How posh are you?

Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:17 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How posh are you?

Originally Posted by Souvy
Easily done.

I wish I hadn't chucked my Halloween edition of Private Eye. There was a cartoon in it that reduced me to tears of laughter (which is not something that happens often).

Anyone still got a copy of the PE issue? I'd love to get that cartoon.
The one with Rebekah Brooks?

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/covers.php?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:22 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The one with Rebekah Brooks?

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/covers.php?
That's the issue. There was a single-pane cartoon in it that made me laugh my nads off. I wish I'd scanned it...........
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:24 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear....

It's "beau cadre, bon gout" or "bon chic bon genre".
Why use one word when four will do! Indeed, why limit oneself to one quartet when a second quartet will explain the idea just as well.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:25 pm
me/moi

That's the issue. There was a single-pane cartoon in it that made me laugh my nads off. I wish I'd scanned it...........
Sorry, misread. Thought you were looking for the cover rather than the issue itself.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is there even a concept of "posh" outside Britain?
Originally Posted by bats
Yep. Called BCBG in France["beau cadre, bon gout" or "bon chic bon genre"] In the USA it's "preppy". In Canada i've heard it called "old money"
It's like the 'class' thing. It's not just the UK, other places have the same distinctions, just different terms.

Wrong side of the tracks is another for the US.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I hadn't chucked my Halloween edition of Private Eye. There was a cartoon in it that reduced me to tears of laughter (which is not something that happens often).

Anyone still got a copy of the PE issue? I'd love to get that cartoon.
This?

Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:34 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's like the 'class' thing. It's not just the UK, other places have the same distinctions, just different terms.

Wrong side of the tracks is another for the US.
Only that in Canada, there is no "way of speaking" to indicate class, it's more like I have a big truck, 4 wheeler and a cottage...I am class and better than the rest. Oh, and I might have gone to the U of T or McGill
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Only that in Canada, there is no "way of speaking" to indicate class, it's more like I have a big truck, 4 wheeler and a cottage...I am class and better than the rest. Oh, and I might have gone to the U of T or McGill
I've long doubted that you're in the army, for a while I've thought it improbable that you have umpteen passports, secret identities and security clearances. Now I doubt that you've even been to Canada.

On what planet is a commuter school for Asian students, such as the U of T, posh?
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:48 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've long doubted that you're in the army, for a while I've thought it improbable that you have umpteen passports, secret identities and security clearances. Now I doubt that you've even been to Canada.

On what planet is a commuter school for Asian students, such as the U of T, posh?
Wow....another bigoted / xenophobic comment by you. What is interesting is, you don't seem to realize that you might be offending people A lot of those "Asian students" are smarter than you are, and probably more worldly

You doubting that a service member is irrelevant, and trying to validate that for you is just a waste of time.

My point was in relation to Canada and the "class system" here, not the UK. What is Canada's response to Cambridge and Oxford? Perhaps at time you need to pause and read the whole post, before you nit pick and go off on your bigoted rants

An immigrant in another country, having issues with other races? Now that is just classic
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What is Canada's response to Cambridge and Oxford?
Queen's. Perhaps King's. But, as a colony, Canada sends it's richest and cleverest students abroad.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 12:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

A lot of those "Asian students" are smarter than you are, and probably more worldly
No doubt. But less posh.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:07 pm
Banned

I'll compile all your bigoted comments for a rainy day, and perhaps create a thread for it. I like how you always speak for the whole of Canada, because of course from your place in Guelph or Toronto.....you are part of the conversation in every single rich home, when it comes to sending their kids to university.

Thanks for coming out...have a nice day.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a posh way of speaking in Canada. It's a slower and more precise speech, using a better vocabulary and no slang. Users tend to talk more quietly.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:34 pm
Oscar nominated

Only that in Canada, there is no "way of speaking" to indicate class
I wouldn't go as far as saying they sound lah-di-dah but you should hear some of the more elderly, better dressed 'ladies' around here speak.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:39 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
I think there is a posh way of speaking in Canada. It's a slower and more precise speech, using a better vocabulary and no slang. Users tend to talk more quietly.
Yes.

Different posh. Not plum in mouth, just relative to others.

Much like the UK.

A lot of people think my mum sounds posh. I doubt the lady of the manor thinks so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.