Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

How common is this with condos?

Wikiposts

How common is this with condos?

Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How common is this with condos?

Is this sort of thing common for condos? Stories like this is what makes me wary of owning a condo. I know one person personally (MIL) who had this happen to the condo she owned, but it was 55,000 per unit, and it just about financially ruined her.

Suppose if its an older building just make sure all the big stuff is done first?

Seems this could ruin someone, it's a lot of money to pay that was never expected.

Downtown Edmonton condo owners on the hook for $2.3M repair - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How common is this with condos?

That's pretty common. Although state or provincial laws likely require a HOA to charge a monthly fee to pay for future repairs, often things go wrong and the reserves fall short. When I sold my townhouse, the buyer was told that the siding would need to be replaced and there wasn't enough reserves and each unit would be accessed an estimated $60,000. If the siding was previously replaced, I'd likely have gotten and additional $60,000 or more as the purchase price. $60,000 may seem like a lot but the siding was cedar shakes don't last like aluminum or stucco siding and major repairs can't be done but it has character and costs a lot for materials and labor to replace.

You can live in a rundown house and let the decks and eves rot, the roof leaking, cracks or rot in the foundation, and the yard in disrepair but when you want to sell, you probably aren't going to get much for the property.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 13th 2015 at 6:30 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is this sort of thing common for condos? Stories like this is what makes me wary of owning a condo. I know one person personally (MIL) who had this happen to the condo she owned, but it was 55,000 per unit, and it just about financially ruined her.

Suppose if its an older building just make sure all the big stuff is done first?

Seems this could ruin someone, it's a lot of money to pay that was never expected.

Downtown Edmonton condo owners on the hook for $2.3M repair - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca
Happens all the time and I wouldn't touch condo with a barge pole for this exact reason. Most recent I personally know of was I was at a garage sale and the lady selling explained how her 80 year old mother who had just passed away had been hit with 40,000. She was quite bitter about the whole thing.

With a condo it seems they can pull repair costs out their arse. You have no choice who does the work or even if it needs doing at all. I'd be out there myself doing repairs to save a fiver never mind 46grand but no option with a condo
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose condos are best for short term and not long term.

Probably better to rent then risk buying a condo long term, the maintenance fees on top of the mortgage is bad enough but to be dinged with bills like this on top is just insane.

The issue my MIL found herself in was the pipes and leaky condo issues (they were built during the leaky condo era.) and then being in a market where older condos didn't go up in value, so when she sold, it sold for less then what she bought it for 15 years earlier as the value of condos in this town don't really go up much.

That same building has a lot of working going on now no idea if they hit the owners again with a large amount of money to do the repairs.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Michael
That's pretty common. Although state or provincial laws likely require a HOA to charge a monthly fee to pay for future repairs, often things go wrong and the reserves fall short. When I sold my townhouse, the buyer was told that the siding would need to be replaced and there wasn't enough reserves and each unit would be accessed an estimated $60,000. If the siding was previously replaced, I'd likely have gotten and additional $60,000 or more as the purchase price. $60,000 may seem like a lot but the siding was cedar shakes don't last like aluminum or stucco siding and major repairs can't be done but it has character and costs a lot for materials and labor to replace.

You can live in a rundown house and let the decks and eves rot, the roof leaking, cracks or rot in the foundation, and the yard in disrepair but when you want to sell, you probably aren't going to get much for the property.
Suppose if your never planning to sell, doesn't matter, plus around here it's land value, you can get 400-500k for a vacant lot, my MIL house sits on 1/2 acre, the house is valued at around 145,000 now (she does no work to it and it need a ton of work for anyone else) but the land is valued at 555,000, so she is still sitting on a small fortune if she ever sold.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 12:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I forget the amount but in Ontario condos have to have a huge amount in the reserve fund to cover major renovations or repairs. This means condofees are high...ours is just under $1K per month...but at least owners shouldn't be hit with a huge bill.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I forget the amount but in Ontario condos have to have a huge amount in the reserve fund to cover major renovations or repairs. This means condofees are high...ours is just under $1K per month...but at least owners shouldn't be hit with a huge bill.
At that rate condos there don't even seem affordable.

No clue what the rules are here, some on MLS have maintenance fees anywhere from 200 and up, 300-400 seem to be the most popular in this town, no idea about Vancouver.

I can't imagine you'd need to save 12,000 a year for maintenance on a house? Obviously need some but 1,000 a month over say 30-40 years of ownership, oh man that is a lot of money.

I'll just keep renting, condos seem like a waste of money, and houses are not for the working class in these parts.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 1:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was just looking at Moncton's luxury condo/apartments.

There's one building, the newest I think, where the 2 bedroom/2 bathroom units are $330k to $380k. Condo fees are $225 plus $75 for the reserve fund.

For rentals there's a building where similar apartments - going by the photos - are $1100 a month.

But there's another building - an ugly former office block converted - and again looks the same going by the photos, but the rents exceed $2000.

Other than it being right on Main St I can't see why it should be so much more. But the place that's $1100 is literally just around the corner.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

There's one building, the newest I think, where the 2 bedroom/2 bathroom units are $330k to $380k. Condo fees are $225 plus $75 for the reserve fund.

For rentals there's a building where similar apartments - going by the photos - are $1100 a month.

But there's another building - an ugly former office block converted - and again looks the same going by the photos, but the rents exceed $2000.

Other than it being right on Main St I can't see why it should be so much more. But the place that's $1100 is literally just around the corner.
In Toronto the older buildings tend to have larger condos...there the condo fees tend to be higher. Condo fees are based on the square footage...ours is approx 1K sq feet...2 beds/2 baths. We also have an underground parking space and a storage locker...both are subject to condo fees...again based on the sq footage.

We also own another condo a few floors below which is slightly smaller...with parking space and locker. I think rent on that type of unit would be around $2.5K+ per month...this would include condo fees.

I should add that our building has a pool, gym, BBQ area, party room, 24 hr concierge and security patrol. Of course the condo fees go towards the costs of all these.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 14th 2015 at 2:37 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 14th 2015, 1:42 am
Account Closed

I don't think we have anything one could call luxury, the newest one is around 5-6 years old,.

I guess this would maybe be called luxury, the unit not the building....

# 610 1211 VILLAGE GREEN WY, Squamish, British Columbia V8B0R7 - V1133100 | Realtor.ca

499,000 with 379 per month maintenance fees, 6 year old building.

More typical newer build is

239,000 and 196 in maintenance fees.

# 407 1310 VICTORIA ST, Squamish, British Columbia V8B0B7 - V1128660 | Realtor.ca

Units in the 2nd link vary rent, most recent listings I have seen have them renting for 1,200-1,500 per month.

2007 build, 258,000 and 166 in maintenance fees.

# 217 1336 MAIN ST, Squamish, British Columbia V8B0R2 - V1108277 | Realtor.ca

Units in the above building are renting anywhere from 1,400 to 1,900 per month. (18 months ago rent in this building was 800 to 1,000 per month, then the rental shortage hit and rents went sky high.)

2 bed for rent for 1,800 per month in the bldg in the last link.

Amazing Two Bedroom Condo - Downtown Squamish

Makes the 850 we pay for a 1 bedroom look like a bargain.. (we are in a rent controlled complex.)

They currently don't build condos in town, so no idea if we will ever get new one's, the developers are only buildings town homes and single family homes, but that is where the money is, and town council seems to prefer those developments over apartments and condos.

This is the cheapest condo complex to buy in town, 130,000 + 240 per month in fees, built in 1968, its a mix of dedicated rentals and private owners, but the strata pretty much does nothing to the building or grounds, not many owner occupied there. (doesn't even have en suite laundry, its shared laundry)

Rent in this building right now is generally over 1,000 per month.

http://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Si...olumbia-V0N3G0

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 14th 2015 at 1:52 am.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 4:22 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
At that rate condos there don't even seem affordable.
Basically when I look at condo's and see a well priced condo with decent square feet I know that the likelihood is the management/maintenance fees have gone through the roof.

People talk about the dead money of rent but no one talks about that dead money.

Management/maintenance fees also seem to have a nasty habit of rising at faster rates than inflation because builders artificially keep them down when selling new builds.

It's a tricky one for aspiring home owners.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 5:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

There's one building, the newest I think, where the 2 bedroom/2 bathroom units are $330k to $380k.
They are talking out of their bottom!!!!

Why in the world would anyone pay that sort of money for a condo in Moncton????

My 4 bed 2 1/2 bath brand new build 2200sqft semi with a decent garden cost half of that!!!

That sort of price range will buy you a mini mansion here

Last edited by scrubbedexpat133; Jul 14th 2015 at 5:49 am.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
Happens all the time and I wouldn't touch condo with a barge pole for this exact reason. .....
This,
..... With a condo it seems they can pull repair costs out their arse. ....
this,
..... You have no choice who does the work or even if it needs doing at all. .....
this,
I'd be out there myself doing repairs to save a fiver never mind 46grand .....
and most definitely this.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:48 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Basically when I look at condo's and see a well priced condo with decent square feet I know that the likelihood is the management/maintenance fees have gone through the roof.

People talk about the dead money of rent but no one talks about that dead money.

Management
/maintenance fees also seem to have a nasty habit of rising at faster rates than inflation because builders artificially keep them down when selling new builds.

It's a tricky one for aspiring home owners.
So true.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
That sort of price range will buy you a mini mansion here
$340k for this one, includes an 800 foot in-law suite
(Not especially attractive though)

Or if you prefer character, this for $360k

This one looks a bit British for $90k

Not bad for $80k

Last edited by BristolUK; Jul 14th 2015 at 7:13 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.