How Rich Are You ?

Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:05 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Rich Are You ?

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
What is it they say? Money can't buy you happiness but it does buy a better class of misery.
To be fair, I'm likely a lot happier than a guy in Africa getting a few dollars a day. Money, in that context, certainly helps make me happier.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:16 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
To be fair, I'm likely a lot happier than a guy in Africa getting a few dollars a day. Money, in that context, certainly helps make me happier.
Are you?

I've spent quite a bit of time in Africa and you'd be surprised how far a few dollars in a day goes.

I bet he hasn't had to shovel much snow or battle a polar vortex this winter.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:28 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My income is down at the bottom of the scale but I know most people in the world don't enjoy the same quality of life so I count my blessings. I watch the news and see people getting blown apart all over; all my problems are small ones.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 4:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Are you?

I've spent quite a bit of time in Africa and you'd be surprised how far a few dollars in a day goes.

I bet he hasn't had to shovel much snow or battle a polar vortex this winter.
A recent email from Africa included:

"A couple of days ago, the fighting started again in earnest. Yesterday was the anniversary of the coup d'etat so this is not a surprise. Two nights ago the shooting and grenades were close enough that I had trouble sleeping."

That made even me count my blessings.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
You'd think a night auditor would be a natural for doing income tax - maybe there's a way to make a little cash on flex-time or from home for one of the tax prep companies without quitting your job and learn a back-up skill (though seasonal) at the same time. Could you be a book-keeper for a business? Any company doing good volume business needs one and they don't have to do the dracula shift.
I may have to look into that next year, I never really thought of that. Income tax prepare seems to be basically data input much like what my job entails.

I am not sure about bookkeeping, unfortunately modern day hotel night auditors do very little auditing and are mostly button pushers and data entry clerks.

After midnight I select 3 buttons on the computer and that is the audit, 50 pages of reports print, I take certain data from said reports and enter it into an excel sheet. Its evolved into a mostly automated system, and only reason the position really exists anymore is because someone still needs to be there overnight..

In a large full service hotel, its more complicated, but in the medium size hotels I work in, its all automated these days.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Jsmith1, I wonder if I may presume to offer some advice?

Going only from what you've posted here, it seems as though your work involves babysitting a building at night. Two things strike me - firstly, long term night shift is not good for mental health, and secondly, having nobody to interact with also provides no stimulation and allows you too much time to think and worry.

I know it's easy for me to say, but perhaps if you were able to find a job that was dayshift and provided interaction with other young people, you'd be in a much better position to see and be seen if and when other opportunities for advancement/promotion/better paid work come up? Any job - bar work? Cycle courier? Waiter? As long as it involves other people it's got to be better for you than sitting alone at night, pondering.

Apologies if this post comes across as patronising, but I felt I had to mention it. You seem like a bright lad who has found himself stuck in a rut and not sure how to get out.

No worries, advice is always appreciated and accepted.

I am looking for days jobs, and there is a company hiring in town with a job fair next week, hiring 70-80 people, and will end up in the top 10 largest employers, its apparently the largest mass hiring in this town in a long number of years.

Tourism, well overnight tourism is down here a good chunk, the hotels in town are really struggling, so close to Whistler yet far enough to not benefit from the ski season.

We have turned into a commuter town, those who can head to Vancouver for work do, those who can't tend to stay in their jobs for years since its so hard to find another job in town.

This town was a mostly industrial town with logging, mills and rail, but all have more or less shut down, and they haven't been able to successfully turn the town into a large tourist destination, we get tourists, but not on a level where it creates many jobs, and such, and most are just brief stops for gas and food on the way to/from Whistler.

We get random events that bring large numbers for a weekend here and there, but its not consistent.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 27th 2014 at 1:51 am.