heating systems

Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:37 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: heating systems

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Ahh. Thanks for enlightening me. We still have the original hardwood and not too much in the way of unsightly gaps so I believe we can live without the joys of three quarter round for now.
I don't like them much myself but they have their uses. In this case, they served to eliminate a draught.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

My little house in NS has a Benjamin hot air wood and oil furnace and I have recently put a wood burning stove in the main lounge area. The house isn't huge and it's open plan, so the heat from the stove finds its way into other parts of the house. Generally, wood is used for the furnace but you can switch it to oil as simply as flicking a switch. I guess, traditionally, the hot air from the furnace is blown through a series of vents in each of the rooms providing almost instantaneous heat. My hot water comes from a separate oil hot water heater. My ideal would be to put some sort of coil into the furnace and use the heat from that to heat the water during the winter and then have an electric immersion take over during the summer but it really upsets the insurance people. Does anyone know any other ways this might be done?

Last edited by laser558; Oct 28th 2008 at 6:35 am.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 7:05 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I've got cement floors with radiant heat. Hot water for the pipework's supplied by a tank, with a supplementary combi-boiler for any other hot water needs.