Hockey 2010

Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:37 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hockey 2010

Originally Posted by bsmith
When I was at school, the boys played rugby, football and cricket, the girls played net ball, rounders and hockey. We all knew where we stood in those days.
If you ask most Canadians, they consider it a girl's game too
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
If you ask most Canadians, they consider it a girl's game too
Well, they're clearly wrong. Although at least they're fully inconsistent: most Canadians consider Iced Hockey to be a boy's game.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:22 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

What is with the Candy Cane sticks? that should be the number one rule change. It will open up the passing aspect of the game a lot.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
What is with the Candy Cane sticks? that should be the number one rule change. It will open up the passing aspect of the game a lot.
The old English head sticks were similar to the ice hockey ones. The shorter heads came in with the advent of the "Indian Dribble" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_h...ck#Head_length

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Mar 5th 2010 at 2:47 am.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:06 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was at school, the boys played rugby, football and cricket, the girls played net ball, rounders and hockey. We all knew where we stood in those days.
Same as when I went to school.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The grammar school I went to (All boys) we had the winter choice of Rugby, Cross country, or Hockey. Soccer was for working class oiks, so not an option. Around that time they were national hockey champs, and the current England Coach was one of a number of boys representing england at U16 and U18 level.

Once I had the chance to drop Rugby (It was compulsory in the first couple of years) Hockey was a no brainer. I got quite good, Uni 1st XI, county teams etc.

They don't appear to be able to fill the place no matter who is playing. It wasn't anywhere near full for the evening prime time game between England and Pakistan either.

You seem like you are knowledgeable on the sport and you understand how big Iced hockey is in Canada, so why do you think Grassed Hockey is virtually unknown in Canada? How do we manage to play in the world cup finals when I bet less than 1% of Canadians could name one member on the team? Doesn't make much sense to me. Also, 6-0 seems like an ass kicking, is that considered a good result against the Krauts? Are the Germans a top ranked team?
Germany are a strong team 6:0 is no disgrace. Someone else got thumped 12:0 already in this world cup. I doubt many in England could name many of the English team either? I imagine climate has something to do with the relative popularity of the two here.
Short head makes for better ball control, and the hooked ones are very good for dragging the ball. You have to use only one face of the stick, so the ability to turn the head over the ball is critical to dribbling fast. A long flat ice hockey style head just doesnt work for that. If someone came up with an ice hockey stick with a similar short head design and perfected field hockey dribbling skills it would confuse the hell out of the defence men and goalies Passing isnt a problem, I dont really know why (ice) hockey players need a foot long head to aim for, a decent player will take the puck on the same inch of the stick everytime anyway

Last edited by iaink; Mar 5th 2010 at 5:20 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:27 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Short head makes for better ball control, and the hooked ones are very good for dragging the ball. ...... so the ability to turn the head over the ball is critical to dribbling fast. :
Are we still talking about hockey?

<coat, please>
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I'll get your hat too
Old Mar 5th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Short head makes for better ball control, and the hooked ones are very good for dragging the ball. You have to use only one face of the stick, so the ability to turn the head over the ball is critical to dribbling fast. A long flat ice hockey style head just doesnt work for that. If someone came up with an ice hockey stick with a similar short head design and perfected field hockey dribbling skills it would confuse the hell out of the defence men and goalies Passing isnt a problem, I dont really know why (ice) hockey players need a foot long head to aim for, a decent player fill take the puck on the same inch of the stick anyway
A longer blade makes for better puck control at high speeds and allows for different types of shots, slap, wrist, snap, backhand. The games appear quite different outside the obvious ice vs grass/turf.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

A longer blade makes for better puck control at high speeds and allows for different types of shots, slap, wrist, snap, backhand. The games appear quite different outside the obvious ice vs grass/turf.
Different games...ya think!

The only thing I can think that the longer toe would help with is deflecting a shot on target while screening in front of the keeper, but as you say, different games.

The whole backhand / reverse thing is the biggest difference... I dont think all those left handed (ice) hockey players would be too thrilled to have to change now! All field hockey stick are right handed.... gets too dangerous to go in for the ball if you dont know which side you are going to get whacked from if they try and hit it while you are going for it. Full on hit seem relatively rare in (ice) hockey, apart from slap shots that your tend to see coming a mile off, its all push and flick movements.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 5th 2010 at 3:15 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The grammar school I went to (All boys) we had the winter choice of Rugby, Cross country, or Hockey. Soccer was for working class oiks, so not an option.
Ahh, now that explains it all.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Oink
Ahh, now that explains it all.
Yeah, I was smart enough to pass the 11plus Shame they never taught me no grammar innit.

I was pissed off though that unlike many I didnt get a new bike for doing so

Last edited by iaink; Mar 5th 2010 at 5:54 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was smart enough to pass the 11plus
They didn't have the 11 plus when I was at school.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Oink
They didn't have the 11 plus when I was at school.
Just as well eh
Old Mar 5th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Troll

The whole backhand / reverse thing is the biggest difference... I dont think all those left handed (ice) hockey players would be too thrilled to have to change now! All field hockey stick are right handed
So I wouldn't be able to play grassed hockey. I shoot left, even though I am conservative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.