Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....

Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....

Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....

Hi there....

Well, alot has been going on with me, moving over, getting a place, furnishing it, getting a job etc....

And then as well as everything else, I've some gastric flu thing that has been going on since i left the UK (2 months) and they can't find out what is wrong with me..

Then my mom comes out in a week, and guess what...

I can't stop crying when I'm home alone.... Which has been most of this week really..... I've had a headache from it for nearly 48 hours, can't sleep and just want to go back and hug all my friends, their cats, dogs, and horses and see my brother and mother....

Sorry - just needed to say it outloud, and I know it's only a temp thing, but I just feel sh*tty at the moment...

Bx
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to all
Default Re: Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....

Hey Bandit

I know how you feel to an extent.

I moved to Vancouver Island just over a month ago.

There have defiantly been some highs and lows.

At the moment I'm over here by myself hoping the house sale goes through and wife and kids will then join me.
Started work pretty much straight away and with sorting a house etc kept busy but sometimes I need someone to share it all with.
Well fingers crossed.

I was in Vancouver only yesterday. Although it was on business I took advantage and had a bit of a look around.

Well what a beautiful place. I was downtown in all the hussle and bussle but there was exellent views from just about every street corner.

I'm sure when you get back on your feet again you will soon realise that your move over was for the best.

Hope things turn around soon.....
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:01 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit

Then my mom comes out in a week, and guess what...
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but wait until your Mum leaves to go back to the UK after her holiday, that's much worse than homesickness

My parents were both here throughout the entire summer holidays (9 weeks) and when they left a few weeks ago, you could hear a pin drop in our house.

It was awful, I wasn't homesick, just familysick for a few weeks.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but wait until your Mum leaves to go back to the UK after her holiday, that's much worse than homesickness

My parents were both here throughout the entire summer holidays (9 weeks) and when they left a few weeks ago, you could hear a pin drop in our house.

It was awful, I wasn't homesick, just familysick for a few weeks.
I think that is making it worse, as I'm so excited and she's been away for a week in Devon so haven't spoken on skype all that time.

You've just set me off again.... Off to get more tissues....
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:40 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is making it worse, as I'm so excited and she's been away for a week in Devon so haven't spoken on skype all that time.

I went through it a few weeks ago, people sickness not home sickness. Please use us, we may not be able to be there with you, but we can empathise.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
I went through it a few weeks ago, people sickness not home sickness. Please use us, we may not be able to be there with you, but we can empathise.
Oh - poor you.... I guess it is people sickness as I don't long for England really... It's the people I've left behind, and all the animals, I know it sounds silly but I was so close to my friends dogs and all their horses, esp their foals.... I used to take the dogs for walks on my own, and look after their farm when they were away.... Silly isn't it...
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:54 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Oh - poor you.... I guess it is people sickness as I don't long for England really... It's the people I've left behind, and all the animals, I know it sounds silly but I was so close to my friends dogs and all their horses, esp their foals.... I used to take the dogs for walks on my own, and look after their farm when they were away.... Silly isn't it...
No I fully understand, I came to Canada without my dog and had to wait 2 months before he came over that was the longest time; I had no one to keep my feet warm
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say hi and send a hug - we can all empathise to some degree and it hits everyone in different ways, to different degrees, at different times. You go sort out the tissues and come back and say hello to us all again shortly
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:59 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

It's the people I've left behind, and all the animals, I know it sounds silly but I was so close to my friends dogs and all their horses, esp their foals.... I used to take the dogs for walks on my own, and look after their farm when they were away.... Silly isn't it...
I feel for you bandit, I've been here 3yrs & still get 'people' sick

Maybe you should jump on the ferry & spend the day here on the Island ..... a few hours with my motley crew should help with the sickness (or scare you to death ) ....... at the very least it should raise a smile
Attached Thumbnails Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....-april-2008-058.jpg   Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....-august-08-083.jpg   Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....-august-08-242.jpg   Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....-june-2008-207.jpg  
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bananahammock
I feel for you bandit, I've been here 3yrs & still get 'people' sick

Maybe you should jump on the ferry & spend the day here on the Island ..... a few hours with my motley crew should help with the sickness (or scare you to death ) ....... at the very least it should raise a smile
Oh my Goodnes....

I not good on birds, is the green one meant to look like he's just been for a swim??? As for the horsey ones - love em.... I very well may come over to you......!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:13 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

{big butch non-gay manhug to Danny}

R.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:14 am
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my Goodnes....

I not good on birds, is the green one meant to look like he's just been for a swim??? As for the horsey ones - love em.... I very well may come over to you......!
Yep, he'd just had his weekly spa ....... normally he looks like this ......... I'm not sure how long the Cockatiel will last ...... one big bite and

Oh, & maybe the puss will chill you out
Attached Thumbnails Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....-june-2008-048.jpg   Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....-june-2008-062.jpg   Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....-jan-2008-071.jpg  

Last edited by bananahammock; Sep 18th 2008 at 3:17 am.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Yep, he'd just had his weekly spa ....... normally he looks like this ......... I'm not sure how long the Cockatiel will last ...... one big bite and

Oh, & maybe the puss will chill you out
The cat has evil red eyes....! Is it possessed???? You have quite a farm yard of animals eh?!??
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:25 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Sympathy and hugs going out to you - we've all been there. Said it to someone on here before - fake it till you make it.

We've been over almost 10 months now, and the last couple of months has been pretty tough. My OH had to dash home as his mum had heart attack/stroke, sadly died a couple of days later. I went out a day or so after, and we had a very weird happy/sad week. Nice to see all the family etc, but obviously sad for the reason for the trip. OH was there for about 10 days, I was only there for 6 days. Then we came back as I had a job interview. Week later, OH goes offshore for a month, i get the news that i didn't get the job and i just ended up in a heap. I think sometimes it just all hits you at once. I wasn't prepared to go home, felt like the whole trip was a bit of a dream and now I was back and just felt so far away again.

You just have to be nice to yourself and take it day by day, bit by bit. The friends will come along in time naturally - I know we have been amazingly lucky with the friends we have made here (mainly through expats!). The offer from banahammock is amazing as well, and I am sure would help boost the spirits in more ways than one.

good luck and just remember to take care of yourself.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:37 am
Bristolish expat

The cat has evil red eyes....! Is it possessed???? You have quite a farm yard of animals eh?!??

Quite possibly possessed, plus the other one has toilet possession issues & we've just parted company with our Crested Gecko (who had abnormally large balls!!) & was called Mr Sinister ......
Still fancy a visit or are you scared yet?

Hope I stopped the tissue supply from running out for a minute
Attached Thumbnails Help - First bouts of Homesickness.....-cat-001.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.