Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Help, blocked drain, no money.

Help, blocked drain, no money.

Old May 24th 2013, 5:10 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, blocked drain, no money.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It's usually greener over the septic field, not the septic tank. The tank simply holds
Indeed me' learned friend. An astute observation. Could it be that septic fields are your area of expertise ?
However the late Irma specified "the tank". It's the title of one of the numerous humorous amusing books that she wrote. Maybe you should point out this glaring error to her estate.
End of !
Old May 24th 2013, 5:10 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
It's in Drano which you can buy in your local supermarket in the cleaning section. Word of warning. NEVER PUT WATER ON THE DRANO CRYSTALS OR IT WILL EXPLODE ! Read the directions carefully.
Another option is Liquid Plumber.
It is but I was trying to think of methods of clearing a drain from household items that may be lying around with no cost impact to Siouxe.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
Today I went down to do my laundry and went to rinse the sink that the washing machine drains into
Is it a top loader or front loader?

(I wouldn't have posted that if you'd not had useful replies.)
Old May 24th 2013, 5:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is it a top loader or front loader?

(I wouldn't have posted that if you'd not had useful replies.)
Top loader - and full of water and clothes.

It could have been worse - I could have not checked the sink and ended up with a flooded basement!

Last edited by Siouxie; May 24th 2013 at 5:25 am.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:54 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The pipe is warmish right to the point where it reaches the main drainline.
In that case, it doesn't sound like the problem is in the trap under the sink - it's further downstream.

What is the next nearest downstream inlet into that main drainline?
Old May 24th 2013, 6:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
In that case, it doesn't sound like the problem is in the trap under the sink - it's further downstream.

What is the next nearest downstream inlet into that main drainline?
The same one that the upstairs sink drains into - which is draining perfectly. That is what is so weird!

Edited to add, the upstairs sink drain flows from the basement ceiling, across the ceiling then down the wall to the drainline; the sink in the basement goes horizontally along the same wall to the drainline (with a decline in the level).

Last edited by Siouxie; May 24th 2013 at 6:06 am.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The same one that the upstairs sink drains into - which is draining perfectly. That is what is so weird!

Edited to add, the upstairs sink drain flows from the basement ceiling, across the ceiling then down the wall to the drainline; the sink in the basement goes horizontally along the same wall to the drainline (with a decline in the level).

Got any photos?
Old May 24th 2013, 6:17 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

No plumbing expertise but towels, are good for mopping up excess water once you have bailed out the sink as much as you can.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:18 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
No plumbing expertise but towels, are good for mopping up excess water once you have bailed out the sink as much as you can.
That is really helpful Bats
Old May 24th 2013, 6:22 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
That is really helpful Bats
Cept she won't be able to wash them....
Old May 24th 2013, 6:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Cept she won't be able to wash them....
Tis true, but the floor will be dry. Our plumbing issues have so far cost $225 to get the septic emptied, the pump is knackered and the dividing wall is crumbling, but at least I can have a quick (shallow) bath and go to work now....
Old May 24th 2013, 6:31 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of thoughts...
does the sink in the basement have an overflow outlet? If so, make sure you stuff the overflow hole with a wet rag before plunging the sink, otherwise all you're doing is cleaning out the overflow pipe.

It sounds as if the blockage is right where the horizontal run meets the stack. If the upstairs sink is draining sweetly, one thing you might try is to put the plug in the upstairs sink, then fill it up with very hot water and unplug it. That volume of water coming down the stack all at once may be enough to cause a pressure change at the junction and dislodge whatever it is blocking the basement line.

Failing that, does any of your neighbours have a drain snake you could borrow?
Old May 24th 2013, 6:46 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Tis true, but the floor will be dry. Our plumbing issues have so far cost $225 to get the septic emptied, the pump is knackered and the dividing wall is crumbling, but at least I can have a quick (shallow) bath and go to work now....
I've spent $8k in the past year to improve the quantity and quality of our well water.

Siouxe, Is it your own house or do you rent? If the latter then call the landlord!
Old May 24th 2013, 7:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Since the sink isn't going to be drained, don't bother with Liquid Plumber or similar, it'll be diluted too much. Get one of those cans that you shove into the pipe and then bash, it kind of explodes down the pipe in the manner of a kinetic ram. That'll work under water (at least it'll work as well under water as if it wasn't under water).
Old May 24th 2013, 7:24 am
Banned

Thanks for all the suggestions to date - I am trying various ones but have a feeling I am going to end up having to buy plumbers stuff to clear it.

I own the house.. starting to wish I didn't, lol.

I will ask around the neighbours to see if anyone has any tools, I have to wait until they get home this evening though.

It's obviously my day for having crap go wrong, sigh. Just got an email to say that the woman who was supposed to be revamping my website has decided not to continue after all - 11 days after signing a contract - as she 'can't use the software'. This from a woman who has a Masters in this stuff and a choice of 30 different programs she can use.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

I have to go out shortly so won't be able to respond any more until tomorrow, but thank you everyone for your assistance and advice!

edit: Thanks dbd - will have a look at those too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.