Here in Ottawa!!

Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Here in Ottawa!!

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi Kate ,
with my original post do you reckon a family of four could survive on me working on a job for say $15 an hour 40 hours a week.
I will have a small mortgage of no more than £40,000 if that.
This will last for 3 years until my wife finishes her course,then the money can flow a little better.
Cheers
Arty
I think it's impossible . . . . you're talking $30k pa before deductions right?

We've got no mortgage, two kids, two cars (120km commute per day for one, the other car is for my wife's occasional trips), one income (65k pa) and, while it's not a struggle, it's stressful.

My wife does insist on a freakishly expensive daycare though at $35 a day, when our new baby is old enough to go my wife will have to get a job!

I'm not saving a lot of money right now.

Last edited by Sean Boxer; Jul 5th 2007 at 5:09 am.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers ,
that is what my wife is saying .
We would be in a completely different financial situation than back home.Just now i bring in £45,000 plus and the the boss just over £20,000.
Its just that i feel we would be giving the kids a better future in Canada ,yes we have a good life in the UK and yes i think things arent as cheap in Canada than in Scotland.
But you know it feels and looks like a great place to live from my limited experience,i dont know, the UK is changing and i dont think its for the best.
There is i am sure a fantastic future for the young folk of this big country and i reckon that is why we are going to give it a go ,not just for us ,but for our children.
Cheers
Arty

Last edited by Arty; Jul 5th 2007 at 3:44 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Well people,
come on what do you reckon is a reasonable salary for 4.
I need your honest input.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Well people,
come on what do you reckon is a reasonable salary for 4.
I need your honest input.
If you're earning £65,000 in the UK, you'l need a minimum of 130,000 dollars a year salary in Canada to have the same spending power, well that would be my take.
Here in the UK we're on around £80,000 a year salary combined, in Canada we're expecting that in dollars, and it'll be a massive downturn in our lifestyle expectations, but will hopefully gain in other ways.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:43 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Back in the UK i am Process Control Tech with BP.There doesn't seem to be any jobs for that particular skill here in Ottawa,all the oil and gas jobs are in the west.
I have family who live in Ottawa and they can get me a job in various positions but the bottom line is they will only be about the $15 mark for the first 2 years as they are not particularly skilled jobs.I have worked in a Industrial chemical environment ie Ciba Speciality Chemicals for 20 years, before i moved to BP .MY original intention was to move into OIL & Gas to increase my chance of getting into Canada,but the boss is nt keen on moving to far from Ottawa.
So basically i would work at anything as long as i could live on the wages,until the wife passes her Diploma in Social Work.
Cheers for your replies.
Arty now in Ottawa
Only Temporaryy
There is very little in the way of process industry here. The nearest refinery is probably the one in Montreal, a good 3 hours' commute. Other than that, the only things I can think of that come anywhere close are a bogroll factory in Hull and a Bowater pulp/paper plant in Gatineau. And a hydroelectric plant.

For comparison purposes, the median household income in the Ottawa area is probably now over $70k (the average is well over $80k). The UK median equates to roughly $53k. I wouldn't want to be living close to the Ottawa median.

Last edited by Souvenir; Jul 6th 2007 at 12:06 am. Reason: Found some new numbers.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
An income of $3000 per month would be just about ok for us (family of 4). Running 2 cars, no mortgage.
I dunno about that. My ex has an income of about $4500 a month with no mortgage and one low cost dependent. She certainly can't run two cars and gets by with an old banger.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I dunno about that. My ex has an income of about $4500 a month with no mortgage and one low cost dependent. She certainly can't run two cars and gets by with an old banger.
That's less than average income in Ottawa and Ottawa is rather cheaper than where your ex lives.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That's less than average income in Ottawa and Ottawa is rather cheaper than where your ex lives.

Yeah, I keep her in grinding poverty (or so her lawyer says). All legal theatrics aside, that is a low enough income that she doesn't pay income tax and gets the GST rebate (a poverty alleviation measure). The killer for her budget is the property taxes; $800/month. That's less of an issue in a more rural location, ours are just over a hundred.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It costs us around £3,500 a month for 4 to live a fairly adequate and comfortable life with a mortgage (£500 per month) running 2 cars, the odd holiday and some savings.
I've worked out from info from this site and other sources that (and my wife tells be I'm talking bollock$, it must be less) we would need the same amount but in dollars, ie. around $7,000 - $8,000 per month income if we wanted to live in the same way. What I meant, and perhaps I wasn't clear, is that we could survive on $3,000 -$4,000 a month but it would be a very frugal existence, and yes, probably running 2 cars on that too would be wishful thinking.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Well it looks as if it would be an uphill struggle near enough immpossible.Maybe we should stick to the holiday and pass on living the life as a resident.
The killer for us is that my wife would be unable to earn due to the college work and without the college course we cant get the ball rolling.:curse:
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:20 am

Well it looks as if it would be an uphill struggle near enough immpossible.Maybe we should stick to the holiday and pass on living the life as a resident.
The killer for us is that my wife would be unable to earn due to the college work and without the college course we cant get the ball rolling.:curse:
It's not the news you wanted, is it? Better to find out sooner rather than later, though. Sorry mate.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's not the news you wanted, is it? Better to find out sooner rather than later, though. Sorry mate.
Yeah, a couple more years won't seem like much when you're swimming in a warm Canadian lake 10 years from now.

We delayed our move for two years to get our Hong Kong PR status.

Anyway, your immigration process will probably still be going on by the time your wife finishes her course.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer

Anyway, your immigration process will probably still be going on by the time your wife finishes her course.
...or getting ready for retirement the way London CHC is processing!!!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

The water does look lovely maybe i will still go ahead and live the dream ,just not as extravagant as my first intentions were.Will have to dip into my savings for the first 2-3 years to supplement my meagre wage,but hey i will be starting with a nice house ,no mortgage, money in the bank and the wife studying for a new career.
Hopefully 3 years down the line life will be a little easier
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well thats us back home in Scotland
Have to say if Carlsberg made holidays they would be hard pushed to beat this one.It was great meeting my family and renewing old ties and creating new ones,we seem to have packed a fair amount into our holiday we are still exhausted.
Ottawa was fantastic,Gatineau Park superb,Montreal bustling and St Catharines beautiful,especially Port Dalhousie
Niagara Falls awesome ,though 2 days was enough we even jumped over to Buffalo and quickly jumped back.
1000 thousand Islands is a must,absolutely exquisite have to say that area sold it for us.
Well we will be returning next Feb for a week just to check out the chill,then 3 weeks in June to get a better crack at the summer weather.
Arty & Co

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.