How do I chop this wood?

Wikiposts

How do I chop this wood?

Old Nov 7th 2010, 9:29 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do I chop this wood?

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Thanks Steve, we have a lot of deadfall, and these birch branches were on top of the brushpile ready to be burned after stripping the trunk which got chopped up for firewood. So they were already on the ground.

Mmm good point about the spade bit thing, I had only thought as far as "well ill just hold it beween my feet and drill down on it. <visions of bits of wood flying around the basement)

I know theres lots of suggestions for the chainsaw, but seriously - those who know me know that is a bad idea.

Will get the hand saw out now (or after another fag and coffee) and have a play.
You really do need a vice
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

This one is nice, too!

Last edited by justkidding; Nov 7th 2010 at 12:00 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bgroe
This one is nice, too!

http://i51.tinypic.com/263hld3.jpg
I'm not sure the fire department would approve of these candle holders
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You really do need a vice
Don't you think she might already have a couple of those?

(mwah mandy )

Oh, you mean a vice vice ....
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:18 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Don't you think she might already have a couple of those?

(mwah mandy )

Oh, you mean a vice vice ....
LOL I thought the very same thing when reading that..lol
Old Nov 7th 2010, 12:35 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

bugger off you lot

Yes I like the big log one, theres some i've seen that are stacked that look nice too. Was just wanting to make a rustic chrissie centrepiece!!

Spoke to hubby and he said emphatically "NO, don't touch anything i'll chop it for you when I get home" Result eh!

Why fire dept Fled?? Do you think these are dangerous??? Tealights go in them so its not like a naked candle in a bit of wood
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

You need something like this.

Last edited by triumphguy; Nov 7th 2010 at 1:18 pm. Reason: Just read your last post - defo let hubby do it!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

bugger off you lot

Yes I like the big log one, theres some i've seen that are stacked that look nice too. Was just wanting to make a rustic chrissie centrepiece!!

Spoke to hubby and he said emphatically "NO, don't touch anything i'll chop it for you when I get home" Result eh!

Why fire dept Fled?? Do you think these are dangerous??? Tealights go in them so its not like a naked candle in a bit of wood
Tealights in metal cases? thick metal cases?? will they protect the wood? I've seen them melt before now. I'm just a worrywort me.

There's bound to be a fireperson or two on here - maybe they will say.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Could make the centres big enough for glass tea light hollders that come up above the naked flame, if you see what I mean ?

How do they stick the stacking ones together ?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 2:32 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Could make the centres big enough for glass tea light hollders that come up above the naked flame, if you see what I mean ?

How do they stick the stacking ones together ?
Yes thats a possibility, um dunno how the stacking ones go together actually, hadn't thought that far ahead - maybe long screws or something unless its some sort of epoxy glue????

Wouldn't be a hot glue gun as anyone who remembers the old "I've just made a mirror with deer horns at the top and a shelf for candles at the botom - crash - ow - f**k, the candles melted the glue that the horns were stuck on with and fell on top of me along with 3 tealight holder full of hot wax" incident will remember
Old Nov 8th 2010, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thats a possibility, um dunno how the stacking ones go together actually, hadn't thought that far ahead - maybe long screws or something unless its some sort of epoxy glue????

Wouldn't be a hot glue gun as anyone who remembers the old "I've just made a mirror with deer horns at the top and a shelf for candles at the botom - crash - ow - f**k, the candles melted the glue that the horns were stuck on with and fell on top of me along with 3 tealight holder full of hot wax" incident will remember
I didn't read that one

I thought maybe some sort of heat glue like you use to seal log burners ? They do a silicone as well don't they ?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, sorry, but that is hilarious!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:42 pm
Sawdust making harpy

yup and I was sat on the couch drinking coffee at the time, so that went flying.

I nearly s**t myself when it all kicked off and it took me ages to clean the wax off
Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:22 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You should marry Souvy
She wouldn't be married to me for long if she started chopping up logs with my mitre or table saws. Or the circular saw. Or jigsaw. Or the hand saws.

A chain saw is really the way to go. You can get little electric ones. Or, get a cheap reciprocating saw. The blades are cheap.

As for the holes, I'd suggest using a Forstner bit. I think they go up to 1.5" and you can use them freehand.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
A chain saw is really the way to go. You can get little electric ones.
Of all the useless items in the world, an electric chainsaw must rank in the top ten.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.