Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Help with a simple website

Help with a simple website

Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of
Default Help with a simple website

I need some help, please. I'm ok with computers but web site creation is a bit past me!

I work for a not for profit Exhibition centre, so funds for this sort of thing is always tight.

But I want to create a pretty simple 10 page website for the Exhibition. I have been quoted $900 which is too much for us!

We have a site already which is terrible, annapolisvalleyexhibition.ca but I suppose it is a starting point...

Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with a simple website

For the average guy this is not so easy, your 900 dollars is well spent as long as you use a reasonable company. having said that if you want to modify an existing website you must get access to the "WEBSITE Builder" if there is one or do a crash course in HTML language www.tizag.com (I'm giving you the simple version). Look at Network Solutions, or a similar site builder, who do/show you how to do everything and their costs are in the region of 200 american dollars for a 4 page website. Their website is somewhat user friendly, tho I believe there are much better ones, you need to search the web. Serious learning curve on the way. Another option is to source a university kid who is eager to flaunt their newly aquired skills. Good luck.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:17 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

This is a company based in the UK but you could try www.ekmsitebuilder.com - it is a very simple to use website building package with a number of templates - not overly sophisticated but has been designed for the novice to use it. You can have your own domain name with .ca hosted with them without a problem (or .com).

It costs £9.99 a month. There is a fully working demo site there, go into designs and layout and you will see changing the design is a case of a few clicks of the button. It is very easy to upload your own pictures and stuff to it too.

Alternatively people like 123-reg.co.uk have their own site builder software too for a small anual fee.

It isn't necessary to spend fortunes on websites anymore if you are happy using something quite template based.

Last edited by Sleeping_Beauty45; Apr 30th 2009 at 1:20 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

I would well recommend a SiteMaker 4.0 system. I have used it to build some pretty fab websites for other people and it is incredibly cheap to do, and easy to use. Its a great option for professionals without a big budget. If you need a hand, just PM me....

Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

Oh heck, I have just looked at your site... Its not awful - you have a lot of info on it, which is what people need. But you could do with a better layout, some improved functionability and your pictures take way too long to load.

I have the Bank Holiday weekend off (2nd to 5th May), so if you can email me any content and ideas I could probably get it done for you in a few days. Let me know.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Get cool page. A complete buffoon can get the website up in less that a minute. So you have no trouble. Totally Free to try. All that limits it, is you own creativity.

http://www.coolpage.com/

If you wanna host. You can't go wrong with doteasy. But cool page has automatic publish button that will take you to MSN and stuff. What every tiggles your fancy......

Last edited by Essex_Man; Apr 30th 2009 at 6:28 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:22 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Locket
Oh heck, I have just looked at your site... Its not awful - you have a lot of info on it, which is what people need. But you could do with a better layout, some improved functionability and your pictures take way too long to load.
I agree. Not awful all relevant information, like LL says, maybe a cosmetic update and those pictures take forever and ever to load. It shouldn't take long to fix it. I use Dreamweaver and find it good most sites.
Old May 5th 2009, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hello,

Sent you a PM.

Old May 7th 2009, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Here is one I built up for our under 9's soccer team.

It's based on Drupal (free) and is very very easy to add content and manage once the system is setup.

http://www.wigtonmoorjuniors.co.uk

You will need a mysql database on your hosting for it to run.

Drop me a PM if you would like me to help you out.

Last edited by spaceace; May 7th 2009 at 8:00 am.
Old May 7th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Thanks for all the offers of help, guys, truly appreciated

And a special thanks to Lady Locket who is a website goddess in my eyes - did an amazing website in the time it took me to sort out the problems in the flowers section ...