How Rich Are You ?

Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Rich Are You ?

Originally Posted by JamesM
But back on thread as Oakvillian points out above dependents kill wealth.
Isn't seeing one's children grow and flourish enough wealth for anyone?

</orlyish claptrap mode>
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Quite the opposite, I think. The more children one has, the more one needs to earn to consider oneself richer than a given percentage of one's peers. A singleton earning 40k would be in the 90th percentile of earnings; a sole-breadwinner for a couple with two children, on the same salary, would be only in about the 45th percentile of earnings for 2-child families.
Yes of course. I should have added the irony smiley to the last comment.

But as was noted in a thread yonks ago, the production of children does tend incentivise more work and (in theory) asset accumulation!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
But as was noted in a thread yonks ago, the production of children does tend incentivise more work and (in theory) asset accumulation!
More work, yes. More income, yes. Asset accumulation, not so much.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:30 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
More work, yes. More income, yes. Asset accumulation, not so much.
Many will seek to maximise their property (whether size or area) for the benefit of the kids. It becomes less a priority for singletons and couple. Of course property is only one type if asset, but for most, it's the main one.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:36 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I find that table a bit bemusing.

We are at the top of that table. Where does all the sodding money go?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:37 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

</orlyish claptrap mode>
I'm the product of a Waldorf education
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:44 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Souvy
I find that table a bit bemusing.

We are at the top of that table. Where does all the sodding money go?
Well a good chunk goes to the government.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:47 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Well a good chunk goes to the government.
Then there is the bartender......
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:48 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

There is a difference between "rich" and being in the "top (richest) decile"

If my wife and I were earning the equivalent of 88k GBP (guessing that's in the $140k range?) between us we'd likely feel pretty well off.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:50 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Then there is the bartender......
If you have one. I can't remember the last time I went to a bar.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 2:54 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Many will seek to maximise their property (whether size or area) for the benefit of the kids. It becomes less a priority for singletons and couple. Of course property is only one type if asset, but for most, it's the main one.
For every pound that I could earn in Britain, I could make 1.85 dollars in Canada, at today's exchange rates. That means I get 85% more money for the same effort. This can be spent on assets such as a bigger house - and they're bigger in Canada to begin with!!
Old Mar 25th 2014, 3:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Many will seek to maximise their property (whether size or area) for the benefit of the kids.
That's baffling. If I spend money on having a bigger house surely I'm taking that money away from the care and maintenance of the children. I accept that there's an argument that having a happy parent is good for children but that would hold whether it's a big house or an exotic holiday that makes me happy.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 3:39 pm
Slob

That's baffling. If I spend money on having a bigger house surely I'm taking that money away from the care and maintenance of the children. I accept that there's an argument that having a happy parent is good for children but that would hold whether it's a big house or an exotic holiday that makes me happy.
Quite. We are hurling money at (my) stepson at the moment in an attempt to, hopefully, secure the purchase of a property for him. Souvette's long-term plan is to convert the place back from a triplex into a duplex, with one unit being the granny apartment.

She does take a rather long view on things. I don't look beyond tomorrow.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

lookingtogo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by orly
I live in one of the nicest countries there is
I'm relatively healthy
I have a good family and job.

I'd say that's richness.
Indeed. Plus, state of mind is everything IMHO.

I can't think of anyone in my network who don't earn a fair stash, 100 is an average, and some get bonuses of (you don't want to know). If money was everything they'd be happier, and maybe even kinder but I don't think that's the way it works.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 5:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Where the naff does it all go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.