Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How much to house-build or modular home?

How much to house-build or modular home?

Old Nov 16th 2020, 3:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much to house-build or modular home?

Originally Posted by Rete
If it were the States since the utilities are already there and just need to be connected, that will eliminate some costs. You can buy a brand new modular home with setup included for approximately $25K to $45K
Those are nearer the figures I was expecting but in CAD.

Old Nov 16th 2020, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thanks. That's not cheap. It might seem like it is in the rest of Canada

I have in mind the stepkids. When me and MIL are not here anymore I really can't see their income (which is only one income) covering the expenses of this house. The house is also unnecessarily large for two. Downsizing is obvious. We're in a great area, convenient for everything

I see one cabin at $52k and then it jumps to $71k. So that's $87k or $106k. With the excavation/foundation and other costs I think it would be better to buy the usual...albeit not that many around. As a comparison, they could have had my duplex for $69k and that after all the renos done. Admittedly that was a buyer's market with the high rental vacancy rates at the time. But it was well situated with the option of renting part out.

I was just thinking that next door couldn't me more 'same area' and SD would still have a garden, much lower costs, moving would be easy and a chunk of money in the bank.

This year, a house (previously rented out) went for $58k in our street. I think it was advertised as 4 or 5 bedrooms, though only 1 bathroom. Obviously I have no idea what it was like inside but they're not knocking it down (like one over the back for $45k) so it can't be that bad. So far they've done new siding and windows. If it was bad inside I can't imagine they'd tart up the outside.

Your such a thoughtful person thinking of your step kids like that. They are lucky to have you as a step dad, you seem very caring person.

I don't know the real estate market in your part of the world, but what about buying the land as an investment that can be sold later on, assuming prices in your are will rise over time to return a profit at some point.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 16th 2020 at 4:20 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Those are nearer the figures I was expecting but in CAD.

That's not how it works in Canada, gotta add at least 30% to the US$ price....

It's like those tags some companies use to cut costs, so they include the US and Canada price on same tag, $15.99 US or $35.99 CAD. It's like those companies like to tease us how much cheaper the same exact item would be in the US to show how much we overpay....

Old Nov 16th 2020, 5:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't know the real estate market in your part of the world, but what about buying the land as an investment that can be sold later on, assuming prices in your are will rise over time to return a profit at some point.
I don't think I'd want to do that. That particular plot isn't that big. Probably not that good an investment as quite limited on what would go there. Plus it would restrict what we can do when the time comes.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

I don't think I'd want to do that. That particular plot isn't that big. Probably not that good an investment as quite limited on what would go there. Plus it would restrict what we can do when the time comes.
Makes sense. Why it's important to know the local market before investing.... At one point in Vancouver could buy something, flip it the day after it closed for profit, prices were climbing so quickly.