation mark....do pay attention!
Three, actually. Two are redundant. I may dock marks for that.

I have to do some work now. The courier package sent to me from London last Wednesday has finally struggled to my house. UPS are now slower than Canada Post. Amazing but true.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

18/20.

Definitive and long-lost.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
18/20.

Definitive and long-lost.
Definitive is forgivable. I'm sure a lot of people got that one wrong.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

20. I still have to think about necessary though - can't remember how to spell it but remember a latin phrase that in turn reminds me how to spell it. Strange!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
20. I still have to think about necessary though - can't remember how to spell it but remember a latin phrase that in turn reminds me how to spell it. Strange!
Never
Eat
Celery
Eat
Salad
Sandwiches
And
Remain
Young
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:37 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

20/20 too.

Multiple choice makes it too easy. Most of us can easily see the difference between the one obviously right answer and the two even-more-obviously wrong answers.

An old one, but maybe worth repeating here...

Give an example of a correct sentence in English which has five consecutive uses of the word "and".

Last edited by Jingsamichty; Jul 2nd 2008 at 3:40 pm. Reason: Just counted on my fingers and only got five?!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

19/20 for me - got my metaphors and simile's confused in the first question!

Think I'm going to send this to my future sister-in-law who drives me insane with her constant incorrect use of they're/their/there and you're/your. How hard is it really?!?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
20/20 too.

Multiple choice makes it too easy. Most of us can easily see the difference between the one obviously right answer and the two even-more-obviously wrong answers.

Give an example of a correct sentence in English which has five consecutive uses of the word "and".
In the case of spelling, I'd be inclined to agree with you. On the other hand, many people do not know the difference between a metaphor and a simile.

It's "that has", not "which has", by the way.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
19/20 for me - got my metaphors and simile's confused in the first question!
That one got me as well and I couldn't spell "questionnaire" correctly this morning.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:47 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

20/20 too.

Two guys were discussing the word-spacing on the newly painted sign of their pub, the Rose and Crown. Jack says to Jim: "the gaps between "Rose" and "and" and "and" and "Crown" are uneven."
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

20/20 too.

We did that in primary 6, I remember it clearly. Pub sign "George and Dragon" - has unequal spaces. Guy writes to complain - "Dear Sir, There are unequal spaces between "George" and "and" and "and" and Dragon."

Also got taught one for "had" at the same time - exam question, what is the pluperfect of to have? - "In the exam, Peter, where John had had "had", had had "had had", "had had" had had the teacher's approval".

The only useful thing that teacher taught me was the Kings and Queens of England rhyme, that "Willy, Willy, Harry, Steve; Harry, Dick, John, Harry Three" thing... he wasn't big on actual work

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jul 2nd 2008 at 3:55 pm. Reason: Oakvillian beat me to it ;-)
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:52 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

11/20 but it is early on the West Coast
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

The only useful thing that teacher taught me was the Kings and Queens of England rhyme,
In what possible way can it ever be at all useful to know the kings and queens of England?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but if by some bizarre turn of events I HAD to know that, I'd just look it up, lazy sod that i am.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
In what possible way can it ever be at all useful to know the kings and queens of England?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but if by some bizarre turn of events I HAD to know that, I'd just look it up, lazy sod that i am.
Pub quizzes!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:56 pm

OK. If, we're going to get all clever, here's one.

The name of a well-known area of London contains six consecutive consonants. What is the name?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.