Hotspot Shield

Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hotspot Shield

When I was in my local computer store today, they told me about Hotspot Shield. The Manager of the store is also a Brit and he says he uses it to watch BBC footage. I said lots of the things on the BBC site won't let you view them unless you are in the UK.

This is where you find Hotspot Shield.

http://anchorfree.com/downloads/hotspot-shield/

Apparently it hides your IP address so you can view BBC video as if you are in the UK. At least it was supposed to. When I installed it, I got a message saying "did I want to change my default search from Google" and I said no. However, even if I put BBC TV in the Hotspot Shield search box on the Hotspot Shield Toolbar that is now installed on my computer, and even if, when I get to the BBC I go to the box that says "Set your Location" and I insert my sister's postal code in Kent - when I try to watch video I get a message that says I can't watch unless I am in the UK.

If anyone wants to try it and they get it to work, could they please post the solution here so I can also get it to work?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:59 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hotspot Shield

Cool! Thanks Liz!

(If it works... )

... I'll let you know what it does for me but likely not until tomorrow.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 4:44 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same result as Liz, couldn't get the iplayer to believe I'm not in the UK.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I should have posted the darn thing with a different title - such as - How to Watch BBC in Canada. Because loads of people on here have asked how to do it - that way maybe more people would view the thread and someone would figure it out!

But I see 74 people have looked but I guess none of them figured it out - or maybe none downloaded it.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:07 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I should have posted the darn thing with a different title - such as - How to Watch BBC in Canada. Because loads of people on here have asked how to do it - that way maybe more people would view the thread and someone would figure it out!

But I see 74 people have looked but I guess none of them figured it out - or maybe none downloaded it.
Unfortunately it didn't work for me on iPlayer, still get the must be in UK message. Hope others have more success.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98

I was a reader not a doer! I am impressed by your perseverance with trying to get BBC TV downloaded, and am waiting, lazily or seflfishly for you to get it all sussed out and posting the "how to"

BBC karma on its way
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I posted in The Lab and Ka Ora said to use

http://strongvpn.com/

The only thing is it appears to cost $15 a month. Anyway, he (I assume Ka Ora is a he - but who knows?) says that Hotspot Shield gives you a US IP address whereas the one above you can also get a UK IP addy.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:53 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I read the title of this thread as "Hotpot Shield", and assumed that it was about some health and safety madness for preparing Lancashire delicacies.

D'oh.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:20 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Computer says no.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:42 am
Just Joined

mgolds is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to let you know although Hotspot shield won't work for BBC Iplayer (still trying to find an easy way to access this without the hassle of unreliable proxy servers),it does work if you want to access all the latest American TV through Hulu or Sling.
The sheild can only be used to access content in the states,its a nice little program and would be good if someone in the U.K could replicate this so expats could access the Iplayer.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

I watch quite a lot of things on iPlayer
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:15 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
I watch quite a lot of things on iPlayer
HOW
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

Magic
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:16 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNikki
Magic
You have to share as it is nearly Christmas and Santa will be MAD at you.