Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Help please. Advice needed after interview.

Wikiposts

Help please. Advice needed after interview.

Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold
Default Help please. Advice needed after interview.

I had an interview on Tuesday (first since arriving in Canada), which went really well. I asked at the end of the interview when they would be making a decision and they said this week as they were really keen to get someone in to the position. The morning after the interview the HR person called me to say that I had done really well in the interview and that they were going to be checking references and she also asked about my ability to work in Canada.

There are a couple of things I need advice on. As this was my first venture into job hunting in Canada I forgot to send a thank you note or letter. It's now 3 days later and I'm thinking that it's too late to send one now. It would just look like I'm not very organised. What should I do?

Also as they said they were going to decide this week and I have not yet heard when is reasonable to call and check if they have made their decision. I have read somewhere that a week is reasonable but as they had already told me it would be this week, is it too soon to call? I know they have requested my references as my former bosses have told me. Help
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:22 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please. Advice needed after interview.

I think if they have expressed an interest and followed up with references that its pointless to send a thankyou now, you are right, it might look a bit odd.

As for following up, I would say that the ball is in their court right now, if you dont hear from them this week its probably because they have offered it to somone else and are waiting for a response. The only circumstances in which I would chase them are if I had another offer on the table and had to make a decision because of that. If you havent heard by next week, then a follow up call would be worth it, for feedback if nothing else.

Sound like you are doing OK so far, fingers crossed for you.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

everything crossed for you good luck!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:42 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

HR over here is notoriously slow - they seem to take Friday's off a lot too, so try not to worry too much. It all sounds very promising.

Fingers crossed!!!

(Also the one thing I regret was not pushing them on the salary/annual leave thing - looking back I was so relieved to have found a job I just took what they offered - you'll have to make a judgement on that one yourself, though)
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
HR over here is notoriously slow - they seem to take Friday's off a lot too, so try not to worry too much. It all sounds very promising.

Fingers crossed!!!

(Also the one thing I regret was not pushing them on the salary/annual leave thing - looking back I was so relieved to have found a job I just took what they offered - you'll have to make a judgement on that one yourself, though)
Forgot to say thanks for the pre interview tips. It helped me to prepare for the interview and with all the prep I don't think I could have done much better. I suppose that is one thing at least I did my best and if I'm not succesful then its down to there being a better candidate etc. I'm going to try and forget about it until next week and enjoy the weekend
Old Nov 28th 2008, 9:48 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome...
Now go and enjoy your (probably) last weekend as a non-employee!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

shahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really niceshahzadandkelly is just really nice

Hi

I am in the HR business and in our place, when someone decides on a candidate they want, they have to go through umpteen approvals before the job can be offered to the candidate. Depending upon people's availability to give the all important signature, it can take a little while.

So, I would advise you wait just a little longer and perhaps call in the middle of next week to ask for some feedback. I wouldn't bother with a thank you letter, I very much doubt they would seek references if they weren't keen on you as it takes time and can sometimes cost money to do so.

Also, some places won't hire until all of the references/backchecks have been complete and again, this can depend upon the availability of your past employers, couple this with time differences etc and it can slow down the process.

I really hope you hear something soon and that you get the job. Best of luck.

Kelly

PS - I wish I had Fridays off!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:00 pm

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

The "thank you" note is not mandatory. in fact I cringed when I ever received such gestures, although I never held this against an applicant. I would stop fretting over it. If you did as well as it sounds, it will be YOU who gets the position, not your kind gesture. if it's a make or break based on the note, then I would stay clear of the company.

But all the best of luck and let us know

Originally Posted by rgilbert
I had an interview on Tuesday (first since arriving in Canada), which went really well. I asked at the end of the interview when they would be making a decision and they said this week as they were really keen to get someone in to the position. The morning after the interview the HR person called me to say that I had done really well in the interview and that they were going to be checking references and she also asked about my ability to work in Canada.

There are a couple of things I need advice on. As this was my first venture into job hunting in Canada I forgot to send a thank you note or letter. It's now 3 days later and I'm thinking that it's too late to send one now. It would just look like I'm not very organised. What should I do?

Also as they said they were going to decide this week and I have not yet heard when is reasonable to call and check if they have made their decision. I have read somewhere that a week is reasonable but as they had already told me it would be this week, is it too soon to call? I know they have requested my references as my former bosses have told me. Help
Old Nov 29th 2008, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm Canadian, and my father hires people all the time, and his friends own companies as well and I've never heard of anyone sending a thank you note after an interview. It must be something done in the UK, but don't fret, no one in Canada is expecting such a thing.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 6:06 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thank you note is much more important when you are working on your job hunting network. You are asking people for help, and there is no benefit for them, so expressing appreciation is very appropriate.

I often get thank you notes from people I interview - maybe 30% - 40% of the time, depending on the kind of job. It is not necessary because I am not interviewing out of the goodness of my heart. I have a job vacancy that I need to fill. However, one of the most important characteristics of a potential employee is their enthusiasm to do the job. If a potential employee can demonstrate in a brief thank you note that they have understood the job and something of the company culture and are still keen this is a definite plus for them.

I always follow up an interview I attend with a thank you note. It's just one extra opportunity for a sales pitch. Even if I don't get the job, I send a letter or email thanking them for considering me, wishing them success, and offering any further assistance they may need. It's a small world, you never know who knows who, and a reputation for acting in a professional manner can only serve you well.

As for references, I don't take them up for all candidates. I usually only contact them after I have decided which is my preferred candidate to see if they corroborate the candidates resume and reflect my take on the person. Other employers will contact the references of all the people on their shortlist. Either way, the OP is in a good position.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

Are thank you notes a normal Canadian thing? I have never heard of them before. I would have thought it very odd to have got such a thing in the UK (where I interviewed a lot as part of my job). I would think they were very obsequious. I always say thank you for considering me at the interview, but then when interviewing always make my decision immediately after the interviews are complete, so thank you notes would be a bit pointless if they were trying to get a job where I had already made my mind up.

I would follow up by asking my references if they had been contacted, and if so if they had responded. In my experience a lot of delay happens at this point, and jobs should not be offered prior to references, because if the reference is bad you are then in a very awkward position.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

They phoned and offered me the job this morning. I decided to wait until later this afternoon to call them but they beat me to it. I'm really pleased and will be celebrating tonight .
Old Dec 1st 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

wonderful news!!! congratulations
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chumley

wonderful news!!! congratulations
Thanks. It's the first job I applied for (in my field of work) so I'm quite pleased with myself.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:54 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

A good excuse for another party!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.