Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Horror stories and sensitive souls

Horror stories and sensitive souls

Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute
Default Horror stories and sensitive souls

Hi

A sleepless night last night because our 12 year old was introduced to the delights of 'Mary Worth' by her mates yesterday. Now she can't sleep and when she did drop off she woke three or four times, and was reading because she was so scared at 3am.

Anyone got any tips about how to reassure the little darlings when they're **** scared by horror stories at school? I need my beauty sleep and then some.
Help!

Murrays
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:33 pm
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Horror stories and sensitive souls

I feel for you. When I was a child I heard the bloody mary story and could not sleep for 4yrs. Ended up I was tired at school, and my performance dropped dramatically. My suggestion would be to show her stories on the internet of adults, like me, that believed this then relised it was silly. Explain that it was a fairy tale or urban legend that kids believe for fun. Explain that kids who claim to have seen bloody Mary or Mary worth are just imagining things or plain lying. One thing you can do is actually go in to a room without her and do the whole ritual juat to prove its not true. If this doesn't work just tell her that she is only safe when she is sleeping.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

I hadn't heard the story but local urban legend has it that this incarnation was in a coma and buried alive until they heard scratching from the coffin as it was lowered into the grave.
Our daughter was in and out of our room last night - what's that noise, did you hear that? I told her the dog wouldn't let anyone or anything in. I explained it's not real and we are only in the next room etc etc.
No joy. She looks like death warmed up this morning, and so do I. TGIF.

Murrays
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:43 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Im not entirely sure what or who Mary Worth is but if its what I think it is, have you tried googling...scary urban myths/Legends, you might find a site debunking that myth or the several different varietys of 'Mary Worth', giving her a different perspective on it.

Keep reasuring her, let her talk to you about why it bothers her and dont let her read horror stories in the house, until she can tell the difference between truth and fiction or at least until she stops having nightmares.

Good luck
Old Apr 11th 2008, 4:51 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

groups.msn.com/SpiritualCircles/scaryurbanmyths.msnw

I found this, which has several different myths the Virgin mary one might be of help because its a hoax
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Hi

A sleepless night last night because our 12 year old was introduced to the delights of 'Mary Worth' by her mates yesterday. Now she can't sleep and when she did drop off she woke three or four times, and was reading because she was so scared at 3am.

Anyone got any tips about how to reassure the little darlings when they're **** scared by horror stories at school? I need my beauty sleep and then some.
Help!

Murrays
I feel your pain too! Same with my daughter over the last few years. She's almost 16 and it STILL happens sometimes. I had to ban her from watching anything remotely scary - 'cos we were all suffering! However, can't control what she does when at friends places etc.

What worked for us, was to sit by her bed until she was asleep. Usually she would sleep all night if she could get to sleep in the first place, though not always. Maybe try that?
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, ladies.
Real bugger!

She's such a talker that if I sit by her bed she'll natter all night.
She doesn't watch scary stuff at home, she's like me and hides behind the sofa for Dr Who. It's the stories the kids tell each other at school, and I'm sure she joins in. Then she comes home and gets in a state about it.
I've googled the Mary Worth thing and there's so many variations. She's having a mate for sleepover tomorrow so either they'll scare themselves senseless, or will be too busy with boy talk to think about it.

Deep joy!

Murrays
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:16 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

If it helps any i have completely freaked myself out by reading some of these Urban legends and i will not be sleeping well tonight......

This week its ghost stories...next week it will be something else...kids
Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Littletashy
If it helps any i have completely freaked myself out by reading some of these Urban legends and i will not be sleeping well tonight......

This week its ghost stories...next week it will be something else...kids
Makes a change from boys!

Thanks!

Sharon
PS See you're from Desborough, I'm an ex Northants girl myself!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Common sense prevailed.
Daughter's six friends were all in the same state last night, so they've agreed no more horror stories.

Thank goodness for that!

Murrays
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:23 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

You could try telling her that the dog will see/feel any ghostly/scary beings before she does and will scare them away so they can't get to her.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:26 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Common sense prevailed.
Daughter's six friends were all in the same state last night, so they've agreed no more horror stories.

Thank goodness for that!

Murrays
Glad to hear it!! Hope you all get a good nights sleep tonight - a glass or two of OK wine may help!

Big hugs xx
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Common sense prevailed.

Thank goodness for that!

Murrays
Good to hear that and very smart of them
Yoong
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks folks!

Murrays