Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How is healthcare in Canada compared to the NHS system in the UK?

How is healthcare in Canada compared to the NHS system in the UK?

Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default How is healthcare in Canada compared to the NHS system in the UK?

Hi,

I am interested to know how the healthcare system in Canada compares to that of the UK?

I know that private healthcare is illegal in Canada so I know there is no other option than to use the public health care system.

I would be grateful to hear of peoples personal experiences with regard to Medicare.

Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is healthcare in Canada compared to the NHS system in the UK?

First stop then would be to do a search then, peoples experiences have been written about here many times, and there is probably a wiki covering it in general terms too.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=335604

Last edited by iaink; Apr 6th 2009 at 4:01 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW private healthcare is not "illegal", its just impractical as insurance cannot pay for something provincial coverage would, so a doctor would have to setup to deal with only self paying patients, although that law is being challenged in Quebec I believe

In practice if you have the wealth to not want to wait, you just go to the states for treatment.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
FWIW private healthcare is not "illegal", its just impractical as insurance cannot pay for something provincial coverage would, so a doctor would have to setup to deal with only self paying patients, although that law is being challenged in Quebec I believe

In practice if you have the wealth to not want to wait, you just go to the states for treatment.
That is what I read on this actual forum though

And I can't find any information on NHS vs Medicare?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by act1980

And I can't find any information on NHS vs Medicare?
This forum is not infalible, and many believe private health care to be illegal, but what is in fact illegal is insurance coverage for private treatement (ie like BUPA)..which makes private medicine the preserve of the wealty..of which there are not enough to support doctors in Canada when they could just seek treatment in the US.

As far as comparisons to the NHS, there are many, so I suggest you learn to use the advanced search functions, they are your best friend for this kind of thing. And for that there is certainly a wiki.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 6th 2009 at 4:07 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Look harder. The advanced search function is your friend.
This is what I read on private care http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...e+care+illegal
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:08 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

For anyone who wants to bother reading.

The illegality of private health care in Canada

A peer reviewd article by: Colleen M. Flood, Tom Archibald

It's in PDF format so Adobe Acrobat is required.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

This is what I read on private care http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...e+care+illegal
So you do know how to use the search function

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

So you do know how to use the search function
Yes and I could not find anything. I did the advanced search.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Steve!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Yes and I could not find anything. I did the advanced search.
Must be spelling something wrong. Took me about ten seconds to pull up the wiki. Just enter healthcare and its throws out page after page of threads with healthcare in the title...Basically its like the NHS, only you pay for drugs, and probably wont wait as long. The biggest headache is getting a GP in some areas.

Any more questions?
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Not if you have a Mac it isn't! Sorry, Steve, I'm having a very pro-Mac week.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Must be spelling something wrong. Took me about ten seconds to pull up the wiki. Just enter healthcare and its throws out page after page of threads with healthcare in the title...Basically its like the NHS, only you pay for drugs, and probably wont wait as long. The biggest headache is getting a GP in some areas.

Any more questions?
I have read the wiki and could find some information. But I wanted personal experiences that's all.

I don't understand Medicare not covering the cost of an ambulance? How are you supposed to pay for it? That link Steve sent states that private healthcare is illegal in Ontario so that option is out.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:23 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

I have read the wiki and could find some information. But I wanted personal experiences that's all.

I don't understand Medicare not covering the cost of an ambulance? How are you supposed to pay for it? That link Steve sent states that private healthcare is illegal in Ontario so that option is out.
Health insurance...

Pay about $2400/year recieve nothing back for ten years but when you do need it, it's there!!!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
Health insurance...

Pay about $2400/year recieve nothing back for ten years but when you do need it, it's there!!!
$24,000 seems rather steep for a ride in an ambulance. Do you get to operate the siren?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.